• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper - a good way to monitor whether you should be taking it or not

renski

Monitor your hair analysis, if taking taking copper and the copper level is starting to show higher on the hair analysis, this means body is dumping/wasting the copper and shouldn't be taking copper and may be doing harm. I've made this mistake, so FYI for anyone.

Last edited:

pamojja

if taking taking copper and the copper level is starting to show higher on the hair analysis, this means body is dumping/wasting the copper and shouldn't be taking copper and may be doing harm.

Why? My copper levels only declined in hair, after starting supplementation. Even below normal, while in whole blood and serum copper went above normal.

renski

@renski

Without knowing if we have a "...similar situation ..." to you, biochemically or biologically, how can we derive any useable info from the hair test?

Not sure, I just noticed this in my own hair analysis. Hair analysis is helpful if you know how to interpret it but really can be unhelpful and muddle things as well.

Last edited:

drmullin30

I found HTMA to be too infrequent to be useful. If you are very good at interpreting the analysis it may reveal high copper at the time of the test but this only represents a long term trend. Since starting methylation/thyroid/oxalate protocols I've actually swung many times from copper toxicity to frank, full blown deficiency within the same few weeks.

I think this is what Fredd refers to as functional deficiency vs. overall body deficiency. I also think that at certain times I'm dumping old toxic copper with other things. My latest thinking is that this is related to oxalate deposits which trap copper, aluminum, cadmium etc. Since I've been doing oxalate detox I've had a few cycles of heavy aluminum dumping cycling with copper dumping but oxalates will also strip copper from the body so at other times I have been deficient. I have no test to show this. I go by how I react to certain supplements and toxicity/deficiency symptoms.