• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could the hydroxychloroquine + zinc coronavirus antiviral combo also work for enterovirus ME/CFS?

kangaSue

@Hip There was a brief mention in my newspaper today that (Australian FMT pioneer) Dr Borody is treating Covid-19 patients with ivermectin (as a safer alternative to hydroxychloroquine), in combination with doxycycline and zinc, and is claiming that this will see the person fully recovered within six days.
A California biotech is also doing clinical trials using a similar protocol after first testing hydroxychloroquine.
https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/another-treatment-for-covid-19.5531928/
https://www.trialsitenews.com/top-c...ctin-clinical-trial-targeting-covid-19-cases/

Hip

There was a brief mention in my newspaper today that (Australian FMT pioneer) Dr Borody is treating Covid-19 patients with ivermectin

I did some calculations, and found that the concentration of ivermectin used in the in vitro antiviral studies on coronavirus would not be obtainable in vivo, unless you used massive oral doses of ivermectin (ivermectin usually comes in 3 mg tablets, but my calc showed you would need a dose of around 30 grams to have an antiviral effect).

So I don't think ivermectin is going to have any useful antiviral effect for coronavirus patients. It's possible ivermectin might have some immune modulating effects which are beneficial for coronavirus infection, but that's something different.

Dr Borody has also claimed that his FMT completely and permanently cures ME/CFS. Which of course sounds too good to be true. And when I wrote to his private clinic asking for details, I got no reply.

Last edited:

Hip

I saw Fauci the other day talking about this study and saying that this study was highly flawed?

Did Dr Fauci specifically refer to this hydroxychloroquine + zinc study? Generally the hydroxychloroquine studies have not demonstrated that this drug helps coronavirus; but the hydroxychloroquine + zinc study I mentioned found some benefit for coronavirus.

Abrin

Did Dr Fauci specifically refer to this hydroxychloroquine + zinc study? Generally the hydroxychloroquine studies have not demonstrated that this drug helps coronavirus; but the hydroxychloroquine + zinc study I mentioned found some benefit for coronavirus.

Sorry it took me so long to dig the clip up. I couldn't remember where I saw it!

Helen

@Abrin , this study was retracted by the Lancet as the data were fake.

There is sadly a lot of politics, or economics, in the banning of HCQ
https://greatgameindia.com/gilead-death-threats-hcq/

Dr. Ian Lipkin, who also do research in ME, was given HCQ by his doctor colleague, when he was infected by corona. In a video, which I´m sorry I can´t find now, he said he could feel the change to the better in just some hours. From what I learnt, HCQ is an effective medicine if given with zinc from the very beginning of COVID.

In this video doctors witness about its effectiveness, both as profylax and treatment. It has been taken down on social media, but is back after massive protests. Well worth watching.
https://www.bitchute.com/video/71W1O4TdJxo0/

Hip

Sorry it took me so long to dig the clip up. I couldn't remember where I saw it!

Thanks very much for finding the video. Interesting.

So Dr Fauci says that the study was flawed because many of the people receiving hydroxychloroquine were also receiving corticosteroids. The study's reported success could well be a spurious result.

Abrin

There is sadly a lot of politics, or economics, in the banning of HCQ

Sadly, there is also a lot of politics or economics in the pushing of HCQ too.

It really makes it so hard to figure out what is really going on. :(

That is why I figured I'd ask here. I know there are a lot of people on this forum way more on top of the latest studies than I am. I find it almost impossible to keep up.

hunter1899

Thanks very much for finding the video. Interesting.

So Dr Fauci says that the study was flawed because many of the people receiving hydroxychloroquine were also receiving corticosteroids. The study's reported success could well be a spurious result.

So Hip, are you still on the H+Z? How's it going?

Hip

So Hip, are you still on the H+Z? How's it going?

I've stopped it for the moment, because I was going through a period of feeling more tired than normal anyway, and then I found hydroxychloroquine was further increasing the fatigue. I may resume when I get back to baseline.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've stopped it for the moment, because I was going through a period of feeling more tired than normal anyway, and then I found hydroxychloroquine was further increasing the fatigue. I may resume when I get back to baseline.

I found this an interesting, although initially skeptical when it was a celeb dr.

hunter1899

So I wonder if patients who took HQ and Zinc to cure their covid wound up getting CFS? Or is it just those who got over covid through other means?

hunter1899

Also (as someone who barely got a B- in biology) is it possible that Zinc could help deliver Valtrex where it’s needed in CFS patients in the same way it delivers HQ?

Hip

Also (as someone who barely got a B- in biology) is it possible that Zinc could help deliver Valtrex where it’s needed in CFS patients in the same way it delivers HQ?

It is the other way around: HCQ delivers the zinc into the interior of cells, where the zinc then acts as an antiviral.

hunter1899

Is Zinc supposed to be a better antiviral than Valtrex? Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying my best to understand.

hunter1899

No, zinc is not a better antiviral than Valtrex.

figured as much. So is it out of the question that one could take HQ and Valtrex and the HQ would carry the Valtrex into areas of the body that it’s needed? Or is that not how science works and I’m just wishful thinking?

Hip

So is it out of the question that one could take HQ and Valtrex and the HQ would carry the Valtrex into areas of the body that it’s needed?

HCQ only carries zinc to the inside of cells. It does not carry any other substances.

Hip

did your CFS start with Mono?

No, enterovirus in my case. The study I linked to in the first post showed that zinc ionophores (which hydroxychloroquine is) have an antiviral effect against enterovirus, in vitro at least. Whether there might also be an antiviral effect in vivo is not known, but I thought it might be worth a try.

hunter1899

No, enterovirus in my case. The study I linked to in the first post showed that zinc ionophores (which hydroxychloroquine is) have an antiviral effect against enterovirus, in vitro at least. Whether there might also be an antiviral effect in vivo is not known, but I thought it might be worth a try.

Oh I see so HQ wouldn’t help with CFS from mono