• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does taking more B12 make you need more folate?

I know B12 is water soluble so you will just pee out anything you don't absorb, but if you took someone that was on a lower maintenance dose of B12 and fully saturated them via regular injection... Would that person's need for folate or utilization of folate actually go up or down?

drmullin30

Hi Blue, my experience has been that increases in B12 dosage need to be matched with an increase in folate otherwise I get folate deficiency symptoms.

Hi Blue, my experience has been that increases in B12 dosage need to be matched with an increase in folate otherwise I get folate deficiency symptoms.

I am finding that as well I just wasn't sure if B12 absorption peaked and then folate could be backfilled from there