• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eating out with food sensitivities -- suggestions?

sensing progress

I know a lot of us PWME have multiple food sensitivities and it makes eating out rather tricky. Personally I have sensitivities to corn, dairy, yeast, sesame, etc. Unfortunately I often don't have the energy to cook so end up getting food to go from places. I've developed a list of easy to-go meals for such occasions:

Chipotle - burrito bowl, no sour cream or cheese. ~$7
In 'N Out - hamburger "protein style" (no bun), no cheese
Wingstop - regular wings (not boneless), no dipping sauce, vegetable sticks

Does anyone else have to-go ideas from restaurants?

leaves

sushi is pretty pure although it does have sesame sometimes and you should not take salmon (parasites) or high metal fish. Indian food works for me too. Thai food too although I often skip the sauce and when i go for dinner I often go for the salades or just eat the meat and veggies. Buffets and salad bars are great too.

serenity

i agree with salad bars & sushi because they are sort of "make your own style". i also like Thai & Vietnamese. i love Pho, but i get the tofu kind & skip the noodles.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
We love Asian food. I love to get Bento boxes with salmon. I LOVE salmon. I love Miso Soup too. I like Thai and Japanese. I can't eat Chinese with all the MSG. We tried last month, but you have to be so careful. Most was made with MSN, very few things without.

Thankfully, I don't have problems with most food. Choc. often gives me a migraine though. THAT is sad!

sensing progress

i agree with salad bars & sushi because they are sort of "make your own style". i also like Thai & Vietnamese. i love Pho, but i get the tofu kind & skip the noodles.

I do like Pho. I wonder though about the broth. I react to MSG also and many broths have "hidden" MSG, usually ingredients like "autolyzed yeast extract", etc. I suppose I could ask although at most Vietnamese restaurants I've been to the servers haven't spoken English very well. They have had a hard enough time taking the order -- let alone answering complicated ingredient questions.

serenity

oh no Sassy! no chocolate?! that's awful! i'm SO sorry!
yeh Sensing, we are lucky - we have found a wonderful place where the lady who runs the shop makes home made tofu. it is the lightest fluffiest tofu i've ever had & the broth seeps into it, it's so yummy! from what i can tell, white carbs & fat are what bother me. so, i have to skip the spring rolls - which i love! wish they would make them from whole wheat.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Serenity, it's Sally!!! HEHEHE.

I KNOW! Chocolate is so wonderful! I can eat Milk Duds, ha. A bit of choc. Not many. I get a little that way.

taniaaust1

You could try asking for normal dine in meals to be done to takeaway... just explain you are ill but would really love to have one of their meals.. phone order it and pick it up. Many places will be nice and do things like that if one explains circumstances...

In such a way you may be able to get something like Roast without any form of topping or gravy.. with roasted vegatables

Food is my enemy now, I can barely eat anything I bought your book cleanse and detox I hope it will help, if you have any suggestions please, I'm afraid and I need help this is a nightmare. chicago condos*