• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Excessive Vein Dilation?

Jwarrior77

Does anyone else have veins that seem to excessively dilate for no reason? I have POTS / Dysautonomia so I know it's related to this. They get dilated when exposed to heat, eating different foods, and even emotional upset or stress. I believe it could be related to MCAS however not entirely sure. I know lots of people have issues with their BP, vasodilation, and vasoconstriction but it seems way too excessive for me. I can literally see almost every vein in my arms and fingers.

Pictures don't do it justice. Its also happens in other parts of my body such as ankles and feet. It can get worse when upright as gravity pulls the blood down causing it to pool however it happens most of the time laying down. Also I know some people are naturally vascular but I never was. I know it's related to my illness because it only sprung up out of no where when I got sick. The pooling goes away once I lift my arm up and my veins become normal again. My veins have also become way more stretchier/weak to accommodate all the excess blood. I'll attach some pics to show what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to figure what is causing it and if there are any solutions to help make it better.
IMG_20190820_072822.jpg
IMG_20190803_123825.jpg
IMG_20190906_162748.jpg

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

Does anyone else have veins that seem to excessively dilate for no reason? I have POTS / Dysautonomia so I know it's related to this. They get dilated when exposed to heat, eating different foods, and even emotional upset or stress. I believe it could be related to MCAS however not entirely sure

Sounds very familiar. I have this, most intensely on my right hand. The right side of my body is more ill, and so there are weird right side symptoms. My hand looks alot like your photo, with more age...wrinkles, spots, fun!

The surface large veins on my right swell up, and it creeps up my arm sometimes...its a sign I am more inflammed and run down. Its also tingly and odd feeling. This same area also has itches without any actual rash, some neuropathy/tingling on the right side of my hand. I stare at my hand, like some snake ncreature is living inside of it. An odd feeling.

So it feels very neurological...

You seem to have really good- fingertips. Not wrinkled up or collapsed- mine are quite intense. My fingerprints are nearly gone, my thumb print won't trigger the machine.

Nice nails, too! Mine are- awful, weak, ridged, sometimes with vertical cracks.

Jwarrior77

@Rufous McKinney Really interesting. Perhaps it is indeed something neurological going on there. The fact that it feels inflamed and the area can sometimes itch suggests that there is increased inflammation or maybe histamine getting released. At least that's what it feels like for me as if there is something in my blood causing my veins to expand and get warm.

Yeah my fingertips and nails are still holding on pretty good haha. Probably because I'm on the younger side over here. I have lost my fingernail moons however. The ones on my thumbs are the only left. I think it's a sign of poor circulation which makes sense since a lot of us have issues with that. I've heard some reports that after they got their circulation issues under control / POTS issues, their fingernail moons returned.

Jwarrior77

I have the same thing. Started to appear on the back of my hands at the exact same time when my ME downward spiral happened. No idea why, neither have doctors I've asked. They all say it's normal.

Same here. I had a nurse tell me to stop obsessing over it when I literally just brought it up once as a question. I guess asking for help about what could be going on is discouraged these days.

YippeeKi YOW !!

If I'm remembering right, and there's no telling, missing fingernail moons are associated with issues with your thyroid or pituitary gland, sometimes iron deficiency, and possibly B-12 deficiency. It's also been associated with adrenal insufficiency, but then what hasn't.

lenora

Hello.....Those could have been my hands and arms a number of years ago. I'm older now, so even more shows up. I have extremely thin skin, and perhaps you do also. The veins also disappear if I raise my arms over my head, but vanity has now left me and as that good old sage Popeye used to say, "I y'am what I y'am." Seriously, though, yes I do have problems in that my hands get so cold in the winter that I wear fingerless gloves to even read. It's painful and gets more and more that way each year.

In the summer, the problems are directly in reverse. I get so hot that I feel like I'm cooking from the inside out, although at the same time, it's painful for me to be directly under air conditioning. I always have to have super warm slippers and will pay for quality ones with good support. I have no moons on any of my fingernails except my thumbs. I think that while this may be under the heading of "Abnormal" that it's one of the more common ones. A lot of people have it, especially as we age, although your arms and hands look quite young. Also, interestingly enough, well over 30+ years ago when this all began, I started out with a pituitary tumor. It was controlled by a medication...which I'll be forever grateful for. The surgery didn't sound very appealing.

There are things we can do something about, and others that aren't worth the worry that goes into them. You're younger than my daughters (I think, if 77 is a hint), and time has a way of letting us understand that we're going to be OK in spite of having so many odd things wrong. I wish you well. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwarrior77

@YippeeKi YOW !! So I just did a quick check and it says that it could be from anemia, malnutrition, and depression. So I was probably wrong about the circulation thing. For me it's probably malnutrition since my gut doesn't want to absorb anything. I've also got extensive thyroid testing in the past and it's always come back normal. The last time I checked my b12 and iron was good as well and all my adrenal testing came back either normal or high ( high cortisol in morning ). Thanks for making me aware of the other stuff.

lenora

I hope you'll not unduly worry yourself(ves) about this vein dilation. I can remember having it as a very young teen and it has never caused me any real troubles. Yes, it may be a sign of something else, but that will be found in due course. A lot of people suffer from this very thing.

Rufous brought up a good point: I have serious trouble on my l. side and that's where the veins in my leg are the worse. Both hands are just about equal (and in spite of this no one can ever get blood when a draw is necessary). Out of interest, to help you if you have problems with blood draws, may I suggest that you follow what someone told me years ago....a butterfly needle, child size is the easiest and least painful way to get blood from us. May health be yours. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

pattismith

Me too. They've done this for years. I also have OI (probably NMH, not POTS) so I assume it's related.
Do your hand palms turn reddish when you stand with down hands?
Do they turn pale when you raise them ?

lenora

@YippeeKi YOW !! So I just did a quick check and it says that it could be from anemia, malnutrition, and depression. So I was probably wrong about the circulation thing. For me it's probably malnutrition since my gut doesn't want to absorb anything. I've also got extensive thyroid testing in the past and it's always come back normal. The last time I checked my b12 and iron was good as well and all my adrenal testing came back either normal or high ( high cortisol in morning ). Thanks for making me aware of the other stuff.

Just a quick note to make you aware of what to ask for with blood tests. I had an unsettling experience in January when I had seizures (not for the first time...they began about a year ago). Anyway, I was left unconscious for two days (caused by the seizures, not meds), and all of my electrolytes were not in balance. Sodium especially was out of whack, so with summer coming up I thought I'd warn you and everyone else to make certain that you're getting some salt. (Caused by too much water.) I now have Autoimmune Encephalitis to add to everything else. Electrolytes can be checked during your annual blood draws, but you have to request it of both the Dr. and the technician. The seizures actually began last May when I fell about 6" and broke one wrist and injured the other. I'd hate to see anyone else unnecessarily go through this. Quite honestly, I think the January episode caused some slight brain damage. I'm just not as sharp as I used to be. I was probably having seizures all year without realizing it. My husband said I'd sometimes just phase out (a sign), and the 6" fall was another sign. Oh, the things we do to ourselves!!! Yours, Lenora.

Rufous McKinney

Really interesting. Perhaps it is indeed something neurological going on there.

Well, I think several things are going on and combining to create- the VEIN (vain) Effect.

And yes I think your younger- your version is much more attractive than mine, take my word for it. Plus I have red head spots...the grandbaby is counting them, and uttering inquiring sounds. Her skin is- flawless. (see Story of Ruth).

So the skin is thinning and this maybe part of the collagen breakdown that may occur in some of us from the virus. And then I think the vein walls also have collagen and are generally weaker. And then something neurological is causing the dilation, which feels really creepy in my opinion when its coming on particularly strongly.

There is no rash meanwhile at all yet my hand itches....later in the day when more rundown mostly. I assume this is some type of mCAS thing.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Do your hand palms turn reddish when you stand with down hands?

Yes! The redness starts with my fingertips and creeps upwards to my fingers and then palm. It's more visible in the fingers. It happens so quickly that I can watch it happen over the course of 10-30 seconds. My fingers and palm also take on a mottled appearance.

Do they turn pale when you raise them ?

Yes. It just takes a few seconds.

Is this another sign of vascular autonomic neuropathy?