• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling weak and shaky when overdone things

knackers323

As well as feeling drained of energy, does anyone feel shaky when have over exerted themselves and used too much of their energy supply?

The strange thing is I don’t akways get this shaky feeling when I’ve overdone things though

Any thoughts on the cause?

Mimicry

I definitely do. It’s gotten worse over the last two years :( So annoying! It’s usually accompanied by pain and weakness.

If I had to guess the cause, I’d say it’s the lack of ATP in the nerves and muscles. But I’m not an expert and don’t have much knowledge about the biochemistry of muscles.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I can feel weak, shaky, dizzy, and nauseous when I've pushed outside my energy envelope. And that's before the usual PEM hits. Years ago, before I learned to be so careful about staying within the energy envelope, I would also get 'coat-hanger pain' across my shoulders.

Mimicry

I can feel weak, shaky, dizzy, and nauseous when I've pushed outside my energy envelope. And that's before the usual PEM hits. Years ago, before I learned to be so careful about staying within the energy envelope, I would also get 'coat-hanger pain' across my shoulders.

Same! My PEM usually hits the next day after overexerting, but the shakiness and weakness gets worse immediately. Actually I’m a bit shaky all the time, but it could be due to some neuropathy stuff since my whole body feels like its ”buzzing” and I have muscle twitches and gnawing pain all the time even when I’m not experiencing PEM. (Or it could be that I’m in constant mild PEM state since I’m too restless to rest properly and I want to be doing something all te time.)

The coat-hanger pain sounds interesting. My shoulders and the back of my neck and head are often stiff and painful, but I thought it’s just because I lie in bed so much. It makes sense that it could also be a POTS thing.

I am recovering from coronavirus at the moment that I had in March. It was only mild thank goodness but since then I have had a relapse with my ME that doesn't seem to want to go away. I am permanently feeling shaky and sometimes have to use crutches to steady myself when I am walking. You mentioned coat hanger pain, I have fibromyalgia which I have been told is quite common in people who have ME so I have a lot of pain in my neck an shoulders.

rel8ted

As well as feeling drained of energy, does anyone feel shaky when have over exerted themselves and used too much of their energy supply?

The strange thing is I don’t akways get this shaky feeling when I’ve overdone things though

Any thoughts on the cause?

Of I have gotten to the point of being shaky, it usually means a couple of days of bed/couch rest to recover. I have learned that in my case, I have to pay very, very careful attention to my heart rate and not cross that anaerobic threshold.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I experience the same when I overexert myself, my legs and hands became shaky and I feel a generalized muscle weakness

Dechi

Yes, I do feel weak and shaky a lot. And if I keep going longer, there will also be dizziness and other unpleasant symptoms.

lenora

@deb74......I'm sorry you had the virus and hope that once you get out of your flare, that life will settle back to what's normal for you.

I had terrible FM for years and years, and then one day I noticed that it had more or less changed form. I've also suffered a number of falls (10 to be exact) since January due to coming off steroids and anemia. I now have pain between my shoulder blades all the time, can't stay in bed for longer than 20 min. at a time, exhausted to get out and then exhausted when I get back in. I'm hoping that some of this will go away when the anemia clears. So what I'm trying to say, is that it's true that the pain can/does change form as we get older and I was actually feeling not too bad until I had congestive heart failure in April. I hope yours will also disappear or change with time.

Each day for over 30++ years I've had to get ready for bed between 4-5:00 p.m. It's a time when my body just can't take anymore....by then I've been up for hours, sometimes all night, and I'm just worn out. People know not to call me after that time b/c I'm too exhausted to talk. Too exhuasted for anything, really. I perk up a bit after I've taken my meds and put on a compound cream for pain. I don't know how long you've been affected, but I do hope the researchers will come up with more than they have over the past no. of years. A lot of it wasn't their fault, there wasn't much in the way of govt. funding, the computer came along...and oh, the changes we've seen over the years. I think you'll have a much higher change of an answer of sorts (at least) than my age group ever did. We served our purpose, I have other illnesses that I helped set up support groups for and ME was not ever a primary diagnosis. Thank goodness I had a neurologist who had the good sense and knowledge to recognize it. Look, I just wanted to wish you, all of you, well. It's a most unpleasant illness and stops lives when it's really bad. Yours, Lenora.