• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Guide

Andrew

This exercise guide by Dr. Irma Rey is the best exercise guide I've found to date. It starts off talking about simple movements while lying in bed and how to keep from exerting too much. Then she goes on and covers all the bases about avoiding anaerobic exercise, pacing, and how to tell if it is okay to increase. It's apparent that she read the research, and she covered all or most of it. I only found myself wincing once or twice when she didn't repeat cautions in a couple spots. But so far this is the best I've seen. I would feel okay showing this to my doctor.

http://cfsknowledgecenter.com/rey.php

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks for posting this, Andrew - I agree, it's really good. She appears to be a colleague of Dr Klimas (in fact, Dr Klimas introduces her in this conference presentation).

It's about 15 minutes of specific advice based on the research and that we could all readily implement, since she covers the range from bedbound upwards. I found her recommendation of staying below a heart rate of 90 bpm useful - we had a long, complicated discussion some while back on Stacy Stevens' approach to calculating what PWC's max heart rate should be and we got absolutely nowhere despite our best combined efforts! This is clear, simple, specific and she knows her CFS stuff so I feel we can have confidence in it.

I think it would be good to have a transcipt or at least a bullet-point summary of the key bits. Perhaps the latter would even be preferable to make it easy for people to remember what they should do when they refer to it. I'm sorry I'm not up to providing one! The whole thing is about 15 mins. If anyone felt able to do this (maybe shared in 5 min chunks or something) I know a lot of us would be very grateful!

Andrew

I was going to try to email Dr. Rey and ask if we could transcribe it along with what credits she would like us to include. But I'm too bogged down now.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Thank you very much for this video. I learned some things.

It was Interesting to me that she talked about POTS symptoms a lot. I have POTS and I was wondering if it is a part of CFS or separate. I had CFS for 18 years and THEN became ill with POTS.

I am glad she adressed this part of CFS since it is harder (for me) than just CFS.

It is a full time job to keep learning about the conditions and all of my supplements. I will keep at it. Thanks again.

Andrew

Thank you very much for this video. I learned some things.

It was Interesting to me that she talked about POTS symptoms a lot. I have POTS and I was wondering if it is a part of CFS or separate. I had CFS for 18 years and THEN became ill with POTS.
I received some POTS brochures and now I lost them. I really need to look into this. Do you have an info site you recommend?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I received some POTS brochures and now I lost them. I really need to look into this. Do you have an info site you recommend?

Cort has a page on orthostatic intolerance (of which POTS is a subcategory) here and if you follow the links there's some great stuff. There have been a lot of threads on this on PR as well (I started some when I got diagnosed and had a ton of questions).

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, I hope you can find the threads. I have finally started to get better with supplements. There are things that can help if you have a really good doctor that knows about supplements