• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coverage from IACFS/ME Florida conference, 27-30 Oct 2016

ash0787

I thought of an alternative mechanism to autoimmune ... if the cells that produce antibodies also produce some sort of signal that tells mitochondria to go into a survival state ( this one would be more in fitting with the dauer state theory ), I have no idea whether this reflects how these things function in reality though.

Either way I think we need to be looking at the cells which Rituximab targets and trying to find ways that they could possibly affect the metabolism of the body in general, while at the same time finish the 'big data' study to rule out other possible explanations.

aimossy

Cort's tweets re exercise testing findings from Norwegian group ( compiled) :

"#IACFS/ME #ME/CFS: - Norwegian researchers use 2-day exercise test - inserted arteriol catheter - found lower peak VO2 day 1 or 2 but

# non-significant change in peak V02 from day1to 2; ie. no drop in peak Vo2 from day 1 to 2

# ME/CFS patients had much higher lactate levels BOTH days and lactate accumulates earlier in ME/CFS

# suggests disrupted energy metabolism similar to suggested by Fluge and Mella.lactate change called "left shift in lactate

# "left shift in lactate curve" - lactate accumulation is INCREASED during second test - same found in overtrained athletes

# Lactate accumulation in the healthy controls, by the way, DECREASED on the second exercise test"

aimossy

Cort's tweets re Keller exercise testing findings (compiled):

"#IACFS/ME #ME/CFS: Keller - Subsets in exercise testing during 2-day exercise test - reduced VO2 max found in 4 studies w/about 100 patients

# Keller sees problems with VO2 max, VO2 anaerobic threshold, chronotropic incompetence, ventilation, blood pressure

# Keller - suggests that even patients who can produce VO2 max results are not suitable for graded exercise therapy

# - identical twins, one twin gets ill after flu - was the more physically active twin- was runner and cyclist

# c -reactive protein soars during two day exercise test - but CPET exercise results NORMAL - there's more to exercise

# than CPET study shows, ll twin also shows gut problems after exercise- have to look further to understand exercise issues"

aimossy

@Marky90 Sorry I compiled them up to help my brain.

What's up with the different VO2 max findings between groups I wonder? It could be explainable. I hope these Lactate findings from Norwegians can be repeated.

Edit: Um, I think Ungers group found same as Keller group?

Last edited:

Sidereal

@Marky90 Sorry I compiled them up to help my brain.

What's up with the different VO2 max findings between groups I wonder? I hope these Lactate findings from Norwegians can be repeated.

Edit: Um, I think Ungers group found same as Keller group?

Isn't Unger/CDC only doing a one day CPET?

It's very worrying that the Van Ness / Keller two day CPET VO2 max findings were not confirmed by the Norwegians. Another 'diagnostic marker' bites the dust?

It will be interesting to see what the NIH / Nath study shows re: CPET.

aimossy

@Sidereal you are probably right, might be easier to find that info in the IACFSME programme. I can't look right now though but will later.

ash0787

I don't understand how this disease was ever considered to be psychological when it seems it is easy to find objective physical differences with seemingly a new finding at least once a month on average now.

You dont even need scientific measuring equipment, I used to be able to press 14 buttons per second on a keyboard and mouse in order, but my joints are suddenly now in such bad condition that you can see obvious physical alteration on my toes

Last edited:

Sidereal

Very interesting:

Truncal Ataxia is an Unrecognized Cause of Postural Intolerance in Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Kunihisa Miwa, MD

Objectives. Most patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) have orthostatic intolerance (OI) which is the primary factor restricting the daily functional capacity. OI is characterized by the inability to remain upright without severe signs and symptoms, such as hypotension, palpitation, pallor, fatigue and nausea. Most symptoms of OI have been surmised to be related to reduced cerebral blood flow and the compensatory sympathetic activation. Indeed, many patients have postural orthostatic tachycardia, orthostatic hypotension, neurally mediated hypotension and low cardiac output with a small left ventricle. With further progression of the disease, patients may have even sitting intolerance and finally become bedridden. Static balance is an essential element for the performance of postural stability. The possible role of disequilibrium in the genesis of both orthostatic and sitting intolerance was examined in the patients.

Methods. The study subjects comprising 35 patients with ME (8 men and 27 women, mean age: 36±10 years) underwent both the conventional 10-min standing and sitting tests separately and also neurological examinations including Romberg test.

Results. The patients were divided into 10 with a positive Romberg test (Group P) and 25 with a negative Romberg test (Group N). Postural sway was observed during the standing test in all (100%, p<0.01) of Group P in contrast to 5 (20%) of Group N. None of Group P was able to stand on one-leg or had normal tandem gait. All of Group P complained of symptoms during both the standing and sitting tests in which many of them (40%) were not able to complete the 10-min standing, and some (20%) not even 10-min sitting. In contrast, all Group N patients were able to stand on one-leg and demonstrated smooth tandem gait. All of them were able to complete both tests. As compared with Group N (performance status scores: 3-6), Group P had significantly (p<0.01) higher performance status scores (5-8), suggesting severe restriction of the activities of daily living.

Conclusions: Patients with ME and a positive Romberg test complaints of not only OI but also sitting intolerance. Truncal ataxia or disequilibrium appears to play an important role in the genesis of the postural intolerance and can be considered a useful sign for advanced disease.

Sidereal

Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing Demonstrates Post-Exertional Chronotropic Incompetence

Bettencourt, Haylee1; Davenport, Todd E.2;Stevens, Jared3; Stevens, Staci R.3; Snell, Christopher R.3 and Van Ness, J. Mark1

1. Department of Health, Exercise, and Sport Science, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA, United States.2. Department of Physical Therapy, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA, United States. 3. Workwell Foundation, Ripon, CA, United States.

Background : Chronotropic incompetence (CI) is the inability of the heart to increase its rate commensurate with increased functional demands. CI is common in patients with cardiovascular disease, and associated with exercise intolerance that impairs quality of life. In previous studies we’ve demonstrated that patients with CFS/ME experience post-exertional exercise intolerance.

Objective: This study examined the heart rate response to exercise to determine whether CI is associated with post-exertional exercise intolerance.

Methods: 39 females with CFS/ME and 39 age- and weight-matched control subjects (CON). Subjects performed a graded exercise test to volitional fatigue on a cycle ergometer (Test 1). A subset of 17 subjects with CFS/ME and 18 CON subjects repeated a second exercise test 24 hours later to examine the exercise heart rate response in the post-exertional state (Test 2). Heart rate (HR) was collected continuously throughout the exercise test. Data were analyzed for resting (Rest), at anaerobic threshold (AT), and at peak exercise (Peak). Only subjects that reached criteria for maximal effort were included in the analysis. Repeated measures ANOVA was used to compare HR measurements between groups and tests.

Results : HR in the CON group was not significantly different between Test 1 and 2 at
any exercise intensity (Rest: 88±11 vs 89±19; AT: 126±17 vs 121±12; and Peak: 182±12 vs 180±15; values expressed as mean ± standard deviation). The CFS/ME group responses were not significantly different from CON on Test 1 (rest: 90±15; AT: 120±13; Peak: 170±10). However, the CFS/ME group demonstrated significantly lower Peak heart rate values on Test 2 (Rest: 100±18; AT: 116±10; Peak: 165±10; p<.05) compared to Test 1. HR measurements were not significantly different between groups or exercise tests for any group except the diminished peak value during the second exercise test in subjects with CFS/ME group.

Conclusion : Patients with CFS/ME appear to display post- exertional reductions in the peak HR response to exercise, which could contribute to exercise intolerance and observed reductions in oxygen consumption during post-exertional malaise. The combination of elevation in resting heart rate and reduction in peak exercise heart rate may contribute to the impaired quality of life.

Sidereal

Allergic disorder phenotypes in ME/CFS and patterns of medical comorbidity and clinical dysfunction Susan Levine,1 Joy Ukaigwe,2 Xiaoyu Che,2 W. Ian Lipkin,2,3,4 Mady Hornig2,4

Affiliations: 1Levine Clinic, New York, NY; 2Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY; 3Departments of Neurology and Pathology, College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY; 4Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY

Background: Atopic disorders are more common in ME/CFS and have been associated with autonomic disturbances in some studies. Assessment of clinical characteristics and comorbidity among ME/CFS subjects with allergic diatheses may improve differential diagnosis and treatment selection.

Objective: To determine whether certain allergic disorders are more common in ME/CFS than in controls, and to compare clinical characteristics (severity and pain ratings; medical comorbidities) among ME/CFS subjects with and without certain allergic comorbidities.

Methods: Questionnaire data from the Chronic Fatigue Initiative (CFI) Cohort study (five US sites) were used to compare the frequency of allergic and other somatic conditions in ME/CFS (n=202 meeting Fukuda and/or Canadian criteria) and control subjects (n=202). Machine learning techniques (LASSO, Random Forest) were used to derive phenotypic subsets that differed between ME/CFS and control groups. SF-36 subdomain scores (Wilcoxon rank-sum tests) and prevalence of medical comorbidities (chi-squared tests) were compared between case groups meeting criteria for the two derived ME/CFS phenotypes. Orthostatic pulse changes from physical exams were also compared across phenotypic subsets. Adjustments were made for multiple comparisons.

Results: Machine learning approaches identified chronic sinusitis and hives as the allergic disorders that best discriminated cases from controls. ME/CFS subjects with sinusitis/hives (ME+S/H) had more severe pain (SF-36) and gastrointestinal disturbances, endocrine and inflammatory problems (DSQ) (all padjusted=0.029) than those without these allergic comorbidities. ME+S/H cases also had higher prevalence relative to ME subjects without sinusitis/hives of fibromyalgia (p=0.029); migraine (p <0.0001); tension headaches (p=0.0002), low back pain (p=0.002) and neck pain (p=0.003). Pain ratings were also higher in ME+S/H cases. Orthostatic pulse changes were equally common in ME/CFS with and without sinusitis/hives.

Discussion: A history of sinusitis and hives is predictive of an ME/CFS diagnosis and appears to define a novel phenotypic subset of ME/CFS with distinct patterns of comorbidity and exaggerated pain symptoms. Future studies will investigate whether S/H features are associated with altered immunity (Th2 dominance), including secretion of mast cell products that alter pain pathways. ME+S/H cases may represent a distinct subgroup with unique patterns of somatic comorbidity that may help predict response to selected therapeutic approaches.

aimossy

Here is the Unger/CDC VO2 paper abstract and they also looked at Lactate. I think my heads going to explode regarding varying findings soon....

"Exercise testing data from the Multi-Site Clinic Assessment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

(MCAM) Study Dane B. Cook1,3, Jin-Mann S. Lin2, Elizabeth R. Unger2 Ryan Dougherty1,3, Stephanie Van Riper1,3 and MCACM Workgroup 1 William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, Madison WI, 2Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta GA, 3University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison WI

Background: Exercise testing has proven useful for both determining aerobic fitness and as a physical stressor in ME/CFS. Objective: To describe preliminary cardiopulmonary exercise testing data from the MCAM Study. Methods: Maximal exercise testing was performed in six clinics using a ramped protocol on a cycle ergometer. Exercise began with a one-minute warm-up. Thereafter, exercise intensity increased at a rate of 15-Watts/min until volitional exhaustion. Oxygen consumption (VO2), carbon dioxide production, ventilation (VE), heart rate (HR) and perceived exertion (RPE) were directly measured using a metabolic cart, HR monitor and RPE scale, respectively. Lactate was measured from blood (finger stick) at baseline, minute-2, peak exercise and minutes 3, 6 and 10 during recovery. Metabolic and perceptual data were independently and blindly assessed to determine peak effort criteria, anaerobic threshold, lactate and perceived exertion responses during exercise. Following blind assessment, data were coded for gender and illness category. Peak exercise effort was determined using American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) criteria and relaxed criteria for respiratory exchange ratio (RER=1.1) and HR (85%_age-predicted max) Anaerobic threshold was determined using the Vslope method.

Results: One-hundred and eighty tests were evaluated including 135 (39 male) ME/CFS patients and 45 (18 male) controls. ME/CFS patients were significantly older (ME/CFS: 50.2±13 yrs; control: 42.5±14.5 yrs, p<0.05), heavier (ME/CFS: 173.5±41.2 lbs; control: 152.9±33.3 lbs, p<0.05) and had higher BMIs (ME/CFS: 27.3±5.8; control: 24.6±4.5, p<0.05). Over 80% of the sample achieved peak exercise effort using ACSM criteria. When the criteria were relaxed, 92% of the sample met criteria. Percentages of achieving peak effort were similar for ME/CFS and controls for both ACSM (ME/CFS 81%; control: 78%) and relaxed (ME/CFS: 89%; control: 93%) criteria. Controlling for age and BMI, ME/CFS patients had significantly (p<0.05) lower peak VO2, VE, Watts, HR and lactate, but significantly (p<0.05) higher RER and RPE. Anaerobic threshold occurred at similar percentages of peak VO2 (ME/CFS: 54%; control: 53%) and peak Watts (ME/CFS: 39%; control: 45%).

Conclusions: These preliminary data demonstrate the validity of the exercise testing procedures for the multi-site study. Future work will include exercise efficiency assessments and relationships to symptoms and cognitive function."

Sidereal

Assessment of Neurobiological Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Benjamin H. Natelson, Xiangling Mao, Diana Vu, Michelle Blate, Gudrun Lange, Aaron J Stegner, Guoxin Kang and Dikoma C. Shungu

BACKGROUND: Psychiatric disease comorbidity is common among many, but not all, patients with CFS. Identifying neurobiological dysfunction that can differentiate CFS with and without psychiatric symptoms could advance understanding of CFS.

OBJECTIVES: To derive measures of spinal fluid white cell count and protein levels, cerebral blood flow (CBF), brain ventricular lactate and cortical glutathione in CFS patients with and without current psychiatric diagnoses compared to healthy controls (HC).

METHODS: 44 consenting CFS and 17 HC subjects were enrolled in the study. Psychiatric diagnosis was established using the Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-4 (SCID); a battery of neuropsychological tests was also administered. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques were used to measure CBF, ventricular lactate and cortical glutathione. Cell count and protein levels were determined in cerebrospinal fluid samples. P value for statistical significance was set at 0.05

RESULTS: None of the brain and CSF outcome measures differed between CFS patients with and without psychiatric diagnosis. On the other hand, CBF and glutathione were found to be significantly lower and ventricular lactate higher in the pooled sample of CFS patients compared to HC subjects, replicating our prior findings of these outcome measures. A similar group difference in spinal fluid was found with 9 of 35 patients having either high white cell count or elevated protein compared to none of 13 HC.

CONCLUSION: This study did not find differences in neurobiological abnormality between CFS patients with and without psychiatric diagnoses. However, significant differences in number of abnormal spinal fluids, ventricular lactate, cortical glutathione and CBF between the CFS and HC groups were found. Therefore, rather than focusing on psychiatric features, future efforts should instead focus on evaluating the objective brain and spinal fluid outcome measures that differed between HC and CFS as potential biomarkers of CFS.

Benjamin H Natelson MD, Professor of Neurology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and Director, Pain & Fatigue Study Center, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Suite 5D, 10 Union Square East, New York, NY 10003, bnatelson@chpnet.org. This work was funded by NIH NS-075653 to BHN. There are no conflicts of interest.

Sidereal

Blood lactate increases more rapidly after a previous exercise challenge in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) than in healthy subjects

Lien K, Johansen B, Veierød MB, Haslestad AS, Melsom MN, Kardel KR, Iversen PO

Background: Previous findings from repeated cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET) suggest that exercise on day 1 negatively influences peak oxygen uptake (peak VO2) on day 2 in patients with CFS/ME. Accumulation of lactate denotes a transition to anaerobic glycolysis, a limiting factor on maximal performance.

Objectives: The main aim was to examine the effect of an exercise challenge on peak VO2 and lactate accumulation in CFS/ME patients performing CPET on two consecutive days.

Methods: Eighteen female patients (18-50 years) fulfilling the Canadian Consensus Criteria and the International Consensus Criteria for CFS/ME and 15 controls (healthy, sedentary women; 18-50 years) performed two CPET 24 hours apart. We measured oxygen uptake and collected arterial blood samples for lactate analysis at baseline and every 30th second during the tests. Two-sample and paired t-tests and mixed model analysis for repeated measurements were applied.

Results: Lactate levels per work rate were higher in patients than in controls on both test days (pinteraction<0.001). Furthermore, lactate accumulation on test 2 occurred earlier in the patients, and later in healthy subjects, compared to their respective lactate accumulation on test 1 (pinteraction<0.001). At test 1, mean (SD) peak VO2 (ml/kg/min) was lower in patients than in the controls (24.2 (4.9) vs. 36.6 (6.2), p<0.001). Mean difference in test- retest peak VO2 was -1.4 (1.1) among the patients (p<0.001), whereas no change was found in the controls (-0.9 (1.8) p=0.07). However, the mean test-retest difference in peak VO2 did not differ between the groups (p=0.33).

Conclusion: CFS/ME patients have a higher lactate level than heathy subjects at baseline and per work rate on both tests. In addition, the first exercise test seems to induce an earlier lactate accumulation in patients, when retested the next day. This is not the case in healthy subjects. Furthermore, this study confirms that CFS/ME patients have a decreased physical capacity compared to healthy subjects, but the change in peak VO2 after repeated CPET did not discriminate between patients and healthy controls.

Author information: Katarina Lien, MD, PhD research fellow at the Department of Nutrition, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, Norway. Attending physician at the CFS/ME Centre, Department of Medicine, Oslo University Hospital, NorwayMailing address: Katarina Lien, Department of Nutrition, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, 1046 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway.E-mail address: katarina.lien@medisin.uio.noFunding: This project has been made possible by a research grant from the Norwegian
ExtraFoundation for Health and Rehabilitation. The grant proposal was submitted through the
CFS/ME patient organization MENiN – The ME Network in NorwayConflict of interest: None

aimossy

Could that arterial collection be different from the other collections ie like the blood gasses artery?