• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extremely Severe ME/CFS-A Personal Account. Dafoe, W, 2021

Murph

:)
Extremely Severe ME/CFS-A Personal Account
Whitney Dafoe 1
DOI: 10.3390/healthcare9050504

Abstract

A personal account from an Extremely Severe Bedridden ME/CFS patient about the experience of living with extremely severe ME/CFS. Illness progression, medical history, description of various aspects of extremely severe ME/CFS and various essays on specific experiences are included.

Full text at the link: https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/9/5/504/htm

Severe ME/CFS List in Brief—Summarizing My Quality of Life

• I haven’t left my room for 7 years, except when I have to go to the hospital to change my J-tube feeding tube out of medical necessity. I am only able to do this without dying by being sedated with Ativan the entire time, as well as Fentanyl and Versed during the procedure;
  • I haven’t been touched by another human being without it hurting me in 7 years;
  • I haven’t been able to speak for 7 years. I haven’t had a conversation with another human being in 8 years;
  • I haven’t eaten a crumb of food or felt a drop of water in my mouth in 6 years. I’m alive because of nutrients being pumped into my body with machines and tubes;
  • I haven’t taken a shower in 7 years. I clean the most necessary parts of myself with baby wipes every day and it absolutely exhausts me. I can’t handle having someone else clean me;
  • I haven’t cut my own toenails in 7 years;
  • I haven’t been able to hold or even touch my camera in 7 years (photography is my passion and my life);
  • I haven’t peed standing up in 9 years. I haven’t walked to the bathroom to pee in 7 years. I pee in a urinal in bed;
  • I haven’t made love to a woman in 9 years. I haven’t been sexual in any way in 5 years;
  • I haven’t brushed my teeth in 6 years. It hurts my stomach, making it worse and putting my ability to tolerate the feeding tube at risk, which puts my life at risk;
  • I haven’t seen a dentist in 9 years;
  • I haven’t been able to tolerate the sound of another person’s voice without being sedated in 7 years. I wear heavy-duty earmuffs whenever my caregivers are in my room for the bare minimum of time. They can’t talk and have to be as quiet and gentle as possible;
  • I haven’t felt like a human being in 7 years. All humanity has been taken from me by ME/CFS. I live only to continue living. There is no love, joy, passion or creation, only endless, numbered days; (See Appendix A.1)
  • I fight to survive for all those living and dying in silence and darkness (see Appendix A.3).

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9032/9/5/504/htm

LINE

I am truly sorry you have had to endure this.

If I may ask, any tests for parasites which would include protozoa, cestodes and nematodes? I host a forum for protozoa parasites and know the difficulty of getting a positive diagnosis, especially when the parasites are not the popular ones found in most testing labs. I know some top level parasitologists, let me know if you need contact info.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Apols, mods, please merge.

Actually I think Whitney is worth multiple threads. We need to keep remembering what he's going through and keep him, Dr Ron and Janet, and this disease in lots of prayer.

Edit: Oops...and people like Dr Phair who are working so tirelessly on this disease as well.

Last edited:

perrier

"ME/CFS is not generally defined by inability, but by consequences." wrote Whitney Dafoe. And that really in a nutshell describes a good deal. This is a brilliant piece that Whitney wrote.