• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cumin (Cuminum cyminum): Possible PEM Blocker

GlassCannonLife

No, my experience is quite different from Wishful's. But cumin really is the only thing that keeps me going through the rough times.

Ah ok, but so you just take it as often as needed and don't worry about side effects or anything else like that?

GlassCannonLife

There have never been any side effects and I've taken huge amounts of it by this stage. It hasn't lost its efficacy and it hasn't introduced new problems. Literally the only down side is its short half life.

Just looking at the extract you shared - it's 5 mL and says 1-2 drops are a 1/4 tsp equivalent - how much do you use and how much do you get out of one vial? Thanks

seamyb

Just looking at the extract you shared - it's 5 mL and says 1-2 drops are a 1/4 tsp equivalent - how much do you use and how much do you get out of one vial? Thanks

So that vial lasted me 2 or 3 weeks. But when I ran out I got the 100ml bottle, which doesn't have a dropper or anything, and topped the other bottle up. The 100ml costs like 4 times more for 20 times more extract. Pretty cost effective.

GlassCannonLife

So that vial lasted me 2 or 3 weeks. But when I ran out I got the 100ml bottle, which doesn't have a dropper or anything, and topped the other bottle up. The 100ml costs like 4 times more for 20 times more extract. Pretty cost effective.

Yeah cool sounds good.

Do you recall how much you'd be using it in the 2-3 weeks.? Like multiple times a day.? How many drops per dose do you take?

Sorry to be a pain just trying to figure out how much it's worth it vs the powder

seamyb

Yeah cool sounds good.

Do you recall how much you'd be using it in the 2-3 weeks.? Like multiple times a day.? How many drops per dose do you take?

Sorry to be a pain just trying to figure out how much it's worth it vs the powder

I currently go through reactions to things I'm trying - binders, antifungals etc. When I have a bad reaction I can be using it 6 or 7 times a day. Usually only 1 drop does the job. Sometimes I feel so bad I'll take 2 drops at once. I can't be sure there's any greater effect. Although I think I notice it kicking in faster when I've eaten recently. I suspect it's absorbed in the stomach and that higher acidity breaks the capsule down and absorbs it faster.

So in that 2-3 weeks I would have been using it 6 or 7 times on some days and maybe once or twice on others. I usually have one in the morning just in case I start to feel bad, and if I don't feel it wearing off (as in I'm not all that sick that day) I'll not take any more.

I would say it's definitely worth it over the powder. Just my opinion. It's a lot easier to put a drop into a capsule than make a few capsules each time of the powder. Plus, I've hardly made a dent in the bigger bottle I have now, so it's at least as cost effective as the powder, possibly more.

GlassCannonLife

I currently go through reactions to things I'm trying - binders, antifungals etc. When I have a bad reaction I can be using it 6 or 7 times a day. Usually only 1 drop does the job. Sometimes I feel so bad I'll take 2 drops at once. I can't be sure there's any greater effect. Although I think I notice it kicking in faster when I've eaten recently. I suspect it's absorbed in the stomach and that higher acidity breaks the capsule down and absorbs it faster.

So in that 2-3 weeks I would have been using it 6 or 7 times on some days and maybe once or twice on others. I usually have one in the morning just in case I start to feel bad, and if I don't feel it wearing off (as in I'm not all that sick that day) I'll not take any more.

I would say it's definitely worth it over the powder. Just my opinion. It's a lot easier to put a drop into a capsule than make a few capsules each time of the powder. Plus, I've hardly made a dent in the bigger bottle I have now, so it's at least as cost effective as the powder, possibly more.

Great, thanks. Do you have to put it into capsules? Does it burn if you just drop it in your mouth by itself or something?

Rufous McKinney

I just didn't fancy the taste of cumin all day.

this is partly how I"ve never quite launched the cumin experiment.

I got grossed out by cumin smell once, and when certain smells get into my nostrils something happens in my brain.

I could not get the cumin smell to go away and I now cannot stand it. This is, I think, a neurological challenge in my case.

hmnr asg

my apologies if this question has been asked, but, is black cumin seed different from the cumin that is being discussed in this thread? I tried to eat cumin but it was painful!
I found this supplement and it seems to be different from regular cumin (it says black cumin seed oil):
https://smile.amazon.com/Supplements-Black-Cardiovascular-Support-Softgels/dp/B07ZL3V1DN/
It seems the source of this is "Nigella sativa" , rather than Cuminum cyminum.

I couldn't find any extracts or pills for Cuminum cyminum on amazon except for this, which seems a bit sketchy:
https://smile.amazon.com/Extract-Organic-Cuminum-Tincture-Supplement/dp/B00NCZSQF6/

EDIT: It seems they are different plants. My apologies.

Rufous McKinney

I have some black seed oil...here in a capsule and the oil I've been using it topically in an experiment.

It does't smell much, or taste like much....its not at all like cumin the Mexican spice.

GlassCannonLife

I have some black seed oil...here in a capsule and the oil I've been using it topically in an experiment.

It does't smell much, or taste like much....its not at all like cumin the Mexican spice.

Ah interesting, mine (black seed oil) tastes very peppery.

By the way, regarding taste, I find the cumin powder very easy to take. When I swill a bit in some water and shot it and chase with water I hardly notice the flavour at all. It is less intense than if I ate say a half teaspoon of Mexican sauce that has cumin in it. It might not be the case for you if you have flavour/smell sensitivities though, just thought I'd share in case it was helpful.

Wishful

I haven't really tried it straight into the mouth but I've had capsules where I've missed and put it all over the outside and it's never been a problem.

My experience is that it was successful if I held the cumin in my mouth for a while and then spit it out, so I believe its effect on me was neurological, and sublingual absorption was very effective. When I took LDN, I could reduce the dosage by ~1/3 by taking it sublingually, so I sometimes did that with cumin too. Of course, this doesn't mean that for people who are helped by cumin that it is by the same mechanism that worked for me.

It's sad that many people hate the taste of it. I don't love it, but I tolerate it.

I haven't tried black cumin, which AFAIK doesn't have any cuminaldehyde, which I'm pretty sure is what treated my PEM.

hmnr asg

I washed some cumin down yesterday with some OJ and I have to be honest, today i feel better than I have in weeks. But it could be just a fluke. I will keep trying to see what happens and report back.

It is however so nasty that there is a part of me that thinks this is a prank by @Wishful on us :smirk:

GlassCannonLife

I washed some cumin down yesterday with some OJ and I have to be honest, today i feel better than I have in weeks. But it could be just a fluke. I will keep trying to see what happens and report back.

It is however so nasty that there is a part of me that thinks this is a prank by @Wishful on us :smirk:

Haha I feel like pairing it with OJ must have made it less palatable