• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

every time I have more dreams and nightmares

Wishful

I see that I completely stop tolerating melatonin, I even get in a bad mood when taking it and feel sleepy all day, how strange when before it was the opposite and I was even more relaxed,

ME changes over time. I've had foods that I've tolerated well, then became intolerant to, then tolerated again. I've had treatments that worked well the first few doses, but then stopped working and never worked again. The body is a complex bunch of interlinked processes, and if one changes for some reason, it may affect others.

I simply expect my ME to change, and I treat the negative changes as just more hurdles to overcome or get used to.

You may regain tolerance for melatonin in the future. You'll have to retest it once in a while to see what your response is.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't tolerate melatonin after taking it for years, a little already leaves me hungover all day

I don't do well on melatonin either. I don't know why I didn't mention this before but have you tried tart cherry. It does help me but without making me feel hungover or headachy the next day. However, I only open the capsule and take a small amount.

From there I found that adding calcium hydroxipatate to the tart cherry worked even better. Again, I only do pinches.

Those two alone worked well for me for at least a year.

Anyway, whatever you do remember to start low and go slow.

Hope you can find something.

Last edited:

eric_gladiator

ME changes over time. I've had foods that I've tolerated well, then became intolerant to, then tolerated again. I've had treatments that worked well the first few doses, but then stopped working and never worked again. The body is a complex bunch of interlinked processes, and if one changes for some reason, it may affect others.

I simply expect my ME to change, and I treat the negative changes as just more hurdles to overcome or get used to.

You may regain tolerance for melatonin in the future. You'll have to retest it once in a while to see what your response is.

Sometimes I have thought if it could be due to something that I have been developing, I even came to think that it could be due to a possible apnea that the doctors and polygraphy have ruled out... I do not find it normal that before taking high doses of melatonin they did not make me almost nothing and now minimal doses make me drowsy all the time. I will still have to try different classes over time, such as drops or delayed prolongation melatonin in case I find something that works for me.

eric_gladiator

I don't do well on melatonin either. I don't know why I didn't mention this before but have you tried tart cherry. It does help me but without making me feel hungover or headachy the next day. However, I only open the capsule and take a small amount.

From there I found that adding calcium hydroxipatate to the tart cherry worked even better. Again, I only do pinches.

Those two alone worked well for me for at least a year.

Anyway, whatever you do remember to start low and go slow.

Hope you can find something.

I had never heard of pie cherry but now that I take a look I see that many use it for uric acid. What benefits are cherry pie supposed to bring to patients like us?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I had never heard of pie cherry but now that I take a look I see that many use it for uric acid. What benefits are cherry pie supposed to bring to patients like us?

It is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. It also has natural melatonin but doesn't seem to give a "hangover" the way a specific melatonin supplement does.

Like I said, I can't even take tiny amounts of melatonin from a supplement but I can take tart cherry. Sweet cherry works too but they say the tart cherry is better.

eric_gladiator

It is supposed to be anti-inflammatory. It also has natural melatonin but doesn't seem to give a "hangover" the way a specific melatonin supplement does.

Like I said, I can't even take tiny amounts of melatonin from a supplement but I can take tart cherry. Sweet cherry works too but they say the tart cherry is better.

I understand, do you think that could help my dreams and nightmares? I'm just looking to have a better quality sleep, I don't have problems falling asleep but I do have intense dreams when I'm in deep sleep

In the next few days I will get a bottle and I will comment on the experience, I hope I do not have problems with reishi and cordyceps that I am also currently taking

eric_gladiator

I have tried the cherry pie and I am getting a negative result very similar to melatonin, in itself it helps me to fall asleep naturally but the next day I am sleepy and I feel irritable during the day. Curious that things that help me sleep I can't tolerate them, the same thing happens to me with ahwangdha

eric_gladiator

Have you seen this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/neuroimmune-flares-following-sleep-any-more-insights.89386/

Redsun actually has some good thoughts in #8 regarding some supplements and our hypervigilant state affecting dreams.

It is curiously interesting. The medications you mention sound like other patients who have done well, but in my case at the moment I don't know whether to risk it. On the other hand, supplementation seems like a good idea to try, although I don't know if it would solve the problem

eric_gladiator

After I got vaccinated with two mrna vaccines I regularly have nightmares and vivid dreams approximately every night.

Do you notice that you wake up worse on an energetic level than before you were vaccinated? I never chose to get vaccinated against covid