• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could 23andMe Survey garner attention for greater ME research?: "Pain, Fatigue and Cognition Survey"

I know I've seen mixed research as to how much of ME may be genetically predisposed, but being as I know there are families where multiple generations are affected, I think it's worth pursuing. I also think it's worth pursuing as these genetic repository companies have such a wealth of information, why not put pressure on them to continue to join the hunt for an ME biomarker.

All that said, I'm posting because 23andMe holds a "Pain, Fatigue and Cognition Survey." It's 3 surveys several months apart.

The optimism: If our whole ME community of millions submitted responses, my optimistic brain thinks it'd warrant attention. Most of my answers to the questions are the "severely" and "very often" responses.

You do need to be in the 23andMe database from having done their genetic test to do the survey. If you have, log in and click on the "Research" tab to find the survey.

Example question,

In the past seven days...
I have had trouble adding or subtracting numbers in my head

Never
Rarely (once)
Sometimes (Two to three times)
Often (About once a day)
Very often (Several times a day)

Thank you for reading 🙏

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I know I've seen mixed research as to how much of ME may be genetically predisposed, but being as I know there are families where multiple generations are affected, I think it's worth pursuing. I also think it's worth pursuing as these genetic repository companies have such a wealth of information, why not put pressure on them to continue to join the hunt for an ME biomarker.

All that said, I'm posting because 23andMe holds a "Pain, Fatigue and Cognition Survey." It's 3 surveys several months apart.

The optimism: If our whole ME community of millions submitted responses, my optimistic brain thinks it'd warrant attention. Most of my answers to the questions are the "severely" and "very often" responses.

You do need to be in the 23andMe database from having done their genetic test to do the survey. If you have, log in and click on the "Research" tab to find the survey.

Example question,

Thank you for reading 🙏
IMO the problem is a) no exclusion of other fatigue illnesses and b) 23andme only tests for 0.2% of your DNA.

BrightCandle

I did a 23andme test early on in my disease, so far it has found absolutely nothing of note at all. It is part of the reason why I highly doubt the NHS genetic test will be worthwhile because the existing tests already have so far found nothing as well.

SnappingTurtle

I recently participated in "The Chrome Study" by Dxterity, which focuses on ME/CFS. It would be great if 23andme and other similar companies follow suit. You send in a urine and blood sample along with medical history.

Maybe the 3 surveys are a precursor to a study. Would be nice not to have to spend our own money to give them our data. I suppose if you already participated in 23andme for other reasons, it will still be helpful to enrich the data on ME/CFS patients.

J.G

In the past seven days...
I have had trouble adding or subtracting numbers in my head

Never
Rarely (once)
Sometimes (Two to three times)
Often (About once a day)
Very often (Several times a day)
Is there a questionnaire option for "never unless I'd been asked to perform said mental arithmetic for more than 60 seconds in which case my brain pooped out like a dying lightbulb and I wound up with 2 days of PEM"? :rofl:

I haven't looked at the survey but from the title, are 23andme hoping to find a genetic signal for general fatigueability? That's pretty interesting. However I'm unsure how much pwME have to contribute; the peculiar nature of exhaustion and PEM in MECFS are so very different from "heightened" fatigue in a healthy person or even in other (chronic) illnesses. The misconception that they're somehow comparable is how we acquired the "chronic fatigue" label that's caused us so much grief over the decades :)