• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr meirleir on Dutch tv today!!

leaves

It has not started yet. I heard that it is going to be a balanced show, so have my hopes up. Maybe people that watched can do a brief review?

lansbergen

Nijmegen refused to be in the same program and discredits de Meirleir.

Nothing new but it is clear to me de Meileir is worried.

fred

The game is afoot
I did not hear him or anyone else in the program mention XMRV. I might have missed it but I got the impression he was responding to something that was cut out.

So you think that perhaps the programme was edited and references to XMRV removed?

lansbergen

So you think that perhaps the programme was edited and references to XMRV removed?

I think so but it could be something else.

He mentioned very sick patients in Norway.

This is on the broadcast website :

http://www.eenvandaag.nl/gezondheid/35987/vermoeidheidsziekte_me_virus_of_tussen_de_oren_

Zit de vermoeidheidsziekte ME/cvs tussen de oren of niet. Ja zeggen Nederlandse experts. Nee, zeggen experts uit Amerika. In Amerika zijn na jaren van onderzoek sterke aanwijzingen gevonden dat een virus ten grondslag ligt aan ME.

Dit virus breekt het immuunsysteem af waardoor bacterin in het lichaam van patinten explosief kunnen groeien. Vooral in de darmen. De deskundigen weten nog niet waarom, maar ze weten wel zeker dat de ziekte bedwongen moet worden met antivirale middelen en antibiotica. Nederlandse deskundigen uit het Radboudziekenhuis geloven hier niet in en behandelen met gedragstherapien want volgens hen zit de ziekte tussen de oren. Maar virus of niet, hoe krijg je de ziekte en wie krijgt de ziekte ?

Alexia

I've just watched the programme, I'm not in the Netherlands so I needed to wait until it was online. I found that for a short report it was positive. The journalist tried to show how handicapped people with ME/CFS can be and that the society/medical world just ignores this. About XMRV they didn't say much they just explained that a virus has been found in the States that maybe is causing this illness.
Dr. van der Meer (from Nijmegen) sent a message to the journalist saying that he didn't want to participate in a programme that would allow also Dr. De Meirleir to speak!! According to Dr. van der Meer, "Dr. De Meirleir is known in the medical world as someone who is not very truthful, to say it mildly." !!!!

fred

The game is afoot
This is on the broadcast website :

http://www.eenvandaag.nl/gezondheid/35987/vermoeidheidsziekte_me_virus_of_tussen_de_oren_

Zit de vermoeidheidsziekte ME/cvs tussen de oren of niet. Ja zeggen Nederlandse experts. Nee, zeggen experts uit Amerika. In Amerika zijn na jaren van onderzoek sterke aanwijzingen gevonden dat een virus ten grondslag ligt aan ME.

Dit virus breekt het immuunsysteem af waardoor bacterin in het lichaam van patinten explosief kunnen groeien. Vooral in de darmen. De deskundigen weten nog niet waarom, maar ze weten wel zeker dat de ziekte bedwongen moet worden met antivirale middelen en antibiotica. Nederlandse deskundigen uit het Radboudziekenhuis geloven hier niet in en behandelen met gedragstherapien want volgens hen zit de ziekte tussen de oren. Maar virus of niet, hoe krijg je de ziekte en wie krijgt de ziekte ?

Courtesy of GoogleTranslate:

"Is the fatigue illness ME / CFS in the mind or not? Dutch experts say "yes". "No", say experts from America. In America, after years of research, they have found strong evidence that a virus underlies ME.

"The virus breaks down the immune system so that bacteria can grow in the bodies of patients, especially in the intestines. The experts do not know why, but they certainly know that the disease must be conquered with antivirals and antibiotics. Dutch experts from the Radboud Hospital [do not] believe in this and not (sic) treated with behavioral therapies because they find the disease [is] in the mind. But virus or not, how do you get the disease and who gets the disease?"

lansbergen

I watched it again. The virus was not mentioned by name. They stated that the Meirlier is involved in the research and de Meileir mentioned HIV.

leaves

Am I correct that van der meer wrote a statement that dr dm is not reliable/ a liar ??!!
Is that legal in the NL?
I'd say sue his pants off!!!