• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does brain fog reduce the spiritual sense?

Bansaw

Hi!Later I felt I was being asked 'what do you want me to do for you?' but could not decide whether to ask for my health or for my family but then, I knew that the thing I wanted most is to be restored back to being close to God.
Great testimony, thanks. I got a similar experience where I felt I could ask openly for something and God would do it. Its very rare, but mine happened on Sept 30th 1999. I'll never forget that moment.
I'm not saying its a once in a lifetime thing, but its rare. I could do with it happening again with this CFS. What I would ask for is a restoration of the sense of God's presence. I think the absence of God's presence has matured my faith, but I do want that awesome connection to Him back. You know what I mean Brenda I am sure.
I would like a group to surround me and fight for me in prayer for a breakthrough. I don't think I've got one near me at the moment.

brenda

Great testimony, thanks. I got a similar experience where I felt I could ask openly for something and God would do it. Its very rare, but mine happened on Sept 30th 1999. I'll never forget that moment.
I'm not saying its a once in a lifetime thing, but its rare. I could do with it happening again with this CFS. What I would ask for is a restoration of the sense of God's presence. I think the absence of God's presence has matured my faith, but I do want that awesome connection to Him back. You know what I mean Brenda I am sure.
I would like a group to surround me and fight for me in prayer for a breakthrough. I don't think I've got one near me at the moment.

Oh wow I did not know it was rare, but it has been the first time for me, and I made a note of the day :) I have always thought that I could go through anything if I had God's presence with me, but like you have had to forego it for maturing my faith. The church today has no concept of the discipline of suffering and thinks that you are out of God's favour for your sins. Job again.

I only found this one a few months ago which is nearby and they meet in the morning and are two thirds elderly so nice and quiet :) There is one woman with cancer, one with MS and one with severe arthritis so I dont feel out of place. They can all do more than me though.

I will be away for three days and will have no cooking or anything and no driving so it will be a rest and hopefully very fruitful spiritually. It usually is :)

xrunner

When I was speaking in churches I had an extra energy and power that lasted just enough for the duration of the tour
That's quite significant.
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
The key words for me here "wait upon the Lord". Actively waiting rather than passively waiting.

digital dog

I can't read all the posts but just wanted to say that when I connect to spirit all my ME symptoms go.
I wish I could become a medium so that I could feel this exquisite sensation more often. I feel so privileged to have experienced these episodes in my life but I so wish it would happen more often. The trouble is, Im too ill to connect.
What I don't understand is this: My body and mind become totally at ease during these spiritual encounters and I feel perfect wonderment (divine, free, pure etc) so why can't I feel that pleasure more often? If there is a God, spirit, divine being that is making me feel that way, why can't they just let me feel slightly better every day?
I have seen, heard, felt and experienced many spiritual/supernatural wonders since being a child and these really help me to believe that we will go beyond this life into a place of absolute nirvana.
YIPPI!!!!

digital dog

But, yes, Hip the dissociation with the divine is extremely hard. I used to say that it felt as if my soul was crying.

cmt12

It is during the times of greatest struggle that provide the best opportunity to connect with that something deeper within. Opportunity presents itself not in the day-to-day stresses but when we feel deep pain within the heart, when we are knocked back with disillusionment. That is the context that allows us the capability and freedom to choose the path of most resistance, where a higher intelligence is waiting.

Pain states compel us to escape the discomfort and force us into our head of racing thoughts. However, heartbreak has the potential to wake something up inside of us, a mindset that can overcome the impulses of the pain state. These moments are sacred and should be seized by bringing our focus and awareness deep into our heart where the pain is and reside there, and listen. When the resistance forces us out, into the racing thoughts and feelings of victimization and anger, we forcefully bring ourselves back within. This is an activity of feel and trust beyond the intellect.

How been feeling lately is totally insane. I've been feeling totally religious OCD and feeling like I'm close to God to feeling dead the next day. I don't even know if what I'm feeling is really God talking to my heart or some mental illness or the devil. I am depressed and stopped all my hobbies which I felt were "sinful hobbies" because all hobbies are bad for me.. I don't even know anymore what is God or not or mental Illness because of my 24/7 head pain. I do pray, talk to him but I think I'm just insane. (I'm christian)

@Teddybear92 - Can you see your psychiatrist about this? It sounds pretty serious, and you need to take good care of yourself. Getting your mental health taken care of is important to making that happen.

rebar

Teddybear, I agree with Valentijn, please find assistance. Help does not mean giving up your belief in God. I have trouble with strong mood swings and I associate it with my ME/CFS diagnosis. Our shared illness plays havoc with us, both physical and psychological. I too am concerned for your health.

Last edited:

Zensational

Everyone has a different concept of God. Everyone is right. I have gained more spiritual awareness during my 31 years (not counting) with CIFIDS that I ever had before. I think that is because in the beginning I was on a career path and was very externally directed. CFS has been a wonderful teacher for me. It has persuaded me to look inward and that is a good place to be and sometimes kicking and screaming I've had to face demons that I wanted to supress. Today I surround myself with positive supportive people and I listen to uplifting music. I have spiritual teachers that speak to my heart and had helped me immensely. I love the Abraham teachings. Addressing the physical aspect of CIFIDS, I must admit that it is difficult to stay positive and hopeful when you don't feel well. I just allow myself to feel crappy and try to be okay with it knowing that my body is not who I am. The more I learn about quantum mechanics the more convinced I am of this. All paths lead home and all paths are valid.
BYW, I recently learned that classical music actually resides in a higher dimension.
"Classical music exists in a dimension impenetrable to human beings, so we may never fully comprehend it," said Stanford theoretical physicist Leonard Susskind."

Zensational

I forgot to say from my last post that the pineal gland is the gateway to the higher dimensions. Most of us in Western culture at least have calcified pineal glands due to fluoride in our drinking water, chloride, bromide in bread. The best way to feel the "connection to the divine" is to decalcify the pineal gland with the mineral boron, eliminate fluroide in toothpaste and drink Reverse Osmosis water.

actup

In answer to the thread's headline question I have to say YES based on personal experience during bedridden days especially. I was truly in the moment but not in a spiritual way. Felt like a sick animal surviving moment by moment.

Zensational

Lions Mane Medicinal Mushrooms improves memory and mood.
http://nootriment.com/lions-mane/
We are now taking several kinds of medicinal mushrooms and my husband and I have so much energy that we are playing racketball at lease 4-5 times a week. And we are ages 65 and 70.
I'm not kidding about this. We discovered it by accident, (no accidents really) and we researched the benefits of the various types of medicinal mushrooms and ordered a pound of each. My husband, who has EBV and normally sleeps 12-14 hours a day now goes to the gym and yesterday went out and pulled all the weeds in our backyard. Alot of weeds. I'm not sure which mushroom is doing it or if it is the combination. This has been going on for several weeks. We even go out at night. We still get tired in the afternoon sometimes and have to refresh but before this we were like slugs every day. Here is what I ordered.
Mushroom Harvest, Organic Agarikon Mushroom Powder, 1 lb

Mushroom Harvest, Organic Chaga Mushroom Powder, 1 lb

Mushroom Harvest, Organic Lion's Mane Full Spectrum, Powder, 1 lb

Mushroom Harvest, Organic Reishi Mushroom Powder, 1 lb

Next time I order I'm going to get Cordiceps and Turkey Tail as well. I got them from MedShroom.com

I hope this helps someone. I has to pass it along. This difference has been amazing. I am not affiliated with this company in any way. BTW.

frozenborderline

Hi Sparrowhawk. Yes, you got it right. My avatar is Jung's drawing of Philemon, the guiding spirit in his confrontation with the unconscious. Jung's Red Book is awesome, isn't it. I've had it since it first came out in 2010, but haven't read the whole thing yet. It's too intense for me to try to take in as a whole, so I just read passages, and savor them.

Jung has been a big inspiration for me since I was in high school. I read all of the Collected Works by the time I was in my mid-twenties, as well as everything I could find by ML von Franz, and much of Hillman, Mircea Eliade and Joseph Campbell. These are the writings I return to when I need to re-remember the bigger picture of my life. There is so much in them, that I can read them over and over and be re-inspired each time.

In case you haven't read it, here's a great article on the publishing of the Red Book, and what it took to get it into print and public circulation. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/magazine/20jung-t.html?_r=3&scp=1&sq=jung's red book&st=cse&

I hear you. It can be difficult to find that center of consciousness when symptoms become overwhelming, but knowing that it's there is a comfort and relief.
eliade is cool

Wolfcub

Prior to the onset of this illness, I had been tremendously strong and fit. And six years ago was taken to a place spiritually which was incredibly beautiful. It was peace, grace, harmony and Love.
Steady and forever. Echoes of a world beyond this one (even though I have always loved this one in a hands-on earthy way)
Steady and forever. Nothing could ever take away from me -that experience. And it wasn't a singular experience. It recurred -again and again.
It wasn't an escapist's dream. Sounds a bit like it, but it wasn't. It immersed me in returning what I found to grass-roots; bringing it back to Earth. Sharing -not only in words but with the energetic force and gentle grace of it.
Far from it being escapism, it was enrichment. It touched life, it enriched life, and it was always a place I could enter as true "home".
I knew it was a grace. I imagined it was very unlike life here generally. It was rarified air.

But the very first day I became suddenly unwell, I became strangely divorced from it.
The way of being which I held most dear. At 1.30 pm on the 27th March 2018 my life, meaning, connection with Soul, and finer feelings.... changed -suddenly and without warning.
I tried to reach that spiritual warmth. It was shockingly impossible.
My body was suddenly sick too.
I thought "It will pass."
It didn't.
Six months later it is still the same.

I now examine how much of my illness is existential agony. I have also examined the concept of the "Dark Night of the Soul".
This is not wasted experience; that much I do know. It is vitally important. This is the next step on a spiritual journey.
I also am aware that no-one can help except my own Soul. I look for my own spiritual advice from deep within.
The inner voice is mostly silent. There is a dreadful dryness, and a painful sense of separation. Worse than any physical pain I have ever known.
Something whispers "Endurance", and I see images of water shaping rocks over time.

There are times I resist it. And I try to reach back to that beauty and grace. I "see" it, but it has no scent, no flavour, no dimension.
It has not gone. It hasn't left. It exists in Spirit. And I have known it. But so often there is a form of grieving inside me.
Now I have to take the next trail on the spiritual journey.
It seems that something within me is withheld from it deliberately. Yet not unlovingly.

And something is whispering to me that there IS no "that was beautiful, and this is horrible". It is just a different stage of knowing. Just a phase along the way of learning.
I also feel (though I am not sure) it may help with the knowledge of Compassion.

Meanwhile I cry my tears, and continue on, treading day by day, continuing with the things which are steady and reliable and very ordinary -to the best of my ability.

I was visited by Grace. That can never be taken away by anything, and I was and still am, very blessed.
Now I learn courage, patience, hope, endurance, steadily holding those things close to my heart even though I suddenly cannot see them any more.
One day I will.

Wayne

steadily holding those things close to my heart even though I suddenly cannot see them any more. ...... Kindest thoughts to anyone here who reads this, because I know you all would love to feel better too. I hope you will. God bless.

Hi @Wolfcub,

Thanks so much for your gentle, and almost poetic description of some of your deepest thoughts and reflections. I just read your post in the "information" section in your profile, and appreciated reading that as well. -- I was going to write more, but I guess not at the moment. Hopefully another time... :)