• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Palmitoylethanolamid (PEA) works transdermally?

nerd

I think so. It's lipophilic, small and flexible. The question is how fast it is locally metabolized for it to reach the blood circle.

It's an interesting molecule. Why do you think of it?

perchance dreamer

Do you experience any other benefits from it other than pain relief?

PEA is also a mast cell stabilizer, and I found it was helping some with my chronic allergies, but then Austin was recently carpet bombed with fall pollen and new types of mold.

I take a low dose of PEA because higher doses give me insomnia although I don't think that's a common side effect. I have a crazy sensitive system.

nerd

Thanks to you two!

i think that it exists as topical, is a good sign.

nerd,
i found this paper:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/...rG-CnvPARXOAOCwBNyCpaFw2Sdd1sItlPHolDSOUJOrQ&

i‘m experience profound help from baclofen and think it is due to its regulation on my gliacells. (As pea also does…
Also a severe mcas patient) Unfortunately can’t take more.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26283920/

I'm about to try Allopregnanolone for the same propose, if I finally can manage to import it into the EU.

It would be nice if PEA achieves the same while being prescription-free. It depends on the question how much you would need to take for sufficient efficacy and if it's realistic to take so much. I'll look into it.

CBD in large doses helps against my pain, but it also seems to trigger pharyngitis or viral reactivation. It also helps against anxiety. PEA has a different mechanism at and different selection for cannabinoid receptors. Maybe it's an alternative without the same tolerance buildup that I've seen with CBD.

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
in order to make my cannabinoid receptors happy, I simply smeared lecithin on skin. it contains phosphatidyl ethanolamine, which triggers cannabinoid receptors.
(But I can't vouch for pain for the simple reason that I didn't have any to begin with. but cannabinoid receptors are important also for digestion, more specifically to suppress excess inflammation in the gut. the effect was dramatic: I could eat so much more that I even succeeded to gain weight. before that I could eat almost nothing, but after a while I ran into bigger trouble. making cannabinoid receptors happy is only a trick to make the body function more normally than it is able to. for me it worked better to do the hard work to address the underlying causes of my gut problems instead of quick fixes that make me function for a while)

just in case that you are open to an unusual thought - well, unusual only for PR: there is research that spiritual meditation substantially increases pain threshold. this is open to everyone, one does not have to believe in any spirits or gods. (belief is optional. spiritual meditation works with or without. I am a researcher and I don't believe anything unless reasonably substantiated.)
I have tried this spiritual meditation thing and it worked wonders for me with lasting success. the effect becomes stronger and stronger. experienced meditators can even get full happy ecstasy (called ananda in yoga / sanscrit. this is the namesake for today's word anandamide, the most important endocannabinoid), I got this once :angel::angel::angel::angel:.
Unfortunately it's difficult to measure endocannabinoids in the human brain, which is what would be needed. instead all the research I know measures pain thresholds.

- if any of these are of interest, let me know. I have somewhere the details: the product of lecithin I used, the composition of lecithin and I have somewhere this study on spiritual meditation. can find them in my notes,

Last edited: