• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue May Be the Wrong Term

hapl808

I do something (or almost nothing) and the BB drops. Energy is expended. Sometimes it rises smartly when I rest

Mine goes down if I'm resting, too. If I'm lying in bed working on my laptop, it will drop about 10 points within an hour or two. It only goes up if I'm actually sleeping, and if I'm not in any crash. If I'm crashed, it won't go up at all, even during sleep. Or I've had nights where I sleep seven hours and it goes from 5 to 10.

It's quite interesting to see - if only any medical professionals were even vaguely interested in that.

hapl808

@Jyoti that is very interesting. I never heard of a body battery before. I will have to look into it. I wonder how it works?

It's Garmin's proprietary algorithm, but I believe it's just a combination of heart rate and heart rate variability.

Jyoti

From the Garmin site:

The Body Battery feature works by continuously analyzing combinations of heart rate, heart rate variability (HRV) and movement data while you wear your device. The goal of this analysis is to identify meaningful physiological states and to describe the impact they have on your body’s energy levels. At a high level, this means documenting if you are awake or asleep, when you are physically active and tracking stress levels during periods of inactivity.

There is a fair amount about it in this thread too.

And I would add that not only can it show your friends and family that you have done as much as you possibly can, it is primarily a tool --once you get to know your own patterns--to help you (or me, because I am prone to ignoring the signs) to stop and rest when you are hitting your low limit.

Artemisia

Mine goes down if I'm resting, too. If I'm lying in bed working on my laptop, it will drop about 10 points within an hour or two. It only goes up if I'm actually sleeping, and if I'm not in any crash. If I'm crashed, it won't go up at all, even during sleep. Or I've had nights where I sleep seven hours and it goes from 5 to 10.

It's quite interesting to see - if only any medical professionals were even vaguely interested in that.
I'm amazed at how little intellectual curiosity medical professionals have about this. Or scientists or researchers.

Energy production is a foundational element of living organisms. If someone dedicates their career to biology and the study of life, this phenomenon should be profoundly intriguing.

Artemisia

Besides the cost, the thing that holds me back about these body tracking devices is the emfs. Have you found it to be an issue, those of you who are sensitive to electromagnetic fields? @hapl808 for example

I really don't think emf from the watch is going to be a problem. Everything gives off some emf from your computer to appliances to a light bulb and your cell phone is the biggest source of emf you get typically in a day when you make a call. The phone works with the watch but the phone would not be transmitting, it would receive signals from the watch. I'm not sure how close the phone has to be

It seems like a very important thing to have since it can warn you in advance if you are running down rapidly so you can take a break. I agree with the advice to get it. I'm not sure if the vivosmart 4 is best or the vivosmart 5 which costs more. Then they have another one, I forget the model which is more expensive yet, maybe that one is best?

It seems like it might be possible if you are very careful using the watch, you might never overexert and never have pem or a crash. From what I've read, people seem to say that crashes often lead to permanent reduction in ability, so I'm thinking even a minor episode of pem might hold you back some as well. The people who get worse do they try to push through or was it unavoidable? It may be nothing I can do will stop it from progressing but I intend to try. People who improved from what I read, usually have tried a number of things and have a system. Maybe they managed symptoms better?

I would have to watch it basically all day and particularly after doing some task like taking out the garbage or going for a little walk. I might be able to say the rest of the day has to be minimum movement because I'm low and maybe don't realize it and therefore avoid the pem or bad crash. I'm willing to do that. Or it might say I can walk farther tonight or go out and do something since I did well all day. That seems like it will be valuable information if it really works

Artemisia

I don't have Wi-Fi in my house and I rarely use a cell phone. I access the Internet using ethernet cable.

So the watch works on wi-fi, correct? Or even worse, cell signal. I have devices that measure the frequencies coming off of cell phones and Wi-Fi routers and the radiation is extremely high. It doesn't seem ideal to have a Wi-Fi or cell data receptor, or whatever the correct terminology is, on your body at all times. I realize that not everyone thinks the radiation is a problem, but it is to me. However, I can see how the information from these devices would be valuable.

Unfortunately since I have no one to care for me, I think these devices would just tell me that basic daily tasks of living are pushing me over my threshold, when I don't have a choice but to continue to do them.

Artemisia, I share your concerns about emf. It has been proven to cause harm at high levels and no one can prove what low levels do since it would take years and millions $ to study it.

What I do is I have my computer hooked up with google voice so that calls come to the computer as well as the phone. I encourage people to text me rather than call or to leave a message. The vast majority of calls are scams or sales people anyway so they hang up and I avoid that. Signal is low in my house so I have to use wifi to make the phone work. Yes it puts out some radio waves but its as low as can be and still work. We do not live in a perfect world

Having a phone next to your head is not a great idea but phones are needed. I guess a home phone would be a good compromise if someone rarely goes out but what if you need it? Even a home phone puts out some emf.

A receiver does not put out any signal, no emf. Ok I lied, a tv will put out a very tiny signal, in uk they drive by and listen for that to catch people who didn't pay the tv tax, lol. The phone when not in use can receive data apparently from the watch or do you down load it every so often? But the phone when not actively in a call, does not transmit anything.

I wonder what model of battery watch people favor? Is the cheap one just as good?

Dysfunkion

It depends on how sensitive you are, a smart watch would ruin me but I have sensitivity so severe that it's literally life threatening not too have shielding on my electronics. In fact funny this topic is brought up today because I am all EMF'd up just from typing too much but in order to do that I need to be typing so much for so long that my finger hurt and it was an entry for a writing project I'm doing. From a phone with a normal cell signal going out of it without wifi enabled I'm alright as long as the phone is away from me, I'll only get sick if I hold it to my head for too long. Usually with lower grade over exposures like i had today I'll get brain foggy, my vision will get somewhat cloudy, I'll feel some slight tension in my head/neck, I'll get a mild sense of doom and feeling like I want to cry, feel disconnected from my surroundings, and some facial heating. As the exposure gets worse it and the crippling brain fatigue it comes with will get worse. My environment is also bad, really high end read outs fro wireless radiation in my current space and I can't move either so I'm constantly getting a steady dose of the stuff regardless. I survive it as long as I'm at least a couple rooms away from a wifi transmitter.

On the topic of this thread about "brain fatigue" though it's different from regular fatigue, like right now I am physcally fine and today I'm actually feeling a bit stronger but it's distinctly an exhaustion of my brain itself that leads me feeling faint and weak overall. It's very difficult to describe that one.

hapl808

So the watch works on wi-fi, correct?

The Garmin Vivosmart works on bluetooth, not wifi - so it's much lower power. In addition, you can turn off the bluetooth and only activate it for a few minutes to download info to your phone. I use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but not wifi. That said, my neighbors have wifi, so I can't eliminate exposure - but it's much better than when I was sitting five feet from my router.

I'm amazed at how little intellectual curiosity medical professionals have about this. Or scientists or researchers.

This is why I'm so pro-AI. Human researchers have no curiosity, and no interest in helping us. If AI can figure something out, it is less likely to be biased against humans it 'feels' aren't working as hard as they should be (which is how most people view us, despite us spending every waking moment trying to improve).

Most of the scare-mongering about AI is from people who are concerned about retaining their own power, so they want to scare other people. Whenever someone is telling me to be scared, I always look twice. Sometimes it's real - but right now the news is saying H5N1 is fine and nothing to worry about, but hyping up other things with constant coverage. I trust them not at all.

Back