• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid Vaccine be a culprit?

Hi everyone,

First off,

I want to thank you for the replies to my last post, and I apologize for not responding sooner.

I am not diagnosed with CFS. Anyway, the sleep test came back normal and the sleep doctor I was seeing didn't want to test for me Narcolepsy or any other sleep disorder. My stepmom agreed with him. Thought about seeing an endocrinologist next to see about genetics but I don't see a point, as I may never find out what's wrong, and do I really want to waste my life (and money) chasing something that may never be solved? And even if they did find out what's wrong, there's most likely noting that can be done other than what I am already doing. People here have given me wise advice.

And....I am beginning to feel better. Like...before I did before this whole two years of suck began. And I don't know why. But I 'll take it. But I still try to implement pacing.

My Mom brought up if the COVID vaccines were the thing that were making me so exhausted. And I thought she might be right. I've had the two that came out. I have lung disease-damaged alveoli from very premature birth- so getting COVID could potentially be very bad for me. Like hospital bad. We want to protect the lung tissue I have left.

I am getting the RSV vaccine too

I am considering getting the third COVID vaccine as it's recommended for people with lung diseases. But I don't ever want to be back where I was two years ago. That felt like hell.

pattismith

I got a bad reaction to flu vaccine, with sleepiness.

You need to know that people with a rheumatic disease can worsen after a vaccine, so you have to look for that.
sleepiness is part of the depression features, and lot's of rheumatic diseases are comorbid with depression.
Also rheumatic diseases often come with digestive inflammation and lower levels of minerals and vitamins.

Low iron in itself can induce sleepiness and depression and pain.
this is another thing to check

I am not depressed. More like what I was going through was making me depressed. Iron was checked in the blood test and it came back normal. I don’t think I meet the criteria for rheumatic diseases. But thank you! That is interesting!

Sometimes it manifested as sleepiness. Other times it was sheer exhaustion.

I got a separate blood test just to check iron levels. Nothing abnormal showed up. If it was a Ferritin thing I don’t know how it would show up on results.

SWAlexander

Why iron/ferritin blood test is important:
A short summary:
Methemoglobinemia has been linked to a wide array of substances:

Drug-Induced (Acquired) Methemoglobinemia

Oxygen is unable to bind to iron in the ferric (Fe3+) state, which can lead to tissue hypoxia. A condition in which a higher-than-normal amount of methemoglobin is found in the blood.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537317/
Methemoglobin is a form of hemoglobin that cannot carry oxygen. In methemoglobinemia, tissues cannot get enough oxygen.

Methemoglobinemia occurs when red blood cells (RBCs) contain methemoglobin at levels higher than 1%. Methemoglobin results from the presence of iron in the oxidized ferric form (Fe3+) instead of the usual reduced ferrous form (Fe2+). This results in a decreased availability of oxygen to the tissues.

Common drugs known to induce methemoglobinemia include Antimalarials: primaquine, and chloroquine.

SWAlexander

Why iron/ferritin blood test is important:
That's why:

Reduced HDL-cholesterol in long COVID-19: A key metabolic risk factor tied to disease severity​

Highlights

• Low HDL-C and high ferritin are linked to increased Long-COVID-19 severity.

• Changes in HDL-C levels, significantly impact Long-COVID-19 progression.

• Ferritin may exacerbate disease progression by increasing oxidative stress.

• HDL-C and ferritin levels may serve as markers and therapeutic targets for Long-COVID-19.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1807593224000218?via=ihub

cfs since 1998

Aside from slight weakness in my limbs and hypersomnia for 24 hours, my ME/CFS returned to baseline after the COVID vaccines. Got two doses of Pfizer in 2021.

SWAlexander

I have never believed that animal fat is more dangerous than multi-step processed oils and their resulting products.
High cholesterol is a genetic predisposition and can be traced back generations.

In a recent post:
Uffe Ravnskov, Danish doctor, medical researcher, never believed cholesterol or saturated fat caused heart disease. Branded a crank, his 1991 book The Cholesterol Myth was ignored, mocked. Too much for angry "Diet Heart" proponents in Finland, his book was set afire on live TV.

The Cholesterol Myths​

• Cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals. There are no such things as good or bad cholesterol, but mental stress, physical activity and change of body weight may influence the level of blood cholesterol. A high cholesterol is in fact beneficial, probably because it partake in our immune system.
  • A high blood cholesterol is said to promote atherosclerosis and thus also coronary heart disease. But many studies have shown that people whose blood cholesterol is low become just as atherosclerotic as people whose cholesterol is high.
  • Your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat. The production of cholesterol increases when you eat little cholesterol and decreases when you eat much. This explains why the ”prudent” diet cannot lower cholesterol more than on average a few percent.
  • There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven’t eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.
  • The only effective way to lower cholesterol is with drugs, but neither heart mortality or total mortality have been improved with drugs the effect of which is cholesterol-lowering only. On the contrary, these drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life.
read more: https://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol/

Tammy

I ran into a friend yesterday that I hadn't seen in awhile. She told me her health has been worse since after she got the covid vaccine and it's been that way for almost 2 yrs.