• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detox headaches from folate!

Peyt

Hello,
The NutraVal test showed my folate to be the lowest among all my vitamins. (the rest were okay)
I also suffer from a fatty liver, so my doctor recommended taking folate in the form of l-methylfolate.
But I get real bad headaches as soon as I start taking l-methylfolate or even
green powder which is suppose to be high in folate,
I have even opened the capsule of l-methylfolate up and only took a small portion, and I still
get headaches the next day!
Do you have any tips for me besides drinking lots of water and heating pad?
Thanks
Peyt

Rufous McKinney

Do you have any tips for me

Hi, I"m here rather wondering about how detox is going and I can see your having issues. I am sorry your having a hard time. My body needs to detox and isn't. Yet I don't know how to endure the worsening of the symptoms that happen to me anytime I make a half/attempt to go after this issue directly.

I have occassionally used proteolytic enzymes which can be helpful in detox. But OH BOY. I just feel so awful I literally: just stop immediately the next day after. Can taste the metal in my mouth. And the headaches are awful.

I"m personally stumped on this. Am I just not brave enough? How long have you been at it, Peyt?

helen1

@Peyt
Most people start with far too high a dose. Folate supplements come in dosages of 500 mcg up to 5 mg depending on the brand, which is waaaay too high for anyone starting out. Most of us need to start with a microscopic dose eg just a crumb of a pill or capsule so maybe 50 mcg or even less depending on your sensitivity.

Peyt

@Peyt
Most people start with far too high a dose. Folate supplements come in dosages of 500 mcg up to 5 mg depending on the brand, which is waaaay too high for anyone starting out. Most of us need to start with a microscopic dose eg just a crumb of a pill or capsule so maybe 50 mcg or even less depending on your sensitivity.

The supplement I have is 400 mcg and I started with 1/4 of a capsule which is about 100 mcg and had to stop due to headaches...
I am now considering doing a mild blood purifier (such as red clover tea) for a couple of week (providing I don't get headaches from that) and then try folate again.. I also noticed making sure my bowels move quick is very important. I started drinking some ginger tea along with Tart Cherry juice to help that. It's almost like the toxins get dumped in the digestion track at mega doses.

Learner1

Things you could try:
  • Adding in high dose of a high bioavailable curcumin if you have headache and intestinal symptoms - it's a broad spectrum Phase II detoxer that has eased my symptoms on several occasions.
  • Stimulating the gall bladder with bitters to make more bile.
  • Adding a binder to bind the metal coming out of you so it goes out instead of being reabsorbed.
  • Making sure you have enough B1 and molybdenum to support the transsulfuration pathway.
  • Making sure you have enough glycine, glutamine, NAC, selenium, and B6 to make glutathione and adequate vitamin C to recycle it.
  • Making sure you have enough B6, B2, MB12, TMG, magnesium and vitamin C. As you add folate, you may increase need for the other methylation nutrients. It's best to work backwards, starting at the supporting transsulfuration, then glutathione production, then the methionine cycle, AND THEN add folate.