• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epstein-Barr Virus Found to Trigger Multiple Sclerosis (ScientificAmerican)

lenora

HI @ Pyrrhus.....EBV is as common as rain among the general population. I can remember having it, and while I couldn't rest for more than a week, it took me months to recover from it. Then I was hit with the Hong Kong Flu!

I have a very close friend who has MS and cancer. As she now recalls, she thinks her first symptom of MS were during her college years. Then....nothing until she was about 50. Fortunately, she frequently testifies before Congress about ongoing research, how much she pays for preventive medicines ($80,000) out of her own pockets but no, she tells me that CFS/ME have never been mentioned over the years. Her MS is now progressing....the meds help considerably, but how many people can afford such excessive prices? She also was head of the Diabetes Foundation in a large northeastern area for many years....her daughter has JD1 and again, she's very knowledgeable. She's also a very tired person.

At least she's doing something much needed and good....and perhaps the day will come when we will benefit (finally) from ongoing MS research. This should have occurred years ago. My friend is about the same age as I am. Thanks for taking the time to put an easy to read excerpt. You're great and appreciated. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

In the world we inhabit, it's virtually impossible to not have contact with viruses at some point. Rest, lots of rest instead of rushing out the door b/c we're missing school, work and other factors should be taken into consideration.

The whole human race is at risk of something...pity, but it's true. Yours, Lenora

lenora

When I began this journey MS was still classified the same way ME is today. It finally received official recognition about 35 years ago. Before that people suffered great emotional pain because of the lack of a diagnosis.

It's not even the fault of most of our doctors (although they could be kind). Until we find that elusive marker, we can't be diagnosed with an official disease. Instead we're still stuck in the syndrome stage..."A collection of symptoms." We now have some medications that help, but there isn't a cure nor is there one for MS.

True, some people don't suffer greatly from it while others do. It depends upon the type. Ours may be the same....and researchers are hard at work trying to find the multiple causes that probably make up this illness. Let's hope that Long Haul Syndrome (there's that word again) will help. Yours, Lenora