• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

electrolyte drinks

xchocoholic

I never noticed feeling rehydrated from coconut water in a pkg but did notice it from drinking it
From a young coconut. All I got was a sugar rush ... I'm not sure how this is packaged but I read once
That fresh coconut water starts to lose it.s nutrients quickly when exposed to air. Heck if I can remember
Where I saw that tho ... Lol

Did klimas say which part of this recipe thickens blood ? Or do we know if any if this causes our bodies to increase our amount of blood ?

I started looking at aldosterone and potassium but I.m not clear on how that works yet. All I know so far is that adrenals are affected by aldosterone and aldosterone is affected by potassium.

These electrolytes are all part of our bodies ability to regulate bp and heart rate so those if us with dysautonomia could benefit from this. X

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi X - I just drank 500ml (half a quart) of half coconut water, half water, plus the bicarb and salt and again, it has made me thirsty. I'm not sure if I feel better or not - if it has helped, it is subtle. I was expecting some immediate improvement but maybe it's a cumulative thing.

That's interesting about the coconut water losing nutrients but I would have thought that it couldn't lose the salts? I suppose the chemicals in it must start oxidising but would that affect the electrolytes? I am too ignorant of chemistry to know!

I think it is the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc.) that do the work in increasing blood volume but I don't know that they thicken the blood - if anything, maybe they thin it by increasing the volume by diluting it! Or maybe the body has more volume to play with and increases the number of blood cells accordingly. I am too ignorant of biology to know!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've been using that coconut water + salt + bicarb + water recipe for a week now - 500ml first thing and late afternoon (both on an empty stomach). I haven't been able to feel any difference. If it's working for me, should I expect to feel better within a few minutes? Half an hour? Just gradually better over several weeks?

I just took my BP after my afternoon dose and even after half an hour, I couldn't see an effect.

I'm wondering whether to continue with this - any advice? Does no immediate benefit = no benefit?

AndrewB

im using dioralyte at the moment, im in the UK. there are quite a few on the market and this is only the first one ive tried.
at 3.64 a box, containing 6 sachets, its not that cheap, but it did work for me at first. doesnt seem to having the same
energy boosting effect it was having now though ?

I've been trying to add electrolytes to my diet as well. I've been drinking Smart Water and Trader Joes also has a plain water with added electrolytes. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks, especially ones with artificial flavors, colors, etc...The recipe listed above sounds interesting. Might have to give it a try! Thanks!