• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Thomas Levy -- How COVID Helped Me Regain Good Health

GlassCannonLife

Thank you, have you ever bought anything from there? I am looking at the website now.

The 20mg tablets would be more economical if it's possible to divide them. If that would be too difficult, I would just get the 5mg.

Yeah I've bought many different things from there with no issue. I'm in Australia though, not sure how shipping works for other places.

I assume you can divide them, but I'm not sure sorry. My endocrinologist has given me 4 mg tablets for crashes

Violeta

Yeah I've bought many different things from there with no issue. I'm in Australia though, not sure how shipping works for other places.

I assume you can divide them, but I'm not sure sorry. My endocrinologist has given me 4 mg tablets for crashes
I just did more reading at the site, and I see you need a prescription. I don't have a prescription and I don't have a doctor to ask for one. If a friend of mine decides to use it and finds a doctor to prescribe it for her, I will try to get an appointment with that doctor.

Wayne

I typically need more and more pregnenolone to keep me from crashing really badly,

Hey @GlassCannon Life -- I was wondering how much pregnenolone you take. I take 50 mg., but have not had a good sense whether that's just the right amount for me. What kind of barometers do you use to tell you how much you may need. -- Thanks!

Wayne

Do you think the sodium ascorbate form would be adequate, or is it important that it's liposomal?

Hi @hapl808 -- I've heard that absorption of regular Vit. C is around 20%, but that absorption of liposomal Vit. C is around 90%, which is why I prefer the liposomal. Fortunately, the price has come down considerably from when LivOn was selling theirs for about $1/gram.

I get the Mercola brand liposomal Vit. C. It normally runs around $37 for 180 1-gram softgels, so around 1/6 of what it used to cost. I get regular emails from him, and so I wait until it's on sale, and stock up on it for around $30/bottle. When I went to get the following link, I got a popup that said 20% off if you open an account.

https://www.mercolamarket.com/product/1292/liposomal-vitamin-c-180-per-bottle-90-day-supply

GlassCannonLife

I just did more reading at the site, and I see you need a prescription. I don't have a prescription and I don't have a doctor to ask for one. If a friend of mine decides to use it and finds a doctor to prescribe it for her, I will try to get an appointment with that doctor.
You don't need one you can just ignore that bit

GlassCannonLife

Hey @GlassCannon Life -- I was wondering how much pregnenolone you take. I take 50 mg., but have not had a good sense whether that's just the right amount for me. What kind of barometers do you use to tell you how much you may need. -- Thanks!

I take more as I crash. Normally max had been 250 mg.

Today ended up in hospital doing really badly.. Adrenal crisis almost. Hydrocortisone wasn't helping though so took more, crazy. Like 700 mg today and still crashing.. Don't know what to do tbh.

Violeta

Today ended up in hospital doing really badly.. Adrenal crisis almost. Hydrocortisone wasn't helping though so took more, crazy. Like 700 mg today and still crashing.. Don't know what to do tbh.

Oh no, so sorry to hear that! Wish I could help. What do they do for you in the hospital?

Violeta

Keep us posted, even if it's just a few words.

GlassCannonLife

Oh no, so sorry to hear that! Wish I could help. What do they do for you in the hospital?

They tried treating adrenal insufficiency - I wasn't sure if that's what it was. 50 mg hydrocortisone IV didn't help though. Must just be my ME causing the same symptoms..

Waste of effort but at least now I know.

Made it through the night. Bit struggle today, taken 400 mg pregnenolone already.

Violeta

They tried treating adrenal insufficiency - I wasn't sure if that's what it was. 50 mg hydrocortisone IV didn't help though. Must just be my ME causing the same symptoms..

Waste of effort but at least now I know.

Made it through the night. Bit struggle today, taken 400 mg pregnenolone already.
Have you been able to eat?

GlassCannonLife

I hope you feel better soon. I pray you figure out what to do,

Thank you.

Stable for the moment - fingers crossed.

Ended up getting up to 600 mg pregnenolone by 1030, then we got an IV together, 50 g vitamin C, 1 g glutathione, 1 g B1, 2 mg B12, 3 g magnesium in Hartmann's.

Have had an extra 100 mg since (now 345 pm here). Hopefully I can just take a little more before bed and be ok.

Will see how we go..! Never crashed this badly before, covid has really messed me up. I wish I had started the IVC last week but I was worried about clotting risk with the virus..

GlassCannonLife

Wow @Wayne , my taste and smell appears to be returning...

Not within 5 min of the IV starting, but ever since I did the IV I have been much more stable and actually feeling increasingly tiny bits better.

Crazy stuff. IVC is some real magic.

I'm going to do another one tomorrow morning (and probably Wednesday) and hopefully get this crash under control even more.

Violeta

Wow @Wayne , my taste and smell appears to be returning...

Not within 5 min of the IV starting, but ever since I did the IV I have been much more stable and actually feeling increasingly tiny bits better.

Crazy stuff. IVC is some real magic.

I'm going to do another one tomorrow morning (and probably Wednesday) and hopefully get this crash under control even more.
This is really good news!

How long ago did you have the virus?

SWAlexander

A Biomarker That Can Diagnose Parkinson’s Disease
“P450 inhibition assay”
Summary: Researchers have developed a new biomarker that will enable a rapid and inexpensive test for Parkinson’s disease.

Source: Kobe University

Researchers at Kobe University and Hiroshima University have successfully developed a biomarker that will enable Parkinson’s disease to be rapidly and inexpensively diagnosed from blood serum samples.

It is hoped that being able to diagnose the disease faster will also lead to the development of new treatment methods. This would be greatly beneficial, especially for aging societies like Japan.

This study was conducted by Professor Imaishi Hiromasa and Academic Researcher Ihara Kohei et al of Kobe University’s Biosignal Research Center, and Assistant Professor Oguro Ami’s research group at Hiroshima University’s Graduate School of Integrated Sciences for Life.

These research results were published in Scientific Reports on April 22, 2022.

Japan is a super-aging country. As the elderly population continues to increase, it is predicted that the number of patients suffering from neurodegenerative diseases will also rise.

Parkinson’s disease is a type of neurodegenerative disease for which a simple diagnosis method had yet to be developed. Currently, various biomarkers are in development that can be used to evaluate diseases. These biomarkers can detect the presence of a disease, as well as monitor its progress and the effectiveness of treatment.
continue: https://neurosciencenews.com/parkinsons-biomarker-20673/

Learner1

These biomarkers can detect the presence of a disease, as well as monitor its progress and the effectiveness of treatment
From the paper - seems like there's applicability of this method to other diseases:

"Cytochrome P450s (CYPs, P450s) are major drug-metabolizing enzymes that participate in phase I reactions as monooxygenases5,6. Substrates of P450s vary from endogenous to exogenous chemicals, and more than 3,000 substrates of P450s are known to exist7. The expression levels of P450s change under inflammatory conditions8. Under these conditions, proinflammatory cytokines such as interleukin-1β (IL-1β), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and tumor necrosis factor α (TNFα) regulate the expression of P450s via certain nuclear receptors or transcription factors such as nuclear factor-κB (NF-κB)8. In inflammatory diseases such as cancer9, cardiovascular disease10, diabetes11,12 and ulcerative colitis13,14, the expression of P450s differs from that in a disease-free state. Moreover, these changes in P450s vary among diseases9,10"

"We observed significant differences in inhibition rates for three P450s (Fig. 6). The inhibition rate associated with CYP1A1 was significantly lower than that of the control (6.4% and 17.0%, respectively). The inhibition rate associated with CYP2C8 was also lower than that of the control (83.9% and 87.0%, respectively). The inhibition rate associated with CYP3A5 was lower than that of the control (60.5% and 67.6%, respectively). In contrast, the inhibition rates associated with other P450s (CYP1A2, CYP2A13, CYP2B6, CYP2C9, CYP2C18, CYP2C19, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4) were not significantly different.'

perchance dreamer

Yes, and it wasn't easy to do. Most doctors are unfamiliar with low-dose hydrocortisone therapy, and equate it with high dose synthetic supra-steroids like prednisone, which are about 4x stronger than bioidentical hydrocortisone. These supra-steroids usually start creating long-term "side-effects" within a relatively short period of time.

You are right about confusion in the medical community about low-dose hydrocortisone therapy. I last encountered this last year when I had oral surgery. When going over my meds list at the appointment before the surgery, the surgeon said I could be slower to heal and possibly have problems because steroids depress the immune system. I told him the 5 MG of hydrocortisone a really small dose, far below the amount the body produces naturally, but he remained unconvinced. I kept taking it and healed just fine.