• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Chia finds 2% of ME/CFS cases are due to varicella zoster virus reactivation (shingles), and this form of ME/CFS is very treatable

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Bacterial rashes aren't uncommon either with shingles.
Entirely new to me.
ketones increase the risk of viral reactivations.
Again new. Why then do some profit? Bc we all have latent infections. Interesting!
Why is it limited to these shingles-typical places and doesn't typically occur on extremities,
My rash was localized to my torso mostly and not to extremities
wouldn't you be able to reinfect your skin by scratching somewhere else and getting it there?
very interesting question! I also have to dive deeper!

nerd

Entirely new to me.

Inflammated skin is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria.

Again new. Why then do some profit? Bc we all have latent infections. Interesting!

That's the question. I count myself to the group who profited in some way. There's the advantage for the NAD+/NADH balance of course. There's the advantage for the cellular energy availability.

Regarding the viral reactivations, I have two theories. First, it might be that the viruses reactivate but the physiological response during keto is much better in fighting it off and getting rid of more latent cells than the replication can counterweight. Second, it's possible that the latent viral activity is the main issue in ME, not the acute, not the completely dormant, but the low-level latent-lytic activity. The reactivation would push it out this state and force it in either direction. In one direction, they just disappear, in the other direction, they force the immune recognition that is absent during the earlier phases. But I'm still investigating this subject.

My rash was localized to my torso mostly and not to extremities

Mine as well, typical for both keto and shingles rash. Both can happen on extremities as well but it's rather seldom.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

but the low-level latent-lytic activity. The reactivation would push it out this state and force it in either direction. In one direction, they just disappear, in the other direction, they force the immune recognition that is absent during the earlier phases. But I'm still investigating this subject.
I have the same theory but including non-cytolytic EV.
There's the advantage for the cellular energy availability.
then every cell would possibly profit including immune cells
Mine as well, typical for both keto and shingles rash. Both can happen on extremities as well but it's rather seldom.
maybe I should just try Valtrex for a few weeks and see if it does sth

nerd

I have the same theory but including non-cytolytic EV

Equally valid

then every cell would possibly profit including immune cells

Yes

maybe I should just try Valtrex for a few weeks and see if it does sth

For shingles, much larger doses are necessary, aren't they? Normal-dose Valtrex affected my blood markers, unfortunately, so I had to stop. I think it was also responsible for why I felt so poor for a period during keto. I wish there was an equally potent virustatic that doesn't damage tubular cells.

roller

wiggle jiggle