• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have ME/CFS with or without sore throat?

How often do you have sore throat since you got ME/CFS?

• Almost never

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • More than twice a year

Votes: 67 64.4%

• Total voters

Tally

I am curious how many people with ME/CFS have sore throat often (more than once or twice a year)?

Also, are there any theories what causes our sore throat? I have it often but all the explanations I've read of ME/CFS don't seem to explain the sore throat.

soxfan

I have never had a sore throat...even when I was first sick it has not been a symptom for me. Last time I had a sore throat was probably like 10 or 15 years ago...

Merry

Hi, Tally.

Sore throat (almost always on the right side only) has been one of my most frequent symptoms. It could come and go as quickly as an hour and vary in intensity. I could expect that with any increase in activity, a sore throat was likely to appear. From the fall of 2009, when I experience a crash that I'm still trying to recover from, until the fall of 2011, I would say that I experienced sore throat several times a week. It was generally accompanied by other fluey symptoms.

Since I started the Simplified Methylation Protocol last September, I have had few sore throats. I can't remember when I had the last one and would have to read through my medical diary to give you a more accurate account.

I, too, have wondered what causes the sore throats.

I laughed about the options because the greatest was "more than twice a year" :) I have them very frequently, it used to be nearly constant, I know it's less now, most or all days still. I have an annoying sore throat now. IMO many of my sore throats are from allergies to pollens, dust, chemicals, other airborne. Many are from allergies to food. Those are different to the sore throats that come with swollen lymph, mild fever. I used to get that type 2-4 times a day, now average around once a day.

Merry

I just recalled the worst sore throat I had in the last few years. I volunteered to make telephone calls for an election campaign. I called from home. I found the work stressful, mainly because some people were not happy to hear from me. After a half hour I had a sore throat, and it lasted for four or five days. I don't recall how much time I actually spent on the phone over the course of a weekend, but probably not more than two or three hours. On Monday I quit the campaign and have not volunteered since.

roxie60

usually atribute to my nearly constant allergies and frequent sinus infections. Althought accasionally I get a sore throat just on the left side and it comes on fast aqnd may oly last an hr or up to 24 hrs. Weird but just about all symps I get seem weird.

nanonug

I am curious how many people with ME/CFS have sore throat often (more than once or twice a year)?

You forgot one option: always!

are there any theories what causes our sore throat?

In my case, it's due to constant post nasal drip. In turn, post nasal drip is due to elevated levels of plasma histamine. Finally, elevated levels of plasma histamine, in my case, are due to overgrowth of Morganella morganii in my gut. This is something that I am trying to currently address with antibiotics.

hixxy

You forgot one option: always!

In my case, it's due to constant post nasal drip. In turn, post nasal drip is due to elevated levels of plasma histamine. Finally, elevated levels of plasma histamine, in my case, are due to overgrowth of Morganella morganii in my gut. This is something that I am trying to currently address with antibiotics.

Interesting. Did that come up on your GI Effects test?

nanonug

Interesting. Did that come up on your GI Effects test?

Yes, see attached: morganella-morganii.jpg

ukxmrv

Almost constantly unless i am taking Immunovir, Valtrex or similar. My initial illness had a throat severely swollen and closed up. Tonsils etc inflamed.

*GG*

Also, are there any theories what causes our sore throat? I have it often but all the explanations I've read of ME/CFS don't seem to explain the sore throat.

Can you add all the time or something to that effect?

GG

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi,
Yes I'm another one who has sore throat all the time.
It is mild if I remember to be taciturn, but if I talk more than about half an hour, or if I raise my voice, then it is very bad and I lose my voice for several days.
But this is a new symptom that came on 3 years ago. Before that I had CFS for 25 years and hardly ever got a sore throat.

SOC

I laughed about the options because the greatest was "more than twice a year" :) I have them very frequently, it used to be nearly constant, I know it's less now, most or all days still. I have an annoying sore throat now. IMO many of my sore throats are from allergies to pollens, dust, chemicals, other airborne. Many are from allergies to food. Those are different to the sore throats that come with swollen lymph, mild fever. I used to get that type 2-4 times a day, now average around once a day.

Me, too. :) I probably had 10-20 (in other words, almost continuously) sore throats a year most of my adult life. I gave up complaining because the doctors never thought it was important. After 2 years of Valcyte, I only have a sore throat if I PEM myself, even slightly. That's still more than twice a year. :D

Marlène

I had sore throats a few years after the onset of ME, it lasted three years almost daily together with swollen lymph nodes and then they disappeared.