• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Chia

Diwi9

Administrator
I was a patient of Dr. Chia. The first appointment was required in person, after that I was able to work with him over the phone. I started on Equillibrant prior to seeing him and kept me on it. I tested positive for past Coxsackie B4 and Echovirus 30 infections through ARUP Labs. He put me on Valtrex and I had improvements after three weeks of Valtrex. He later prescribed me Tenofovir and I did not respond and ceased taking it. I no longer see Dr. Chia, but have remained a patient of Dr. Chheda. I saw Dr. Bonilla while on Tenofovir and he grilled me for taking it under Dr. Chia's direction.

I switched from Dr. Chia to Dr. Chheda because Dr. Chia was very focussed on anti-virals and Dr. Chheda also prescribes anti-virals plus other wrap around treatments, like SIBO, MCAS, and POTS.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I was a patient of Dr. Chia. The first appointment was required in person, after that I was able to work with him over the phone. I started on Equillibrant prior to seeing him and kept me on it. I tested positive for past Coxsackie B4 and Echovirus 30 infections through ARUP Labs. He put me on Valtrex and I had improvements after three weeks of Valtrex. He later prescribed me Tenofovir and I did not respond and ceased taking it. I no longer see Dr. Chia, but have remained a patient of Dr. Chheda. I saw Dr. Bonilla while on Tenofovir and he grilled me for taking it under Dr. Chia's direction.

I switched from Dr. Chia to Dr. Chheda because Dr. Chia was very focussed on anti-virals and Dr. Chheda also prescribes anti-virals plus other wrap around treatments, like SIBO, MCAS, and POTS.
I've never heard of Valtrex against enteroviruses

Hip

I haven't found any reports on the results of these treatments, and how functional folks become. Do we have an idea?

Dr Chia could not get funding for an oxymatrine study, so conducted a quasi-study, which he detailed in one of his Invest in ME conference presentations. In this quasi-study, he found 30% of coxsackievirus B ME/CFS patients make major improvements on oxymatrine.

On this forum, a poll suggested only 13% get major improvements from oxymatrine. But that discrepancy could be down to the wrong patients trying oxymatrine (as far as I know, it only works for coxsackievirus B ME/CFS).

You see, the oxymatrine apparently isn't terribly effective for women, he even told me that in the one call I had with him.

I had not heard that before. I do know that Dr Chia said if it works for them, women may need to take oxymatrine indefinitely else they relapse. Whereas men can stop taking oxymatrine after 3 to 6 months.

I put lots of oxymatrine info and links in the oxymatrine section of my roadmap.

Diwi9

Administrator
Dear Diwi, did you get better on any of this??
Yes, I responded to the Equilibrant and the Valtrex. I stayed on the Valtrex, then switched to Famvir. I later tried Valcyte and had no response to it. I stopped anti-virals about a year ago and have declined. I'm in the process of restarting Valtrex. None of these were miracles, but did help get me out of bed and be more stable.

GlassCannonLife

Yes, I responded to the Equilibrant and the Valtrex. I stayed on the Valtrex, then switched to Famvir. I later tried Valcyte and had no response to it. I stopped anti-virals about a year ago and have declined. I'm in the process of restarting Valtrex. None of these were miracles, but did help get me out of bed and be more stable.
Ah damn.. Sucks to hear that you declined again!

Are you expecting to have to be on antivirals long-term? What is your current level of function roughly?

Boba

People with autoimmune illnesses shouldn’t take oxymatrine right? I ordered some and just realized that this was a mistake. 200$ gone…

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I have an appointment with Dr. Chia in August of 2022. The earliest they could get me in is in over a year. They also do in person only visits. I’m going to have to fly out to California. In order to see him, you have to have the ARUP test done, first, then have a doctor refer you to him.
Ok thank you. Then I give a f... on seeing him :) I'll try to get another.

Hip

At least B4 is a strain that can possibly respond to oxymatrine etc. I believe @Hip 's coxsackie is a variant that doesn't have any potential treatments at all.

I have coxsackievirus B4.

Oxymatrine works for CVB3 and CVB4, but not for echovirus, according to this article.

I am not sure if oxymatrine works for other CVBs.

Dr Chia found interferon does not work for CVB4. Well, that was interferon alpha; not sure about interferon beta.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I have coxsackievirus B4.

Oxymatrine works for CVB3 and CVB4, but not for echovirus, according to this article.

I am not sure if oxymatrine works for other CVBs.

Dr Chia found interferon does not work for CVB4. Well, that was interferon alpha; not sure about interferon beta.
Thanks for your input … interferon is far too expensive for relapsing after some months. I think up to date we have tenofovir and Oxymatrine

Diwi9

Administrator
Ah damn.. Sucks to hear that you declined again!

Are you expecting to have to be on antivirals long-term? What is your current level of function roughly?
My current functioning is low...in bed 20-22 hours. Yes, I do expect to be on AV's long-term based on my recurring immunological symptoms. Downturns are normally accompanied with sore throats, cold sores, and swollen lymph nodes.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

My current functioning is low...in bed 20-22 hours. Yes, I do expect to be on AV's long-term based on my recurring immunological symptoms. Downturns are normally accompanied with sore throats, cold sores, and swollen lymph nodes.
I'm sorry! Hope you get over this soon!!!