• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid, I’ve went and got it- 😞

Hi all, how have you who have came down with Covid faired?

I came down with a CFS spectrum disorder in 2016 after a bad virus, I would honestly say I’ve been in a remission since 2017.

I’ve able to work full time and exercise intensely with very minimal 1-2 day PEM that would include brain fog/moodiness, sinus congestion.

I have the type of CFS where I don’t get sick.

I have went and got Covid now and I’m deathly afraid that my dysfunctional immune system will be the death of me or trigger a massive permanent crash.

I have retained taste/smell, no fever. SEVERE body aches, and when I feel I’m getting better the next day I am wrecked. I don’t know what day I’m on maybe 7 maybe 12. I started ignoring those feelings as i thought PEM

currently taking:
Vitamin D 5k/day
NAC 600mg/day going to try 1200 today
Vit C 1500-2000mg/day
Quercetin 800mg/day
Aspirin 81mg/day
Lactoferrin 250mg/day

ljimbo423

currently taking:
Vitamin D 5k/day
Vit C 1500-2000mg/day
Quercetin 800mg/day
Aspirin 81mg/day
Lactoferrin 250mg/day

I don’t know what day I’m on maybe 7 maybe 12. I started ignoring those feelings as i thought PEM

I was already taking a lot of supplements that improved my immune system, when I got covid. I did add in six 410 mg capsules of echinacea a day, which seemed to help. I took 2-3 times a day. I too thought it was PEM for 2-3 days, before I realized it was covid.

Mine was mild, although I still felt miserable, I didn't spend any time in bed. I felt awful for 6 days, but no fever. On day 7, 8 and 9 I felt about 30-40 percent better. On day 10 I woke up and it was gone.

Edit- I forgot to tell you that I haven't had any worsening of my ME/CFS symptoms from the virus. Best of luck with this. I know it can be really scary.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi all, how have you who have came down with Covid faired?

I currently taking:
Vitamin D 5k/day
Vit C 1500-2000mg/day
Quercetin 800mg/day
Aspirin 81mg/day
Lactoferrin 250mg/day
currently taking:
Vitamin D 5k/day
Vit C 1500-2000mg/day
Quercetin 800mg/day
Aspirin 81mg/day
Lactoferrin 250mg/day
So sorry!
Here is another thing to consider: Science News
from research organizations

Researchers use 'big data' approach to identify melatonin as possible COVID-19 treatment

vision blue

How old are you? That seems to be the most important factor for predicting the worst.
How did you get it if you don't mind talking about it and you know.
Hang in there! You'll be ok.

Hip

I have went and got Covid now and I’m deathly afraid that my dysfunctional immune system will be the death of me or trigger a massive permanent crash.

Just to add an optimistic note: I've heard one story of ME/CFS patients going into remission after coronavirus infection. It seems that in the fight to clear coronavirus, the immune system may also clear the viruses causing ME/CFS.

This remission has also been observed with ME/CFS patients who get influenzavirus and RSV — see this post.

junkcrap50

Just to add an optimistic note: I've heard one story of ME/CFS patients going into remission after coronavirus infection. It seems that in the fight to clear coronavirus, the immune system may also clear the viruses causing ME/CFS.
Wow!! Really!?! I never knew that was possible. Where did you hear that? Can you provide a source? I think that would make a good separate post!

junkcrap50

How many days out since you first sign of symptoms? 7-12 from first symptom or diagnosis? Do you still have symptoms?

I heard from some doctors on twitter (non-US doctors) that they continue to treat for and look for the COVID inflammatory response up to 4 weeks after recovery. Some may have continued anti-inflammatories during this time. I think they were still seeing a late inflammatory response or were trying to avoid long-covid. Something to consider or look into.

Hip

Wow!! Really!?! I never knew that was possible. Where did you hear that? Can you provide a source? I think that would make a good separate post!

A person posted this info within Jen Brea's craniocervical instability facebook groups, but asked that nobody should post it in public (although I would prefer to share such info).

But perhaps I can say that that person heard it from a famous ME/CFS doctor.

I was already taking a lot of supplements that improved my immune system, when I got covid. I did add in six 410 mg capsules of echinacea a day, which seemed to help. I took 2-3 times a day. I too thought it was PEM for 2-3 days, before I realized it was covid.

Mine was mild, although I still felt miserable, I didn't spend any time in bed. I felt awful for 6 days, but no fever. On day 7, 8 and 9 I felt about 30-40 percent better. On day 10 I woke up and it was gone.

Edit- I forgot to tell you that I haven't had any worsening of my ME/CFS symptoms from the virus. Best of luck with this. I know it can be really scary.

I was wondering since echinacea is an immune booster might cause a BAD reaction since Covid damages via cytokine storm. I wonder if because maybe our immune systems are compromised we’re immune to that sort of thing lol

JES

From what I have read, having the body respond with cytokines is a good thing early in the infection in order to kill the virus. Later in the infection, it may actually turn out to cause harm as some patients have got rapidly worse from what they think is a cytokine storm, so immune suppression might be more helpful at that point.

Given how lots of patients report temporary improvement from ME/CFS during an acute infection, sometimes even remission, it's not that far-fetched to hypothesize an acute infection could permanently switch one back to healthy state, especially a strong infection like COVID-19. It could also be that another virus like COVID-19 could promote a strong enough immune response that also tackles the chronic infection(s) that could be maintaining ME/CFS, but it may be a bit of a long shot to get rid of such infections.

How many days out since you first sign of symptoms? 7-12 from first symptom or diagnosis? Do you still have symptoms?

I heard from some doctors on twitter (non-US doctors) that they continue to treat for and look for the COVID inflammatory response up to 4 weeks after recovery. Some may have continued anti-inflammatories during this time. I think they were still seeing a late inflammatory response or were trying to avoid long-covid. Something to consider or look into.

I’m honestly not sure, somewhere in that range..I’m hoping I don’t wake up and I’m horribly sick as seems to happen to a lot of folks

From what I have read, having the body respond with cytokines is a good thing early in the infection in order to kill the virus. Later in the infection, it may actually turn out to cause harm as some patients have got rapidly worse from what they think is a cytokine storm, so immune suppression might be more helpful at that point.

Given how lots of patients report temporary improvement from ME/CFS during an acute infection, sometimes even remission, it's not that far-fetched to hypothesize an acute infection could permanently switch one back to healthy state, especially a strong infection like COVID-19. It could also be that another virus like COVID-19 could promote a strong enough immune response that also tackles the chronic infection(s) that could be maintaining ME/CFS, but it may be a bit of a long shot to get rid of such infections.

I honestly don’t know if we can “fix” for me the hope is manageable therapy that restores quality of life, I mean I know I’m very lucky in my suffering, but it still sucks, you forget what normal ever was and are amazed at people who can sit and focus for hours

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I would say to rest religiously.

This is a short thread but some things in it might help:
//forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/flu-season-is-here-post-influenza-pacing-changed-due-to-reduced-energy.62724/#post-1021979

Oh, and drink some green tea but not on an empty stomach.

ljimbo423

I was wondering since echinacea is an immune booster might cause a BAD reaction since Covid damages via cytokine storm. I wonder if because maybe our immune systems are compromised we’re immune to that sort of thing lol

I don't know if we're immune to a cytokine storm. I was concerned about increasing my chances of a cytokine storm too with the echinacea.

But I was more concerned with the virus getting a good strong foot-hold in me and needing to go to the hospital. So I decided the echinacea was worth the risk. In my case, it worked out really well.

Helen

@Fighttolive , sorry to hear about your bad condition.

I couldn´t see zinc among your supplements, maybe it has already been mentioned. Zinc is neeeded to stop the replication of the virus inside the cell. It has also been suggested that zinc deficiency could cause the loss of smell. You will find suggested dosing of zinc on twitter and elsewhere, from doctors using it.

Also selenium has been mentioned as a 'virus killer'. Quercetin might be worth looking up. It opens up for the zinc to enter the cell. A doctor friend cured herself with high doses of vitamin C. She took 60 grams the second day !! and was fine on the fourth. The vitamin C in such a high dose has to be the salt of vitamin C. You will need a toilet close... I hope you will feel much better soon.