• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ERV's latest blog on the FDA paper. One step too far?

Wonko

she once called dr. mikovits the C word.

from memory thats not correct - she quoted a reply to one of her blogs that included that word in the quote - not quite the same thing - but I'm not here to defend her - her previous blogs may have been the work of a relatively unbiased juvenile but her more recent blog shows considerably more negative bias - to a degree where it can no longer be explained simply as a matter of ignorance coupled with a juvenile and inexperienced point of view

in short we now appear to have become "fun" to torment - given she moderates everything a few weeks with everyone postign computer generated random (not nasty, abusive etc - just gibberish) drivel a few hundred times a day should sort her out - or at least take soem of the fun out of it for her - anyone up for it?

maybe she's hoping for a job working as a health adviser to the UK goverment?

V99

I don't think ERV is as bad as people are making her out to be. She genuinely doesn't care about the politics involved in CFS; she simply enjoys discussing retrovirology and XMRV is a very interesting topic. If you look back at her very first post on XMRV, it was on an XMRV/prostate cancer study before the WPI's XMRV/Science paper even came out and she was saying how odd she thought things were with that paper. She just hasn't quit talking about how weird the whole XMRV thing is, how disparate the findings are, etc. and I doubt she will until or unless the whole thing finally gets ironed out.

To me ERV (and certan commentors on her blog) are actually a pretty good resource/source of information because they have absolutely no horse in this race and only care about what the reality of the situation is with no need to gloss over areas of contention, sugar coat discrepancies, etc. The WPI would look pretty bad if the whole XMRV thing didn't pan out, the CDC would look horrendous if it was true, the CFIDS Association wants to be objective but patients won't let them be anything but 100% supportive of WPI, etc. There aren't too many unbiased sources of information who are also knowledgable on the topic of retrovirology out there.

She enjoys creating her own politics. Also, don't get your information from that blog or comments, lots of them are incorrect and misinformation. Coffin, Alter, listen to them.

the CFIDS Association wants to be objective but patients won't let them be anything but 100% supportive of WPI, etc.

There are a mix of opinions on them. Most have nothing to do with the WPI.

V99

There are some good comments on the blog, but someone with little understanding of this research will only end up confused. I wish Coffin blogged too.

As for the CAA, it's one thing to raise questions, it is another to chop and change as the political situation changes. Either you go with what the science is telling you, or you duck and dive to keep your political position. Not knowing the CAA, even I have seen them do that in the last year. We need strong advocacy groups, not ones that bend to try and not upset both sides.

Daffodil

wonko....she did actually call dr. mikovits the C word. the comment with the C word she quoted in a subsequent article, was mine. i called her the C word myself.