• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does early bed time help anyone?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
It makes all the difference in the world for me. A disturbed circadian rhythm that is out of sync with the natural sun cycle will cause me to feel CFS-like symptoms almost immadately. Really throws the whole biological system off.

Moof

It doesn't help me – I'm better waiting till I'm ready to sleep, which is nearer midnight. If I try to go early, I always end up not getting to sleep until even later!

gumman123

yeah it helps. nature probably intended that we sleep sun set to sun rise which is quite different than what I do atm. another thing that helps a lot is sleeping on the floor instead of a mattress. i have been doing it a few nights and will keep doing it. i notice it is more comfortable and i nose breathe instead of mouth breathe. nose breathing increases brain and blood oxygenation 15% compared to mouth breathing.

I feel this illness has changed my biological clock. It doesn't matter how early or late I go to bed, it stays skewed, though sometimes less skewed than others.

Of course I need to lie down more than the average person generally, unconnected to bedtime.

I find it better to go to bed closer to when I am ready to sleep (3-5am) because if I go too early, I lie there feeling depressed and thinking of the things I should be doing and haven't done because I was too knackered today.

jesse's mom

I do better when I sleep at night and have two short naps in the day, but like many of us I spend a lot of time in the bed.

My schedule tends to get reversed. I think what helps for now is that I am still getting up by 5:30 am to get a child off to school. That forced wake up time I think helps me. No matter how hard the night I still have to get up.

Not me. I’ve tried to normalize my sleeping cycle several times over the years, but run into problems every time. Now, having caved in and let my body decide the sleeping pattern I feel «better». No shame, no guilt, no «should have». Just accepting my natural cycle gives me longer uninterupted sleep, deeper sleep, and better «mornings» when I finally get up.

I usually go to bed at 5 am. - 6 am. and wake up at 2.pm-3.pm. Getting out of bed at approx 4.pm-5.pm.