• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Mark Borigini -- At it again in Psychology Today

muffin

Overcoming Pain
Why people experience chronic pain, and the power they have to de-intensify it.
by Mark Borigini
Dr. Mark Borigini is a board-certified rheumatologist who has devoted his career to treating, and training others to treat, a wide variety of illnesses that cause chronic pain and disability. See full bio July 9, 2010, Health
XMRV and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Repressed, Reprieved, Or Rehashed? And you thought herpes was the virus that never goes away!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...igue-syndrome-repressed-reprieved-or-rehashed

Published on July 9, 2010
In the last week or so, we have heard of another set of conflicting research results regarding chronic fatigue syndrome and the virus known as xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV). The conflict is simple: one group of researchers reportedly found a link between XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome, and the other did not.

The rumor is that a hold has been placed on the publishing of the respective findings, despite being accepted for publication. This rare occurrence has created concern for many whose lives are impacted by chronic fatigue syndrome, from fellow scientists to patients, from conspiracy theorists to the more non-specifically touched. What is going on here?

Supposedly, scientists at the United States National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) were reported to have confirmed the link, first published in the journal "Science" last year. In contrast, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) failed to find such a link. The "Wall Street Journal" reported on June 30 that both papers were put on hold, but I was able to review the CDC group's paper, published in internet form earlier this month in the journal "Retrovirology". The FDA/NIH paper was to be published in the journal "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America"; I have not been able to access that.

Reportedly, senior public health officials wished to have an explanation as to the reasons the research groups came to different conclusions, and thus the two teams were asked to put their papers on hold. In fact, it is not unusual for scientists to generate conflicting data, particularly in the case of a new virus that has not been well-characterized. Further, it is not unreasonable to review and re-review conflicting data regarding XMRV, as there has already been so much conflict generated in the course of the research of this virus.

Recall the skepticism engendered by the publication in "Science". Not only were there rebuttals and critiques subsequently published in "Science", but shortly thereafter two groups in the United Kingdom and one in the Netherlands published papers failing to find a link between XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome, and several other groups from the United States and Europe have also reported negative findings.

So, at this time we can all only wait for the final product of the FDA/NIH research to be made public. The CDC conclusions, as published in "Retrovirology" are out for the world to see: "In our study population of CFS and healthy persons from the US, we did not find any evidence of infection with XMRV using PCR and serologic methods performed independently in three laboratories blinded to the clinical status of the study participants. These results do not support an association of XMRV with CFS."

The world waits for the next set of conclusions, and wonders if any study on XMRV will ever be deemed conclusive.

ixchelkali

Yada, yada, yada. He's probably just playing "bait the CFS patient" in hopes that getting a rise out of us will boost the numbers of hits on his column.
He pretty much let it be known he's not concerned for our welfare when he called us "terrorists of health in full jihadist mode." I think he's a pipsqueak not worth getting worked up over. Either the NIH/FDA paper will make his bowel wind moot, or else he'll realize that he hadn't seen us in full jihadist mode yet.

Sean

I think he's a pipsqueak not worth getting worked up over.

Yep. World is full of jumped up, self important little blowhards. The most appropriate and effective and cutting thing we can do to obnoxious morons like him is to ignore him. History certainly will.

muffin

Borigini: I didn't bother to respond to his article - agree waste of time

This guy is stupid and has nothing of value to say so not worth any of our time in responding. Just an FYI that this moron was at it again. Guess he didn't learn the first time to stay away from the CFIDS/ME sick. What a fool.

Don't bother responding to his article. My suggestion as well as the others above me. We have worse enemies to hit and keep hitting until those two studies are released and CFIDS/XMRV research, funding are increased and we get what we should have gotten 30 years ago.

Min

Don't go to the link, he receives money every time someone does.

You can rate him here:

http://www.vitals.com/doctor/rate/Dr_Mark_Borigini

& here:

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/201646/Dr-Mark-James-Borigini-Long-Beach-CA.html

I feel so sorry for his fibromyalgia patients.

Here's what this idiot said in January:

"...But the Terrorists of Health, in full jihadist mode, are trumpeting XMRV as being "proof" that the mystery of chronic fatigue syndrome has been found.
Eternal hell to the non-believers..."

*GG*

XMRV and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Repressed, Reprieved, Or Rehashed? And you thought herpes was the virus that never goes away!

too funny, good idea,, why waste energy on these idiots?!