• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestive enzymes: Could they be changing my B-12 absorption?

Victronix

I have a recent issue where I'm wondering if digestive enzymes could be changing my B-12 absorption or interfering with it.

I was diagnosed with a B-12 deficiency over a decade ago, with extremely low levels after a round of antibiotics for pneumonia, and have always had digestive issues.

I've been taking Enzymatic Therapy's B-12 infusion for several years now, and just in the past couple of months I've gotten pretty bad (surprising) numbness in my hands and feet, so have increased the B-12 dosage by 500 (I take 7000 per day). So far, the 500 helped nicely - initially - but now it is going back to numbness again, so I will probably need to go up to 1000 more to address it.

But I haven't needed to change the dosage in years, so this is disconcerting.

The only thing has changed is that I started taking a digestive enzyme with ox bile, Thorne Bio-gest (https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/bio-gest-reg-60-s) which has: Hydrochloride, Bile Salts, Glutamic Acid, Pancreatin and Pepsin.

So I'm wondering if there was some type of reaction that might be happening that is changing my absorption, or interfering with the B-12 somehow.

I've never tried to consistently take digestive enzymes before, but I got a gall bladder infection this Spring and my doctor recommended taking them. I also take estrogen, which is why she recommended one with bile salts, since taking estrogen can tax the gall bladder over time.

Any thoughts?