• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cortical autonomic network connectivity predicts symptoms in ME/CFS (Zinn and Jason, 2021)

Pyrrhus

Cortical autonomic network connectivity predicts symptoms in ME/CFS (Zinn and Jason, 2021)
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpsycho.2021.10.004

Excerpt:
Zinn and Jason 2021 said:
Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) represents a significant public health challenge given the presence of many unexplained patient symptoms. Research has shown that many features in ME/CFS may result from a dysfunctional autonomic nervous system (ANS).

We explored the role of the cortical autonomic network (CAN) involved in higher-order control of ANS functioning in 34 patients with ME/CFS and 34 healthy controls under task-free conditions. All participants underwent resting-state quantitative electroencephalographic (qEEG) scalp recordings during an eyes-closed condition. Source analysis was performed using exact low-resolution electromagnetic tomography (eLORETA), and lagged coherence was used to estimate intrinsic functional connectivity between each node across 7 frequency bands: delta (1–3 Hz), theta (4–7 Hz), alpha-1 (8–10 Hz), alpha-2 (10–12 Hz), beta-1 (13–18 Hz), beta-2 (19–21 Hz), and beta-3 (22–30 Hz).

Symptom ratings were measured using the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire and the Short Form (SF-36) health survey. Graph theoretical analysis of weighted, undirected connections revealed significant group differences in baseline CAN organization. Regression results showed that cognitive, affective, and somatomotor symptom cluster ratings were associated with alteration to CAN topology in patients, depending on the frequency band.

These findings provide evidence for reduced higher-order homeostatic regulation and adaptability in ME/CFS. If confirmed, these findings address the CAN as a potential therapeutic target for managing patient symptoms.
(spacing added for readability)

Pyrrhus

To understand this study, you may first want to take a look at the following discussion:

Central Autonomic Network Disturbance in ME/CFS: A Pilot Study (Zinn, Zinn, and Jason, 2021)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...a-pilot-study-zinn-zinn-and-jason-2021.84665/

P.S. This previous study is discussed by the author in this interview:
Central Autonomic Network Disturbance in People with ME: A Conversation with Dr. Mark Zinn
https://phoenixrising.me/myalgic-en...fatigue-syndrome/mark-zinn-autonomic-eeg-pem/

Wishful

If it's confirmed as valid neurological differences, it will add weight to the fact that ME is a real life-altering disease. The studies so far showing slight physiological differences probably aren't enough to convince politicians, fund donors, etc. For that matter, they're not enough to convince many doctors. :grumpy:

Maybe with further development, this technique can quantitatively measure brainfog, neuropathic pain and other ME symptoms.

Fixing cortical autonomic network sounds like an impossible task, because problem isn't localized. Or I'm wrong? There is also limbic system and brainstem.