• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

does anyone feel better when they dont eat?

uni

Adreno - I get this too

And it seems to be much worse if I don't eat enough carbs. I've tested my blood sugar during those moments and they seem to be OK. I use to tolerate fasting fine - I would get somewhat irritable and hungry, but I wouldn't feel terrible cognitively. Now I get increased brain fog, weakness, worsening of symptoms in general if I don't eat - but I don't really get hungry (I have to force myself to eat). Maybe it has something to due with the inflammation/immune system activating due to increases in norepinephrine. I notice that if I try to exercise - I "run out of glucose" much more quickly. Again, I'm not sure if its an actual low blood sugar, but it sure feels like it.

Calathea

I feel much worse if I skip meals, I definitely can't manage any form of even partial fasting. I need to eat at regular times, with well-spaced snacks, and not to wait too long between supper and breakfast. That said, I did have a little more energy when I was dieting (May 2011 - March 2012), though the main thing I noticed was being able to shower first thing in the morning. The showering thing has vanished since I've been maintaining my weight, although I also had major surgery at the same time that I was finishing my diet, so I've been recovering from that. I also do better with carbs, though of course I'm talking about complex carbs, preferably wholegrains, rather than sugars.

For people who feel better when they skip meals and eat in a smaller window, you may find it helpful to read up on Intermittent Fasting. It's not for everyone, but I've run across quite a few people online who get on beautifully with it.

nanonug

For people who feel better when they skip meals and eat in a smaller window, you may find it helpful to read up on Intermittent Fasting.

Yeap, intermittent fasting totally works for me but gets "old" after awhile. One good thing about intermittent fasting is that it appears to afford the same epigenetic changes associated with calorie restriction.

Athene

ihateticks.me
My wild guess: many patients don't digest gluten.

Gluten are digested by the enzym DPP-IV. If you lack these enzymes, gluten will become toxic: exorphines. Exorphines destroy cell receptors which are responsible for insuline tolerance, immunity, pain reception, dopamine, ...
If your cholesterol is high, your diet is fine and you don't tolerate gluten, consider a lack of the enzym DPP IV.

Your cells will have become insuline intolerant which makes you easily become hypoglycemic (snacking after dinner for instance) or angry when hungry.

It makes no sense to take statines to lower the cholesterol since it will lower the levels of DPP IV enzym even more. You have more chances to become diabetic and the real problem isn't your liver but your gut.

Have you tried taking the enzymes? I took the tablets forms from Kirkman for a while but they didn't help at all.
I haven't eaten gluten for years now and I don't think that it the whole story, at least not in my case. Though I do agree it plays a role - for me, eliminating it helps a lot.

Marlène

@ athene

I did take the enzymes AND then took low dose naltrexone (LDN) for 14 months. LDN stimulates the production of opiate receptors, who were destroyed by the exorphines previously.

I bought the enzymes Probiozym at neurozym.com.

SaraM

My muscle pain went away once I was not able to eat for three days, but in order to control other symptoms I need to eat red meat, and a little rice or veggies.

Sing

This is a very old thread but I would like to add my two cents nonetheless.

Nanonug, I was struck by the juxtoposition of your avatar of our ancestor type, and your saying, "This is a very old thread....." There was a poetic feeling to this. Our bodies are ancient in their forms and processes, and it was good to recall this in that moment.

chilove

Hi all,

I'm the same way. ZI feel the best when eating very lightly and low on the food chain.The only way I stay functional (able to get through a light to medium energy day and work a full time job) is by close adherance to a low protein, low fat vegan, mostly raw diet. My body blows up with inflammation whenever I eat cooked food... animal protein is the worst though.. both raw and cooked.

I think it has to do with several factors: LGS, protein metabolism issues (I have the compound MTHFR mutation), liver weakness and overall toxic load. WHen I'm very tired or sick or otherwise stressed I sometimes react to even usually "safe" foods.

Taking anti-inflammatory herbs and diamine oxidase with every meal helps me a great deal. LDN (low dose naltrexone) helped reduce my sensitivities overall.I tried many different types and brands of digestive enzymes but they didn't seem to do anything.

JAM

Jill
Since I didn't see my experience in this thread I thought I'd add it. If I don't eat my digestive system feels better, but I get very weak and light headed. If I eat regularly my brain functions better, but I get an increase in IBS symptoms. For a time I suffered from pain induced anorexia, I was terrified of eating because every time I ate it felt like there was an icepick stuck in my descending colon. The discovery of peppermint oil changed my life in that respect.

cigana

I feel much better when I don't eat.

I used to feel light-headed when not eating, but that was when I had a significant amount of carbohydrates in my diet. Since switching to a low carb diet, I no longer have any bad feelings due to skipping a meal or two.

knackers323

I feel much better when I don't eat.

I used to feel light-headed when not eating, but that was when I had a significant amount of carbohydrates in my diet. Since switching to a low carb diet, I no longer have any bad feelings due to skipping a meal or two.

Any idea why this happens?

cigana

Any idea why this happens?
All I really know is that it's not a allergic reaction or an intolerance, because I have tried many restrictive diets over the years, eating only lamb and rice for a week, for example. I've eliminated all grain, gluten, dairy and soy for over a year. I've gone fructose free for weeks. High carb, low carb. I've even done weeks of glucose-only in case it was SIBO related. Nothing changes the fact that simply eating anything makes me more tired. The tiredness kicks in within about half an hour. For a year I was eating only one meal a day as a result of this.
I was negative on a mannitose leaky gut test.

Edit: KDM told me this is common amongst PWC's.

rwac

All I really know is that it's not a allergic reaction or an intolerance, because I have tried many restrictive diets over the years, eating only lamb and rice for a week, for example. I've eliminated all grain, gluten, dairy and soy for over a year. I've gone fructose free for weeks. High carb, low carb. I've even done weeks of glucose-only in case it was SIBO related. Nothing changes the fact that simply eating anything makes me more tired. The tiredness kicks in within about half an hour. For a year I was eating only one meal a day as a result of this.

Not eating will raise stress (cortisol and/or adrenaline) to release nutrients that come either from liver storage or from sacrificing tissue. Cortisol will make you less tired temporarily. Eating a good meal with carb and protein will reduce the stress, making you tired.

Eating a meal a day will work short term, but reducing overall stress is the way to go.

redaxe

Yes I have also tried fasting. Usually for about 10-12 hours a day but I have done some 2.5-4.5 day fasts too (water & salt only - no food)...

There are some side-effects to fasting, POTS & orthostatic intolerance can get worse but I found the brain fog lifts dramatically but only to return after food is introduced again.
I know that part of my story has been mold sensitivity but regarding fasting all I can think of is that during ketosis the body tries to save energy so certain inflammatory processes are shut off or reduced. Hence the clearer & more sharper cognitive function.
There is some interest in the research community about the effects of fasting on the immune system so it seems that there may be something here of interest.

knackers323

@cigana made any progress with this or have a better understanding?

can i also ask what kdm was able to do for you?

also what firm of gcmaf did you use and do you still use it. thanks

cigana

@cigana made any progress with this or have a better understanding?

can i also ask what kdm was able to do for you?

also what firm of gcmaf did you use and do you still use it. thanks
Everything is still the same, all the tiredness starts when I eat, no matter what I eat.
I didn't continue KDM's protocol, so it's hard to judge, but I felt no benefits while I was on it.

I used gcmaf.eu, when I was taking gcmaf, it coincided with a time when I was doing very well. The UK government banned gcmaf.ue from selling to the UK, so I have never been able to repeat that experiment to see if my improvement was related to the gcmaf.

knackers323

Hey Knackers. I'm wondering how long after eating you feel worse. The reason I ask is I believe there's a cytokine mini-storm that's triggered by the act of eating (regardless what) which perpetuates the disease. It occurs for me within ten minutes of first swallowing and leads to fasciculations and electrical sensitivity among other things. Cort spoke of this reaction in his interview with Dr Logan, and I've detailed it to some extent in my TPN thread where I link to three CFS sufferers who all fasted, received intravenous nutrition, and recovered. Check it out if you like:

http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showthread.php?8228-A-Role-for-TPN-in-CFS&highlight=Dufresne

@Dufresne the link doesn't work. Can you please link us to the 3 patients who recovered from not eating. Very interesting