• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emerge Australia ME/CFS International Research Symposium March 12-15, 2019

Jessie 107

He has been testing a lot of hair samples from around the world. He finds that different parts of the world show different deficiencies and excesses. Selenium is lower in the U.S., generally speaking, and also Copper, but someone correct me if I missed something.

One woman from Finland sent hair that was 2 or 4 feet long! (He had only wanted a snip from hair close to the scalp to look for recent exposure.) But since he had it, he tested it in segments to find out what her exposure was over time. What he found was that it was high in Uranium and Mercury throughout. He said he assumes the mercury is from her high fish consumption. Australia has some characteristic deficiency beginning with c, ch? —which I have now forgotten—which is due to their soils.

It is worthwhile to have one’s hair tested to find out, as excesses and deficiencies where they exist might be corrected.
I have been tested by Sarah Myhill for heavy metals.
My results showed high levels of Mercury, not from eating fish though, I had a lot of mercury fillings removed over twenty years ago. Also high Alliminium. It was recommended that use Dmsa for chelation but I couldn't tolerate it, it made me feel deathly ill so that was the end of that.
Wether it would have made a difference to my M. E I don't know.

Learner1

It is worthwhile to have one’s hair tested to find out, as excesses and deficiencies where they exist might be corrected.
Testing blood or hair levels will only demonstrate a recent exposure, but not total body burden. Urine levels of toxic metals also reflect acute exposure, but provoked urine levels indicate total burden. Nothing can tell you the exact amount.

And, mitochondria can sequester heavy metals. The attached is from a presenteron envirinmental toxins at the United Mitochondrial Disease Conference - the black stuff is arsenic.

I chelated for a long tme and looked pretty clean on tests. However, when I started taking alpha lipoic acid, arsenic came out of my mitochondria, which showed up at an acute level on a blood test. Arsenic can impair ATP production in mitochondria, so it's worthwhile to know about. A hair test will not accurately show it. Getting rid of the arsenic increased my energy.

Attachments

• arsenic in mitochondria.png
    arsenic in mitochondria.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 20

Gemini

I clicked on the arrows, then when I got a screen saying it would start soon. Because it is a recording, I pulled up the time going at the bottom of the screen, at first hidden, and moved the time along until I saw what I was looking for. This all worked but takes extra steps!
Thanks @Sing for describing the extra steps to access Day 3 of the Livestream. :thumbsup:

Hoping, if she hasn't already seen them, Mary Dimmock @medfeb will watch clinicians Drs. Donohoe and Wauchope's 40-minute presentations.

Their experience is in line with that of Drs. Lapp and others on her "ME/CFS Clinician Coalition." She might have her 16-member group watch as well as given the interesting treatment guidelines that are offered.

junkcrap50

How/why would Dr. Davis think to test for uranium levels/exposure? No lab test (blood or hair) available to patients likely tests for it.

Gemini

Good news from Amy Gibson, EMERGE Information Officer will make re-watching talks easier:

We are in the process of editing all of the livestream footage into individual presentations.

Once this has been completed, the presentations (from all three days minus the last session (round table discussions) from the third day) will be made available on both our website and Vimeo channel.

Sing

Testing blood or hair levels will only demonstrate a recent exposure, but not total body burden. Urine levels of toxic metals also reflect acute exposure, but provoked urine levels indicate total burden. Nothing can tell you the exact amount.

And, mitochondria can sequester heavy metals. The attached is from a presenteron envirinmental toxins at the United Mitochondrial Disease Conference - the black stuff is arsenic.

I chelated for a long tme and looked pretty clean on tests. However, when I started taking alpha lipoic acid, arsenic came out of my mitochondria, which showed up at an acute level on a blood test. Arsenic can impair ATP production in mitochondria, so it's worthwhile to know about. A hair test will not accurately show it. Getting rid of the arsenic increased my energy.

I recall that Ron Davis said that high arsenic was one thing they haven’t found for patients. But maybe it hides out, as you found, @Learner1.

Sing

Good news from Amy Gibson, EMERGE Information Officer will make re-watching talks easier:

We are in the process of editing all of the livestream footage into individual presentations.

Once this has been completed, the presentations (from all three days minus the last session (round table discussions) from the third day) will be made available on both our website and Vimeo channel.

Super news!

medfeb

Thanks @Sing for describing the extra steps to access Day 3 of the Livestream. :thumbsup:

Hoping, if she hasn't already seen them, Mary Dimmock @medfeb will watch clinicians Drs. Donohoe and Wauchope's 40-minute presentations.

Their experience is in line with that of Drs. Lapp and others on her "ME/CFS Clinician Coalition." She might have her 16-member group watch as well as given the interesting treatment guidelines that are offered.
Thanks for the call out. I'll be sure to watch it.

Learner1

I'm looking forward to the videos, too! Rhanks for sharing the news!

How/why would Dr. Davis think to test for uranium levels/exposure? No lab test (blood or hair) available to patients likely tests for it.
A Doctors Data Heavy Metals test will show it and I know people in my area who have had it show up.
I recall that Ron Davis said that high arsenic was one thing they haven’t found for patients. But maybe it hides out, as you found, @Learner1.
From what I learned at the United Mitochondrial Disease Conference, where I got the image I shared, it definitely can hide out.

Sing

I'm looking forward to the videos, too! Rhanks for sharing the news!

A Doctors Data Heavy Metals test will show it and I know people in my area who have had it show up.

From what I learned at the United Mitochondrial Disease Conference, where I got the image I shared, it definitely can hide out.
You are so helpful to others with your specific replies! I appreciate everyone who is...

wigglethemouse

The second presentation of all the things to look for was very interesting. How he picked up on low essential metals like in the OMF talk was extremely interesting - and the effect of modern farming practices and combined with different metals and minerals in Australian soil compared to US soil.

He is really observant. A lab mixed up a Magnesium (???, something beginning with M) and did a Maganese test instead. He was surprised to see such a low value, so now tests all patients and sees a trend there. Another doctor who is doing this because his family member is so ill......

Learner1

Manganese is used in making Mn-SOD which helps to defang superoxide radicals produced by mitochondria. Glutathione is also helpful, as Donohoe mentioned, in reducing our oxidative stress.

I did not see that there were any functuinsl medicine doctors invited to the Clinicians Summit and believe they could definitely add value to the dialog.

frozenborderline

Has anyone looked into the gut bacteria metabolites Ron was talking about being nonexistent or low in me/cfs patients? I think one of them was called indoleproprionic acid and it’s only produced by one species of gut bacteria and being investigated for use in Alzheimer’s. That seems like a big deal as a potential target. I think Gut bacteria changes aren’t the root issue in this illness but perhaps fixing them in conjunction w other measures could speed improvements up. But the use of probiotics is often sloppy and not ultra focused on what specific species need to be there, sometimes even leading to overgrowth of lactic acid producing bacteria.

frozenborderline

Has anyone looked into the gut bacteria metabolites Ron was talking about being nonexistent or low in me/cfs patients? I think one of them was called indoleproprionic acid and it’s only produced by one species of gut bacteria and being investigated for use in Alzheimer’s. That seems like a big deal as a potential target. I think Gut bacteria changes aren’t the root issue in this illness but perhaps fixing them in conjunction w other measures could speed improvements up. But the use of probiotics is often sloppy and not ultra focused on what specific species need to be there, sometimes even leading to overgrowth of lactic acid producing bacteria.
3-Indolepropionic acid (IPA), or indole-3-propionic acid, is a potent neuroprotective antioxidant, plant auxin, and natural product in humans that is being studied for therapeutic use in Alzheimer's disease.[2][3][4][5] It is endogenously produced by human microbiota and has only been detected in vivo when the species Clostridium sporogenes is present in the gastrointestinal tract

frozenborderline

This is only one of the two chemicals Ron was talking about. But it’s an interesting target. I haven’t found probiotics carrying this specific strain yet but one can buy it ongrowth media here: https://m.carolina.com/bacteria/clostridium-sporogenes-microkwik-culture-vial/154995A.pr

I have to think that if Ron thought these were possible therapeutic targets, he’d have given this bacteria to Whitney though. He discussed working with naviaux to repopulate Whitney’s gut after the peripheral nutrition depopulated it and using objective measures it improved but w no sign of improvement in Whitney’s condition. So I’m not sure I’m all that excited about this bacteria. But it’s an interesting find.

suevu

This is only one of the two chemicals Ron was talking about. But it’s an interesting target. I haven’t found probiotics carrying this specific strain yet but one can buy it ongrowth media here: https://m.carolina.com/bacteria/clostridium-sporogenes-microkwik-culture-vial/154995A.pr

I have to think that if Ron thought these were possible therapeutic targets, he’d have given this bacteria to Whitney though. He discussed working with naviaux to repopulate Whitney’s gut after the peripheral nutrition depopulated it and using objective measures it improved but w no sign of improvement in Whitney’s condition. So I’m not sure I’m all that excited about this bacteria. But it’s an interesting find.

It all keeps pointing out to the gut microbes (just like all the other diseases), we are only starting to see thise after decades of ignorance.

I think we should focus on find real good stool donor that contain some strong types of baceria or viruses able to produce those metabolites we lack. All the rest of things is just fixing symptoms but not getting to the root cause. It's so hard to find good donors that we would require more people involved.

Do subtitles work for someone??? I activate them but don´t appear in screen when i have it not full-screened (it did below in a textbox but so much asynchronized) , but when i put video onto full-screen mode, not subtitles at all).

I use Chrome browser.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember which heavy metals Prof Ron Davis said 1/3 of patients were high in?

However, when I started taking alpha lipoic acid, arsenic came out of my mitochondria, which showed up at an acute level on a blood test. Arsenic can impair ATP production in mitochondria, so it's worthwhile to know about. A hair test will not accurately show it. Getting rid of the arsenic increased my energy.

I recall that Ron Davis said that high arsenic was one thing they haven’t found for patients. But maybe it hides out, as you found

I've just got a hair metal test back stating my arsenic levels are 72x higher than the normal population! @Learner did you treat just by taking ALA?