• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Bieger Study Germany

Deatheye

The final presentation was by Wilfried Bieger (Munich,Germany). He mentioned their earlier studies to detect XMRV, which had been negative. His team had then collaborated with Judy Mikovits and set up a highly sensitive, specific and uncontaminated protocol for virus detection, sequencing of viral DNA and antibody testing with western blot. Viral DNA and RNA were not detected in fresh blood, but after cultivation of PBMCs for 6 weeks under stimulation and using partly co-culture with virus permissive LnCap cells, culture cells turned positive in some patients. Presence of XMRV was confirmed by sequencing XMRV specific DNA. There have been approximately 40% positives so far.

He went on to say that EBV reactivation seems common in ME/CFS. Anti-herpes viral therapy has promise of success.
http://www.investinme.org/IIME Conf...onal ME Conference 2011 Conference Report.htm

Bob

The final presentation was by Wilfried Bieger (Munich,Germany). He mentioned their earlier studies to detect XMRV, which had been negative. His team had then collaborated with Judy Mikovits and set up a highly sensitive, specific and uncontaminated protocol for virus detection, sequencing of viral DNA and antibody testing with western blot. Viral DNA and RNA were not detected in fresh blood, but after cultivation of PBMCs for 6 weeks under stimulation and using partly co-culture with virus permissive LnCap cells, culture cells turned positive in some patients. Presence of XMRV was confirmed by sequencing XMRV specific DNA. There have been approximately 40% positives so far.

http://www.investinme.org/IIME Conf...onal ME Conference 2011 Conference Report.htm

I think that sort of says it all about why most researchers can't detect XMRV, doesn't it?!?

Why does anyone think that the zero/zero studies are proof of contamination?

eric_s

Yes, we can of course not know for sure, but maybe now you have an idea why i said we have to defend this research after talking to Dr. Bieger. They must be allowed to get to the bottom of things without interference. And whoever tries to endanger this work must get the heat from our community of hundreds of thousands. We must be like the human shields if necessary, seriously :D Then nobody can stop this. At the moment maybe it's even better for those researchers to be able to work without too much publicity, but they must be able to work!