• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dental anaesthetics

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. Can anyone tell me which local anaesthetic is the best one for people with ME. I've heard that those with adrenaline are particulary to be avoided.
I am getting prepared to have my mercury fillings out, my dentist uses Octapresin (Cytanest), but I already inject a few times a week magnesium with .5ml lidocaine and am okay with that. I asked the receptionist if he uses this but she said he didn't. I am prepared to ask him to use a specific one if necessary, I have a lot of treatment to have and don't want to jeopardize my chances.

Yes, avoid the usual epinephrine one. I told the dentist I didn't want that type, and I believe dentists usually just have 1 other type? Mine just assumed which alternative one to use and didn't give a choice.

LaurelW

You can ask them to use carbocaine as it doesn't have the epinephrine, but it doesn't last near as long, so you have to make sure they give you enough. I have trouble with the epinephrine too, it gives me the shakes and makes me exhausted. It's stressful enough just having the work done. The reason they use the epi is that it makes the blood vessels contract and the anesthetic lasts longer as a result. More for their convenience as they run from room to room.

ballard

I had to be taken to the hospital emergency room after a shot of an anesthetic that contained adrenaline. While there were not any long lasting ill-effects, the dentist and I were both pretty shaken up. She uses carbocaine for me now, and that seems to work well.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Ballard - thanks for that - it was my one fear so I will now definitely ask for an adrenaline free one, don't know if carbocaine is available in the UK though.

bakercape

I dread

the dentist. The pain is nothing but the after affects are horrible. I usually relapse the same way as after I exercise aerobically but worse. I don't know if it's the stress or the pain meds they shoot me up with. Good luck.