• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Donate to WPI: WPI is under attack, let show them some love!

Did you donate to WPI?

• Yes I just did !!!

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leaves

WPI is having an extremely tough time at the moment, they are cut off from funding, their research is being scrutinized and they are not given the chance (either in the media or in the scientific journals) to defend themselves.
They have been doing great work for us, have been real advocates. Let's show them we care and donate. http://www.wpinstitute.org/help/help_donation.html
Some of us may have little funds, but even a sum as little as $5 helps, and strengthens them. You could also think of asking for a donation to WPI as a Christmas present, or sell some old junk at ebay, etc.

Let's show them some LOVE :victory:

RivkaRivka

i just donated waaaaay more than i could afford! but it was just what i wanted to do, so i did it! in judy we trust!

Marty

Has anyone investigated seeking funding from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation?

Yes, bless her. A concerted effort to request funding from them seems worthwhile to me. Does anyone know if WPI has contacted them?

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
I was wondering about the Gates Foundation, too. Have not written them yet. Did your Mom get a reply?

She just did it last week. But I suspect they have a form letter to reply to one-off requests.

They accept grant proposals in several areas, including "Neglected diseases." http://www.gatesfoundation.org/grantseeker/Pages/funding-neglected-diseases.aspx

I don't see a category for "abused-patient diseases."

We should check with WPI before we try to do anything on their behalf.

ETA: Just noticed this on their funding priorities page:

Examples of areas the foundation does not fund include:

Projects addressing health problems in developed countries

But perhaps we could make a case that ME/CFS-land, where we live, qualifies.

Marty

So far there are 58 billionaires who have pledged to give away their money. I hope someone can pick up on this and make it their project. Our need is urgent, and other causes will be flooding to feed at the trough. I hope, I hope even one of them knows an ME/CFS patient and that patient can speak up, or some patient will reach out to someone in their area.

KC22

I just donated again. When my husband died, I had WPI donations, in lieu of flowers. I know many people donated. We need more of this or any other creative ways to bring about attention and support to WPI.

C

Cloud

The Gates foundation told me a few years ago that they only donate to third world causes. BUT, it's worth trying again, especially since they now have lots more $$ in the kitty what with Buffet and the FB geek donating 1/2 their fortunes.

helen41

The one good thing about being sick- I haven't bought nearly the gifts I used to. This was a gift I really enjoyed giving. Good idea Leaves- I'm sure an influx of donations will really help send a message to WPI

markmc20001

Great thread leaves. I'll donate again.

Regarding Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, I read the same on the website that their focus is on third world countries. Maybe hit up John Edwards, a mulit-millionaire lawyer who's ex-wife(Elzabeth Edwards) just died of Cancer... Also, Mark Zuckerburg of facebook already agreed to give away his wealth... Also Jesse Ventura, former governer and TV star, his wife has CFS...

Marty

Thanks to Pandora's reference to the internet, Jesse Ventura lives in Mexico off the grid now (as of April 2008).

Transcript from Larry King, April 2008:
"I chose not to run again. If you read my book, I explain it completely. I didn't run for a second term because of the health of my wife. And I will pick my wife over any political office in the land. She means more to me than holding an office.

KING: What was the matter?

VENTURA: Well, the moment I won election, she was having a lot of difficulty and they couldn't determine what was wrong with her. It turned out that it was Epstein-Barr mono that then evolved into this Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. And she's still troubled with it today...

KING: (INAUDIBLE) a lot (INAUDIBLE) sleep a lot (ph)?

VENTURA: Yes. And she would be at certain points where she told me lifting her purse felt like it weighed 250 pounds. It's a very difficult disease that doctors have just recently begun to recognize. At the time she had it, they weren't even recognizing it fully. And the Baja has really cured her of it because --

KING: What are your impressions, by the way, of Al Gore?"

Nothing left out; that's the way it happened!

Certainly worth a try for an appeal for funding, if anyone can find him.

leaves

That is great, already 9 people donated! Let's keep the donations coming. Even if you have limited funds, a small amount does signal to WPI that we trust them, support them, believe in them and are thankful for all that they have done for us.

Tia

This is So strange! Why are they being vut off NOW? Like when they told the world about xmrv, they got shut out. I smell conspiracyyyy!