• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do NAC and Glutathione precursors INCREASE methylation?

I am curious if anyone has any data they can point to that suggests NAC and Glutathione precursors increase methylation. I am particularly interested in NAC, as I supplemented very briefly and seemed to develop symptoms of over-methylation. Any help is much appreciated.

Pyrrhus

There are at least two ways that glutathione can interact with methylation capacity:

1) Glutathione appears to be required in order to import B12 into the cell, so cells that are low in glutathione may have a hard time utilizing B12. Boosting glutathione in these cells should increase the cell's methylation capacity.
2) Furthermore, a reduced methylation capacity theoretically slows the production of glutathione, so a reduced methylation capacity may worsen low glutathione levels. So cells with a low methylation capacity could develop low glutathione levels.

It is very common to have strong, unpleasant start-up effects when boosting methylation capacity or when taking NAC. Rest assured that these may just be temporary start-up effects, not "overmethylation". Indeed, I can not find any scientific concept of "overmethylation". From what I can tell, people might have invented the term "overmethylation" to describe the strong, unpleasant start-up effects.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: