• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Equilibrant Alternatives? (Oxymatrine)

tdog333

Hi all,

I've been taking Equilibrant for about 3 years now, and I am very lucky to be one of the people that it has helped.

I am looking for an alternative now, something with oxymatrine(shrubby sophora root extract) because the calcium and licorice in equilibrant are giving me major migraines, giving me blood pressure swings, and lowering my testosterone quite a bit.

I've heard there are issues sourcing oxymatrine from China because of heavy metal contamination.

Any other supplements out there besides equilibrant with similar ingredients I could try? Or a place to get good oxymatrine?

Thanks!

Hip

Some Sources for Oxymatrine

Equilibrant oxymatrine tablets (Dr John Chia's brand) available at equilibranthealth

Alternative Medicine Solutions oxymatrine (300 mg oxymatrine per capsule) available here:
alternativemedicinesolutionbetterlifealchemistlaborganicpharmacyamazon

White Tiger brand oxymatrine (200 mg oxymatrine per tablet) available here:
chineseherbsacuatlantanaturalnutritionalsgoldenneedleonlinemaxnaturebiomedonline (Netherlands)

I found the White Tiger brand (which contains both matrine and oxymatrine) caused dizziness for an hour or so after taking each tablet, whereas the Alternative Medicine Solutions brand (which contains only pure oxymatrine) did not cause this side effect.

Note that Dr Chia says oxymatrine is not recommended for people with autoimmune tendencies or seizure disorders.

Last edited:

tdog333

Awesome, thanks @Hip ! Going to order the Alternative Medicine one. Any other ingredients in equilibrant you think are crucial to prevent relapsing?

tdog333

Perfect, last question: I saw the dosage is proprietary for equilibrant, I read some speculation that it was 1G of oxymatrine per 6 pills(full dose), any knowledge on that? Just trying to figure out my starting dose.

Hip

Perfect, last question: I saw the dosage is proprietary for equilibrant, I read some speculation that it was 1G of oxymatrine per 6 pills(full dose), any knowledge on that? Just trying to figure out my starting dose.

I imagine the oxymatrine does in each Equilibrant pill is very similar to the 200 to 300 mg dose found in other oxymatrine pills.

Dallase1

Hi all,

I've been taking Equilibrant for about 3 years now, and I am very lucky to be one of the people that it has helped.

I am looking for an alternative now, something with oxymatrine(shrubby sophora root extract) because the calcium and licorice in equilibrant are giving me major migraines, giving me blood pressure swings, and lowering my testosterone quite a bit.

I've heard there are issues sourcing oxymatrine from China because of heavy metal contamination.

Any other supplements out there besides equilibrant with similar ingredients I could try? Or a place to get good oxymatrine?

Thanks!
How has the equilibrant helped you? Have you found any alternatives that you can take?

tdog333

Just replied to your message. I did take the alternative medicine solutions Oxymatrine and could feel myself getting worse and worse, I was getting tired easier and couldn't do as many sets when I was working out. Back on equilibrant now and starting to feel better again. Not sure why but that brand wasn't doing anything for me.

Just replied to your message. I did take the alternative medicine solutions Oxymatrine and could feel myself getting worse and worse, I was getting tired easier and couldn't do as many sets when I was working out. Back on equilibrant now and starting to feel better again. Not sure why but that brand wasn't doing anything for me.

Have you tried the White Tiger - Oxymatrine version? I never tried equilibrant but the Oxymatrine from alternative medicine didn't do anything for me either. White and powder has been my combination.

knackers323

equilibrant didnt seem to do anything for me when i tried years ago but white tiger seems to be helping now.
i am taking big doses though, as i did with the equilibrant.

it is going to work out very expensive, the raw powder tastes terrible and i understand we need to take large amounts of it, so i am looking for a liquid extract of oxymatrine but so far cannot find any.

anyone know the contact details of the manufacturer of white tiger brand? i might contact them and see if i can organise some sort of bulk discount

equilibrant didnt seem to do anything for me when i tried years ago but white tiger seems to be helping now.
i am taking big doses though, as i did with the equilibrant.

it is going to work out very expensive, the raw powder tastes terrible and i understand we need to take large amounts of it, so i am looking for a liquid extract of oxymatrine but so far cannot find any.

anyone know the contact details of the manufacturer of white tiger brand? i might contact them and see if i can organise some sort of bulk discount

You could try the ku shen powder. I'm updating my introduction page again with the powder information. The powder seem much helpful in my CFS than the whitetiger oxymatrine itself. I use a combination of both.

not sure how much it's in teaspoon but i would buy a 10$ food scale. I start w/ 2 grams (add 1 gram a day till 6) and make your way to 6 grams in the morning and 6 hours apart in the afternoon (also take 3 whitetiger oxymatrine with it each session). I took 5 grams on my first time and i vomited and worst headache throughout the day avoid that at all cost.

yes, it taste terrible extremely bitter but it's something that works for me. I just throw in my mouth and drown it down with water the quickest.

@JinZ how many days on oxymatrine until you began to feel a benefit?

I believe 2 - 3 weeks on white tiger/powder. The pure oxymatrine didn't do anything for me (maybe it did and I didn't feel it).

Also make sure you avoid all activity that could cause PEM. I remember through out the years of CFS/ME I kept cold showering and I'm pretty sure that can easily trigger PEM.