• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EDITED: Iskiate (chia drink) used by Tarahumara for energy, no-churn ice cream for fun

YippeeKi YOW !!

Are you trying to infect us all???!!! :eek::lol:
Well, you know what they say about misery and company (evil laugh emoji) ....
So basically a curry flavored drink. I'll add chia to it also. Afterall, I have two weeks of laundry to do tomorrow. This will be a long, hard weekend.
That's a great idea !!! It expands the nutrition profile, if nothing else. Please let us know how it goes this weekend, yes :) :hug::hug:?

For what it's worth, I do think the chia helps, but I'm not courageous enough to stop it for a while to test that out :nervous:....

Mary

Moderator Resource
We ARE all infected now! We are going to turn into ZOMBIES! Oh wait, we all ready ARE zombies
:lol: We are indeed the living dead! :woot::eek:

So basically a curry flavored drink. I'll add chia to it also. Afterall, I have two weeks of laundry to do tomorrow. This will be a long, hard weekend.
Let us know how it went. I think we can all relate ! btw, I was born in Seattle (Capitol Hill), a long time ago . . . I just noticed that was your location!

Strawberry

Please let us know how it goes this weekend, yes :) :hug::hug:?

Here you go! I definitely had a productive weekend, probably the best in a few years! I did wake up feeling "perky" Friday morning, but I do think the chia and lime (I used maple syrup for sweetener) helped as this was drastic. It was like drinking a virgin margarita with raspberry seeds. mmmmm In a nutshell, normally I can get only one big thing done in a weekend. This weekend was laundry. But I also planted two blueberry bushes (including lifting the huge bag of soil into the pots), had company show up spontaneously Saturday night (just talking on the patio), and did a lot of tidying up and some more planting stuff on Sunday + received (and mostly put away) a grocery delivery (where normally I'm surgically attached to my couch on Sunday). And I feel pretty good this morning, although I didn't have the drink today.

I do feel the lime helps as I've never had this good of a weekend with the coconut pudding. Saturday I used a real lime, Sunday I used bottled. No difference with taste or experience.

So. My summary is that this will be around for a while, I'll give it a few weekends to make sure this really works (not just a fluke of energy weekend), but I haven't had that kind of energy in at least 5 years (minus my time in Hawaii). Even LDN and BCAA's didn't do this much.

@Mary How is it working for you so far? (I'm not familiar with Capitol Hill, but my daughter spent a day this summer up there with her boyfriend. Apparently there is some great entertainment there. Also, that is where all of the protesting is going on, so Capitol Hill is in the news daily now. )

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Strawberry
Thank you so much for taking the time (and the effort) to give us an update, and I'm super-stoked aout your results, both for you personally, and for all of us looking for anything that helps :woot::woot::woot::woot: !!!

What kind of bottled lime juice do you use? I haven;t had great experiences with bottled lemon or lime juices, but that was several years ago. Also @Mary re bottled lime juice ....

Rufous McKinney

I'm wondering if the lime juice is essential for the purported energy increase - does it work differently on the chia than coconut milk for example?

Well, limes themselves seem to have originated from Asia or Indonesia and were never growing anywhere along with the chia plant. Chia's are Salvia, a precious annual type in the mint family, and grow on arid sandy soils in spring time.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Well, limes themselves seem to have originated from Asia or Indonesia and were never growing anywhere along with the chia plant. Chia's are Salvia, a precious annual type in the mint family, and grow on arid sandy soils in spring time.
Not sure of what to take from this ..... in many forms of healing, the locations of the plants or essences used in healing are considered in terms of whether or not they co-habit comfortably, but that's the best I can do.

Can't wrap my warped brain around this today ..... Help !!!

Limes have been native to Mexico, Meso-America, and South America for about 600 years, which, coincidentally, is where chia grows.

YippeeKi YOW !!

technically speaking, 600 years does not count as native.
Probably not, but certainly long enough to establish a nodding acquaintance ... particularly since the climates are so similar, as well as much of the terroir ....

But again, what were you telling us with your post? I hate the feeling that I'm missing soething important, and worse, probably obvious ...

Strawberry

I'm seriously doubting lime and chia can make that big of an energy jump, but I have no idea what else it could be. I haven't had that kind of energy in 5 years. And the only recent change was that I have been off rifaximin (etc) for a week. And that stuff made me sooo sick it was disgusting. I'm hoping it was the lime and chia though, I could enjoy margarita time every day. Well, minus the tequila.

Strawberry

I may be able to find it on Amazon just based on 'lime juice, green bottle' .... Hey, don;t laugh. It's possible :rolleyes::rolleyes: .... OK, not likely, but definitely possible ...

I think they ALL (lemon and lime) come in green bottles. :D

It's my poor memory that will get me to not check the fridge, energy is still quite good today, although I am here at work with my rear planted in my chair.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just read that chia seeds are native to Mexico, and that limes were brought to Mexico around the time of Christopher Columbus, fwiw. Mexico is currently the largest producer and exporter of limes.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I do feel the lime helps as I've never had this good of a weekend with the coconut pudding. Saturday I used a real lime, Sunday I used bottled. No difference with taste or experience.
@Strawberry - that's amazing! I'm so glad you had such good energy, and I definitely hope it was due at least in part to the lime/chia drink, because that would mean it would be reproducible! (one would hope) Also, thanks for taking the time to let us know about this. :nerd:

It hasn't done that for me, but it is possible it's helping a little with energy. It's just I've started taking monolaurin and I may have been herxing, it's hard to know exactly what is doing what here. I started using Cellfood a little over 3 months ago and on some days it has given me more energy than I've had in quite awhile, but it's been interspersed with some detoxing, and then getting sick, so I've been trying to figure out what the heck is going on, on any given day. e.g., today started out okay and then went downhill, I'm not sure why, who knows!

One important question: When do you add the lime juice? At the start with the water, or after the seeds have soaked in the water for awhile? It has a different consistency depending on when the lime juice is added.

ETA: One more important question: Are you using black or white chia seeds? It might make a difference. I've been using NOW brand white chia seeds.

I lived on Capitol Hill when I was little (a long time ago) so haven't been back in quite awhile. I'm sure it's changed,. Seattle was not high tech central when I lived there! I think it was affordable when I lived there ;)

Mary

Moderator Resource
What kind of bottled lime juice do you use? I haven;t had great experiences with bottled lemon or lime juices, but that was several years ago. Also @Mary re bottled lime juice ....
I've been using ReaLime juice, and it does come in a green bottle. Though a couple of months ago I got a large bottle of lime juice from a Mexican supermarket where I live which was much more economical (not a known national brand), and when I'm able to get back to that store, I will buy it again!

I've been using lime juice a lot the last couple of months - adding it to coleslaw with jalapenos and honey and mayonnaise (delicious!) and making fajitas, and now the lime/chia drink :D (this looks a little like a lime)

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm seriously doubting lime and chia can make that big of an energy jump, but I have no idea what else it could be. I haven't had that kind of energy in 5 years. And the only recent change was that I have been off rifaximin (etc) for a week. And that stuff made me sooo sick it
I'm still wondering if another acid, like maybe ACV, would have the same effect, and I may give it a try tomorrow morning, depending on how crappy I may feel ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

One important question: When do you add the lime juice? At the start with the water, or after the seeds have soaked in the water for awhile? It has a different consistency depending on when the lime juice is added.
You're totally right !!! I used to add a little sea salt to the chia's while they were soaking up the water, and discovered after a quick experiment that the chia seeds expanded about twice as fast and four times as much if I waited to add the salt til after they soaking was done ....
ETA: One more important question: Are you using black or white chia seeds? It might make a difference. I've been using NOW brand white chia seeds.
Oh wow !!! I didnt even think of that !!! I use black organic chia seeds, so am anxiously awaiting the answer .... and to make it worse I just ordered, and received and opened, a 2 lb bag. Shite, shite, crepe !!!
:D (this looks a little like a lime)
...... with a wicked sense of humor !!!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Oh wow !!! I didnt even think of that !!! I use black organic chia seeds, so am anxiously awaiting the answer .... and to make it worse I just ordered, and received and opened, a 2 lb bag. Shite, shite, crepe !!!
Well, it all depends. If @Strawberry got her amazing results using black chia seeds, I'm getting some! Maybe I would have had better results with black seeds! btw, would you tell me what brand and where you ordered yours? fwiw, I have a feeling the black seeds may work better because I think they're more common and so are more likely the ones used by the amazing Tarahumara athletes! :D