• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you worry about your cardiac health from minimal exercise?

Booble

I have a dog and walk her twice a day a mile each walk. Sometimes it wipes me out though. I try my best to stay active. I have a dodgy heart which seems to come with this wonderful condition. I am also vegetarian and try my best to eat as healthily as I can when I am up to standing in the kitchen chopping all the veg.

Wow, you can do a mile twice a day?! I'm impressed (and jealous.)
I have a dog as well which is how I get in the 15 minute walk each day!

I used to live in the countryside and it was a 4.5mile round trip from the house to the park and back. I did that walk everyday until about 7 yrs ago when I became ill. I started to walk in the fields by the house then but still managed to go out a couple of times a day. I have moved house now and live 3 minutes walk from the river. (I timed it). Once I get to the river bank I let my dog off her lead and slowly walk down the riverbank. Most of the time I am fine when I get home but sometimes I am completely knackered. The last couple of days I have been feeling quite weak and have done nothing between the dog walks.

I think this is an important topic.
It would be great if some appropriate programs could be developed on health well-care by experts who even somewhat understand ! this disease.
I went to a PT and he gave me some exercises with a suggestion to "just pace myself" and that was not what I was looking for!

Reading_Steiner

I eat too much automatically to try and compensate for low energy, thats a big trouble, diets can often fail for that reason. I lost about 10 KG last year but I put most of it back on within a 6 month period it seems. At the highest I have been around 115KG which is when I started to feel uncomfortable about my body. Did not have any weight problem before becoming ill. This is cointuitive but pacing rather than pushing it all the time might actually improve our weight because of what I said initially.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I take vitamin K2 which according to a fair number of studies prevents arterial plaque deposits.
The molecule responsible for this (that K2 activates) is created by Vitamin D which i also take (and am tested for)

Emmarose47

Thank you for the post Booble ...
It's a subject I've been wanting to talk about .
I am worried . It's only ( only ! Been 6 mths since I am severe in PEM but my goodness has my fitness level plummeted .
I was so active before hiking , cycling , walking swimming .. didn't drive . The past 2 yrs I've needed to pace a lot more and the hiking stopped but still I was quite fit .
Now I find for example today I walked and out the garden and then up stairs and I was puffing like an old women .
I eat a plant based diet so that's good and eat no junk. Lots of water and do daily yoga ( except if too unwell ) .. I'm also going to add in some core strength stuff / bit of weight bearing ... Other than that it seems to be about acceptance.
I've just bought a mobility scooter so looks like I'm not going jogging any time soon !

I hear you it is a worry ...
We can but do our best with the restraints we have and make.small adjustments and improvements where we can I guess .
Hoping our cardiac health isn't too affected

Rufous McKinney

My doctor tells me to wiggle my feet those days I’m more or less bed bound.

a manuever I learned from the Tai Chi Master- its just twirling your ankles in circles.

Most of us CAN do this for a little while. Maybe in a chair, or on the bed.

Per the Tai Chi Master (yes, an actual one, hence I should be listening) he would see me sitting at the micrscope and tell me to twirl those ankles.

Toxins really build up down there- this twirling keeps them moving. And Qi moving.

Emmarose47

a manuever I learned from the Tai Chi Master- its just twirling your ankles in circles.

Most of us CAN do this for a little while. Maybe in a chair, or on the bed.

Per the Tai Chi Master (yes, an actual one, hence I should be listening) he would see me sitting at the micrscope and tell me to twirl those ankles.

Toxins really build up down there- this twirling keeps them moving. And Qi moving.
Lovely I love twirling my ankles and moving my feet ...helps with pain and stiffness ..
I keep hearing about tai chi and chi gong I would like to learn some

Rufous McKinney

I take vitamin K2 which according to a fair number of studies prevents arterial plaque deposits.

Some other items which may reduce arterial plaque....

1) Red Rice Yeast- my doctor prescribed me this. I was headed for another blood test one year ago, wondering if the red rice yeast had improved anything, but I don't yet know. Then I didn't take it much. Recently I resumed.

So silly me, I didn't realize it actually possess Statin- like substances. Hummm

https://www.verywellhealth.com/non-prescription-cholesterol-lowering-red-yeast-rice-1745258

2) K2 (also doctor)

3) I recommend playing around with: proteolytic enzymes. Serrapeptase, Nattopeptase, possibly others. THey seem to be very interesting- at going after some of these types things.

They cause detox effects, so if anyone is trying that, go very very slowly. I might take a serrapetase once a week. I might taste metals, after. It likely is working on gut lining, lungs, arteries, etc.

I don' t know if much research has been done on these enzymes and arteries: I might go look.

Martial

Diet is going to a huge assistance when exercising isn't as feasible. If you have an impeccable diet then you can easier get away with less exercise. I think it's important to also be sure not to cause yourself a crash by over expending energy limits too because the crashes set you back longer in the long term