• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could psilocybin be beneficial in ME?

leokitten

I recently saw an episode of The is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN talking about using psilocybin or MDMA to treat PTSD, and each of the cases in the episode said they took most every antidepressant or other potentially useful psychiatric medicine from the pharmaceutical industry and nothing worked, but psilocybin for example did.

In the episode they didn’t discuss possible reasons as to why it works, I imagine because not a lot of research has been done, but now we have some research:

Inverse: MAGIC MUSHROOMS MIGHT REBALANCE THE BRAIN — STUDY

Kringlebach et al. Dynamic coupling of whole-brain neuronal and neurotransmitter systems. PNAS (2020)

Psilocybin has an interesting pharmacology, where it binds and functions as an agonist at many serotonin receptors and the transporter at varying affinities.

Last edited:

xebex

i think it could be, part of me wants to try it. In cananda you can buy it (illegally) online in bottles designed for Microdosing but I’m too scared. I would probably try it under supervision like they do with the LSD trials.

I’m certain all my neurotransmitters are out of whack but I believe the ME causes the imbalance rather than the imbalance causes the ME. So not sure it would be a cure but could help with crashes and PEM. A bit like Ritalin sometimes helps a crash (for me) but other times doesn’t.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

i think it could be, part of me wants to try it. In cananda you can buy it (illegally) online in bottles designed for Microdosing but I’m too scared. I would probably try it under supervision like they do with the LSD trials.

Canada is Allowing People with Depression to do Psychedelic Mushrooms

The Canadian government is allowing patients who are not terminally ill to legally consume psychedelic mushrooms, on the heels of Oregon’s decision to give people access to shrooms for therapeutic reasons.
Mona Strelaeff, a 67 year-old woman living in Victoria, B.C., said she was granted an exemption to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act allowing her to consume shrooms to treat ongoing trauma.

“I have struggled with anxiety, depression, and addiction for years,” Strelaeff wrote in an email to VICE World News. “During my psilocybin therapy I went deep, way back to when I was a little girl and all those things that happened to me. All the unresolved trauma, it came back and I was beyond terrified, shaking uncontrollably, and crying,” she said.

World News
Given a Year To Live, She Turned to Shrooms and Canada Allowed It
Manisha Krishnan

Psilocybin, the active ingredient in mushrooms, is illegal to produce, possess, and sell in Canada; typically the only exception is for approved research purposes.
But this summer, Health Canada granted exemptions to people with terminal illnesses, allowing them to possess and consume shrooms. That was followed up with Strelaeff’s exemption earlier this month, which paves the way for more shrooms-based therapies, according to TheraPsil, a nonprofit that advocates for psychedelic therapy in end-of-life care in Canada.

Fearing psilocybin is unreasonable. However, I don't think it has any appreciable effect on ME/CFS. It may help someone with coping with the intolerable though.

That seems to be the conclusion of current research.

MAPS

Canada is Allowing People with Depression to do Psychedelic Mushrooms

Fearing psilocybin is unreasonable. However, I don't think it has any appreciable effect on ME/CFS. It may help someone with coping with the intolerable though.

That seems to be the conclusion of current research.

MAPS

In the right context, with adequately trained professionals, sure.

Getting a bunch of mushrooms and doing them on your own, or doing them in the wrong company or mindset, can be quite confronting and has the potential to do psychological harm. Being afraid of such outcomes is not unreasonable.

Mushrooms and other psychedelics shroud be approached with caution. Get educated and take the necessary precautions before diving in. I have learned a great deal from various YouTube channels over the last couple years. With the right preparations a person should not be afraid, but diving in headfirst has a very good chance of leading to unexpected or undesired outcomes.