• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diflucan and Itraconazol Protocol/Log

MAF14

My MD would only agree to give me 4 days worth of Nystatin but now I have some generic Diflucan, Itraconzole and some OTC antifungals on the way.

Supps:
6x 150mg Kandizol (generic Diflucan)
15x 100mg Itracanozole
50x 400mg Berberine
60x 150mg Oregano Oil Extract
200g Grapefruit Seed Extract 10:1
Then some Betaine hcl, AC Vinegar and some other stuff I can't think of right now...

My plan
Day 1-6
1x 150mg Kandizol ED
3x 400mg Berberine spread throughout day
3x 150mg Oregano Oil Extract spread throughout day
3x 2.8g Grapefruit Seed Extract spread throughout day

Day 7-20
2x 100mg Itracanozole ED
3x 400mg Berberine spread throughout day
3x 150mg Oregano Oil Extract spread throughout day
3x 2.8g Grapefruit Seed Extract spread throughout day

I also have about 50x NOW Foods Probiotic-10 25 Billion probiotics which I just started making milk kefir with and will be making almond kefir/almond greek yogurt with after I finish the 16oz of kefir currently fermenting on my bedroom heating duct :)

I'll also throw in whatever leftover Nystatin I have left to begin, until I run out, and take sips of AC vinegar when ever I take the antifungals.

I'm open to - and would appreciate - any suggestions and will try to update daily as I will be picking up the Kandizol and Itraconozole tomorrow.

MAF14

On day 2 taking the fluconazole...

-No herx reactions
-Nothing positive or negative to note really
-I have changed the 3x daily Berbeine, Oregano and GSE to just once big dose in the morning with the Fluconazole due to them mostly being for biofilm treatment and its just easier with the Oregano

I did notice I'm a bit hotter the last two nights but that could be totally unrelated.

MAF14

Day 3 on Flucanozole

-This morning I woke up much more easily and much earlier than normal with no alarm going off
-I usually want to get coffee multiple times a day but I've only had 1 12oz cup while at work (have a 12oz cup with breakfast every morning)
-I've noticed a bit more gas too
-No bad herx reactions either
-Tongue still has oral thrush with not much improvement
-I think I have a bit more energy today - I usually feel fairly fatigued

Who knows this could all be placebo but I guess we shall see!

actup

Hi @MAF14! One of the things I love about this wonderful forum is the generous sharing of personal treatment protocols including negative responses. This has given me some shortcuts to finding helpful treatments. Look up everything you can find on site re: your issues to avoid re-inventing the wheel when possible.

Fwiw, I used fluconazole 1-2 times per month (200 mg twice per day orally for two days) for thrush w flu symptoms.
Six years ago I needed it for three months continous. One missed dose and I felt very ill w thrush, sore throat, nausea and headache at the time. I was concerned about my long term use oral anti fungals so seven months ago I started on Miyarisan (a Japanese probiotic available on Amazon) or clostridium butyrate. Have not used the fluconazole since.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/clostridium-butyricum-a-game-changer.37324/

In addition I started an oral probiotic ( now brand) which has hugely decreased mouth sores and other oropharyngeal problems incl. sinus, gum, tongue, throat tenderness. Here's a great thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/oral-probiotics-to-clear-your-head.42606/

Would never have found these protocols on my own.

Thinktank

I just finished a 2-weeks round of diflucan. It didn't notice any improvement so i'm going to try itraconazole and the product by thorne labs next.
An extensive yeast culture by genova shows i have an overgrowth of multiple candida strains, albicans is not really the problem so perhaps that's why i didn't notice anything from diflucan. It's C. glabrata which has overgrown the most and unfortunately it's more pathogenic than albicans and resistant to diflucan.

MAF14

Hi @MAF14! One of the things I love about this wonderful forum is the generous sharing of personal treatment protocols including negative responses. This has given me some shortcuts to finding helpful treatments. Look up everything you can find on site re: your issues to avoid re-inventing the wheel when possible.

Fwiw, I used fluconazole 1-2 times per month (200 mg twice per day orally for two days) for thrush w flu symptoms.
Six years ago I needed it for three months continous. One missed dose and I felt very ill w thrush, sore throat, nausea and headache at the time. I was concerned about my long term use oral anti fungals so seven months ago I started on Miyarisan (a Japanese probiotic available on Amazon) or clostridium butyrate. Have not used the fluconazole since.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/clostridium-butyricum-a-game-changer.37324/

In addition I started an oral probiotic ( now brand) which has hugely decreased mouth sores and other oropharyngeal problems incl. sinus, gum, tongue, throat tenderness. Here's a great thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/oral-probiotics-to-clear-your-head.42606/

Would never have found these protocols on my own.

Thank you for the links, I will definitely give them a more thorough read when I have more time!

I've done a bit of reading and don't mean to sound like I'm reinventing the wheel if I come off like that. I've come across quite a few protocols here and elsewhere. I'd really just like to kill off as much of it as I can, as soon as I can then hopefully keep it in check with more healthy gut flora... That's why I'm doing the consistent, heavy flucanozole dosing and then continuing with Itracanozole.

I have oral thrush but I don't have any other oral symptoms like you mentioned (lucky I guess?). But hey, the NOW brand oral probiotic is only 12 bucks on amazon so I may grab them both and give them a shot.

MAF14

I was concerned about my long term use oral anti fungals so seven months ago I started on Miyarisan (a Japanese probiotic available on Amazon) or clostridium butyrate. Have not used the fluconazole since.
QUOTE]

Ordered the Miyarisan :)

What dose has worked for you?

actup

@MAF14, sorry no accusations re: re-inventing the wheel. I'm afraid I spent too much time doing exactly that.

Miyarisan dosage is 6 tiny tabs(pleasant taste) three times per day initially ( first couple of months). I then cut back to 5 tabs three times per day. Taking all three doses is key. I had lots of stomach rumbling for 1st week or so and then the best behaved gut I've had for past 15 years.

https://www.amazon.com/630-Tablets-...qid=1479329811&sr=1-1&keywords=miyarisan&th=1

The now brand oral probiotic indicates two times per day dosing but I use only once per day with good results. Both probiotics so cheap compared w others. I believe the Miyarisan displaces the candida in the gut. Overall I am more stable than before regimen ( except for OI). Only occas. flu syndrome now.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Or...qid=1479329706&sr=1-1&keywords=now+oralbiotic

MAF14

I just finished a 2-weeks round of diflucan. It didn't notice any improvement so i'm going to try itraconazole and the product by thorne labs next.
An extensive yeast culture by genova shows i have an overgrowth of multiple candida strains, albicans is not really the problem so perhaps that's why i didn't notice anything from diflucan. It's C. glabrata which has overgrown the most and unfortunately it's more pathogenic than albicans and resistant to diflucan.

That unfortunate... I hate seeing people waste money like Ive done so much of.

What dose of Diflucan were you taking and how often?

What dose of Itracanozole are you planning on trying and how often?

My last day of generic diflucan is tomorrow then I'll be starting the Itracanozole at 300mg the first day then following up with 200mg ED until I run out - I believe 200mg was a pretty common dose in a few positive studies I saw.

MAF14

@MAF14, sorry no accusations re: re-inventing the wheel. I'm afraid I spent too much time doing exactly that.

Miyarisan dosage is 6 tiny tabs(pleasant taste) three times per day initially ( first couple of months). I then cut back to 5 tabs three times per day. Taking all three doses is key. I had lots of stomach rumbling for 1st week or so and then the best behaved gut I've had for past 15 years.

https://www.amazon.com/630-Tablets-...qid=1479329811&sr=1-1&keywords=miyarisan&th=1

The now brand oral probiotic indicates two times per day dosing but I use only once per day with good results. Both probiotics so cheap compared w others. I believe the Miyarisan displaces the candida in the gut. Overall I am more stable than before regimen ( except for OI). Only occas. flu syndrome now.

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Oralbiotic-Blis-60-Count/dp/B003P7YVTQ/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479329706&sr=1-1&keywords=now oralbiotic

Hah! No, no I take no offense. A woman just yesterday told me to get off my high horse all the time so I'm just being self conscious of my character as of late.

Anyway, that's the exact Miyarisan I ordered (normal delivery was up to a month so I paid almost double the price of the price of the product for expedited shipping - I'm at odds with myself over that).

May I ask why you say "taking all three doses is key'?

I ordered that NOW Foods Blis-K12 also. Should be coming tomorrow so I'll be starting that asap

Thanks for all the recommendations!

actup

Hi @MAF14, I can skip a 2 or 3 doses per week but do notice a slight increase in ibs-d symptoms if any more than those few missed. Experiment and read the related threads but I'd suggest you try the full dose regimen for at least a 4-6 wks before before cutting back -fwiw. Hope it helps you as well.

Thinktank

That unfortunate... I hate seeing people waste money like Ive done so much of.

What dose of Diflucan were you taking and how often?

What dose of Itracanozole are you planning on trying and how often?

My last day of generic diflucan is tomorrow then I'll be starting the Itracanozole at 300mg the first day then following up with 200mg ED until I run out - I believe 200mg was a pretty common dose in a few positive studies I saw.

150mg diflucan daily.
I'm not sure yet about the dose of itraconazole that i want to take.

MAF14

Hi @MAF14, I can skip a 2 or 3 doses per week but do notice a slight increase in ibs-d symptoms if any more than those few missed. Experiment and read the related threads but I'd suggest you try the full dose regimen for at least a 4-6 wks before before cutting back -fwiw. Hope it helps you as well.

I see, I don't really have many stomach issues like IDS, gas, bloating etc... Mostly just fatigue, brain fog, oral thrush.

I've been a bit busy lately only making my way through 13 pages of the CB thread but hoping I can finish it this weekend. Thanks again

MAF14

Today is Day 3 on 200mg Itracanozole

The biggest thing I've noticed since starting the Diflucan has been being able to wake up MUCH more easily in the mornings. Also, I seem to tolerate alcohol better the following mornings.

Can't say I've noticed much difference since starting the Itracanazole.

I still have a fairly thick coating of oral thrush.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@MAF14 - You might try virgin coconut oil. It has caprylic and lauric acid and is a potent antifungal. I used it 12 years ago or so for candida and had a very strong herx reaction to it. You're supposed to work up to 2 tablespoons a day, but I found very quickly that I had to go slow with it, maybe a teaspoon or 2 at first. It worked great for me and no bad side effects (apart from the herx)

MAF14

@MAF14 - You might try virgin coconut oil. It has caprylic and lauric acid and is a potent antifungal. I used it 12 years ago or so for candida and had a very strong herx reaction to it. You're supposed to work up to 2 tablespoons a day, but I found very quickly that I had to go slow with it, maybe a teaspoon or 2 at first. It worked great for me and no bad side effects (apart from the herx)

Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I already eat a few TBSP's a day in my cooking. Never had much of an antifungal effect for me...

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I already eat a few TBSP's a day in my cooking. Never had much of an antifungal effect for me...

That's too bad -- it affected me so strongly so quickly, I was sure it would do the same for everyone else. :confused:

I wonder if you took the coconut oil by itself, if it might work better - maybe worth a little experiment? It melts in your mouth as I'm sure you know.

MAF14

That's too bad -- it affected me so strongly so quickly, I was sure it would do the same for everyone else. :confused:

I wonder if you took the coconut oil by itself, if it might work better - maybe worth a little experiment? It melts in your mouth as I'm sure you know.

Yup, I've had a TBSP or two for "breakfast" with coffee on an empty stomach... No luck.

I've even tried taking high dose monolaurin and that didn't seem to help either. After a dozen different OTC antifungals having no noticeable improvements, that's why I've gone the Rx route *fingers crossed*

MAF14

Since starting the Itracanazole, I've noticed a bit more gas... Really all I can say is different while diet has been 95% the same.

I also added in clostridium butyrate yesterday which maybe also contributing to the gas.