• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dermatographia anyone?

vision blue

Anyone have dermatographia? It can go with mast cell issues but doesnt have to. (For those who dont know, its sometimes referred to as skin writing. Its when even light scratching of skin leads to a local wheal and flare reaction. So if you write a word on your skin for example, 5 min later the word will be visible as a red/pink raised rash. Can be itchy too. So scratching can set up a vicious cycle)

nerd

In a mild form, I have this occasionally. CFS/ME includes connective tissue pathology just as SLE does. I think this is just a manifestation of this.

Older post, but I just saw it and want to weigh in. I do have the dermatographia and developed it after the presumed gut infection that started the whole illness that is allegedly Fibromyalgia and CFS. I have a lot of food issues and these affect the dermatographia and also mast cell activation. Interestingly vision blue mentioned connective tissue pathology. My son was just diagnosed with Hypermobility Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Mast Cell Activation Disorder. I am not hypermobile, but his symptoms overlap with mine.