• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Kaufman lab test fees?

Hello! I'm seriously considering seeing Dr. Kaufman at the Center for Complex Diseases in California, and I'm wondering how much people have spent on lab work and tests who have seen him previously? I'm still working on wrapping my mind around the $2,000 for the initial two appointments, the first of which is in person meaning I have to travel. Fees for tests will be added to that $2,000. In one thread on here someone said they spent $10,000 on lab fees. Can anyone else who's seen him share how much they spent?

Other stories about him are welcome, too! I've so far heard only good things and I'm hopeful this will be a turning point for me.

Thanks.

Gingergrrl

In one thread on here someone said they spent $10,000 on lab fees. Can anyone else who's seen him share how much they spent?

The only scenario I can imagine this happening is if someone did not have any US health insurance and paid privately for lab tests. I have seen Dr. Kaufman since mid-2014 and all of my lab tests have been covered (blood, urine, imaging/scans, etc) by my insurance. The only exception I can think of was the Cell Trend testing which was not covered b/c it was with a non US lab.

I have had co-pays for my infusions (IVIG and Rituximab) but those co-pays were to the infusion center and not to Dr. K. When I did my initial two consults in person in 2014 (at the former OMI before Dr. K was with CCD), it was only around $350 per consult. I had no idea how much it cost now for the initial two consults!

Besides the costs, I would be also interested to know what exactly Dr. Kaufman tested.

He tests whatever he feels is appropriate in each case and it is very personalized. There are some tests that he would run on every patient but then the rest would be personalized. In my case, I already had an endocrinologist so he did not run any thyroid/endocrine testing on me b/c this would be a duplication whereas it might not be for someone else.

At my first consult (in 2014), he tested me for all types of pathogens (viruses & bacteria, etc), MTHFR mutations, NK cell functioning, etc, but as my case progressed, we tested things that were specifically relevant to me (mold & mycotoxin testing, POTS & autonomic testing, auto-antibodies (Cell Trend, Mayo panels), mast cell testing, etc.

I have read that neither Dr K nor Dr C are taking new patients at this time :(

I believe that is correct but that they have a third doctor now (Dr. Curtin I think is her name)? I do not know anyone who has seen her but I assume she must be excellent to have joined their team.

Wow, thank you so much @Gingergrrl!! I ended up making an appointment to se Dr. Curtin at the Center for Complex Diseases, because she had appointments available sooner than Kaufma and she seems solid. They said lab fees tend to run $2,000 to $10,000, but it does sound like $10,000 would be unusual: no insurance, international patients, etc. And you can discuss that at the time, maybe delay some tests, opt out of some, etc. Can I ask how much the diagnostic and treatment work you've gotten from Dr. Kaufman has helped or changed your condition?

Also: It sounds like Dr. Kaufman's office is taking new patients, it's just that the waiting list extends into the summer. I spoke to Ellen and she is working her way through the waiting list now. Dr. Curtin seems to have appointments available starting in January.

I have read that neither Dr K nor Dr C are taking new patients at this time :(

I made an appointment for Dr. Curtin at this practice in January, FYI! Appointments for other docs are available starting in the summer, was the impression I got from talking to them. They're working their way through the waiting list now.