• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do animals other than humans get CFS/ME?

Revel

It has certainly been diagnosed in dogs and horses.

Years ago, my (much missed) old pony contracted CFS following a virus. Despite making some degree of recovery by the 18 month mark, she was never the same.

The vet diagnosed CFS. He did not, however, suggest that we treat her with CBT/GET, hypnotherapy or antidepressants that my GP was trying to throw my way . . . I should have made an appointment with the vet instead. :meh:

Revel

! I am curious now how CFS animals are treated

In the pony's case, she was too fatigued to gain all her calories from walking around the pasture to graze, so we had to supplement her with nutrient dense feed and supportive equine supplements. She needed as stress-free an environment as possible and any changes to her daily routine were made slowly so as not to overwhelm her senses. She would even notice if a tractor was parked in a different location in the farmyard and start to become agitated (prior to the onset of CFS, vehicles of any description had not been an issue, from cars to combine harvesters). Plus, rest, rest and more rest, asking as little of her as possible.

Doctors could learn so much from vets.

Viala

In the pony's case, she was too fatigued to gain all her calories from walking around the pasture to graze, so we had to supplement her with nutrient dense feed and supportive equine supplements. She needed as stress-free an environment as possible and any changes to her daily routine were made slowly so as not to overwhelm her senses. She would even notice if a tractor was parked in a different location in the farmyard and start to become agitated (prior to the onset of CFS, vehicles of any description had not been an issue, from cars to combine harvesters). Plus, rest, rest and more rest, asking as little of her as possible.

It is so sad :( poor pony, not knowing what is wrong and why. Do you know what virus was that and where she caught it?

Doctors could learn so much from vets.

I think this is very true. From what I've researched, similar ailments to those we have are differently treated in animals, with minerals and vitamins for example.

Rufous McKinney

Animals do exhibit sickness behavior- holing up, to recover from an injury.

My dog got bitten by a rattle snake and we barely were able to save him. He survived, but really never truely recovered, and it wiped him out. He had no energy , and had lymphatic issues afterwards. We tried to get him help but there was't much the vets could do. So he lasted about six months.

lenora

Domestic pets can yes,with wild animals I don t know.
Which other humans do you mean ?I think everyone can get ME under certain circumstances,but there are found less numbers of neurological illnesses like ME,Parkinson,MS etc in certain countries or tribes.

The history of ME/CFS
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/History_of_myalgic_encephalomyelitis_and_chronic_fatigue_syndrome

Thanks, Irat, that was most interesting. I knew about many of the outbreaks but not all of them. This seems to come and go as the winds blow, doesn't it. One of the reasons it's so hard to track down an actual case, if indeed there is just one causes (which I personally doubt). But my input doesn't matter, it's the input of researchers and scientists, isn't it? The symptoms are so diverse....no wonder an ordinary doctor can't put it together, but as I've remarked on before, he can be kind and understanding of those who suffer what was delivered to our doorstep(s). Yours, Lenora.

Sophiedw

Thanks, Irat, that was most interesting. I knew about many of the outbreaks but not all of them. This seems to come and go as the winds blow, doesn't it. One of the reasons it's so hard to track down an actual case, if indeed there is just one causes (which I personally doubt). But my input doesn't matter, it's the input of researchers and scientists, isn't it? The symptoms are so diverse....no wonder an ordinary doctor can't put it together, but as I've remarked on before, he can be kind and understanding of those who suffer what was delivered to our doorstep(s). Yours, Lenora.

I agree, thank you @Irat this is extremely interesting. This passage “ Epidemic cases of benign myalgic encephalomyelitis were called mass hysteria by psychiatrists McEvedy and Beard in 1970,[15] provoking criticism in letters to the editor of the British Medical Journal by outbreak researchers, attending physicians, and physicians who fell ill.” sounds all too familiar. Good old Britain ahead of the curve as always on dismissing ME and related illnesses.

I shall continue reading!

Sophiedw

Sorry about your poor pony @Revel, at least she was not dismissed by the vets, as you say, and had some dignity in her illness. And sorry about your dog @Rufous McKinney always heart breaking to lose a pet. But I agree the sickness behaviour is not dissimilar, especially in the case of the pony.

Sophiedw

It is so sad :( poor pony, not knowing what is wrong and why. Do you know what virus was that and where she caught it?

I think this is very true. From what I've researched, similar ailments to those we have are differently treated in animals, with minerals and vitamins for example.

Big pharma seems to have not got its claws into the veterinary industry 😐