• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does the Low Dose Naltrexone mechanism extend to other drugs?

S-VV

LDN works by transient antagonism of the opioid receptors, thereby tricking the body to upregulate them.

Recently, I started taking a low dose of Clonidine for sleep. Clonidine binds to presynaptic alpha2 receptors, reducing adrenaline release. However, during the day I started having random shivers, I recognized them as adrenaline driven, since I also have them when I take midrodine, a pure alpha1 agonist.

What I think happened is that the low dose of Clonidine slowly reduced the number of alpha2 receptors.

Something similar happens when I took gabapentin for sleep. The following day I started having peripheral neuropathy. Gabapentin is used to treat neuropathy by blocking calcium channels is glutamatergic neurons, so I imagine the body upregulated those channels.

Now the question is, if our bodies are so sensible to neuroactive substances, could we take a low dose of a GABAa and a D2 antagonist in order to induce receptor upregulation? Or is naltrexone somehow special?

Hip

Now the question is, if our bodies are so sensible to neuroactive substances, could we take a low dose of a GABAa and a D2 antagonist in order to induce receptor upregulation?

Possibly, but the question is, would the upregulation actually have any useful clinical effects?

LDN works by transient antagonism of the opioid receptors, thereby tricking the body to upregulate them.

LDN has a number of different mechanisms:

blocks TLR-4 on microglia (anti-inflammatory)
antagonizes TLR-9, as well as TLR-7 and TLR-8
increases levels of met-enkephalin (opioid growth factor) and its receptor
• blocks the mu-opioid, delta-opioid and kappa-opioid receptors for a short while (thought to up-regulate endorphins)
• has an effect the nociceptin system
• may reduce peroxynitrite and may thereby increase astrocyte glutamate transport

It's not known which of these mechanisms help in ME/CFS.

junkcrap50

I saw just recently headlines of low dose Ritalin being more effective than regular dose. But I didn't read the articles or look into it.