• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cooking for a crash.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I saw these made on a decorating show years ago. They really are quite filling but I can't have a couple of the ingredients now (eggs, gluten flour) so have to find workarounds if I want to make it in the future. (Plus, no working stove right now. Oops.)

However, I thought someone else might like these to make and save them for crash days.

Of course, it might be easier to have a mixer do most of the mixing though and then use a cookie scoop.

Sleep Nut Cookies (by Theresa Albert)

1652821211584.png

Last edited:

Inca

I use slow cookers to cook up batches of veggie chilli , curries or casseroles (I find meat hard to digest sometimes) then freeze so only need to remember to take it out of freezer and leave in fridge overnight to defrost (which can be a challenge in itself some days!) :D

I did have a soup maker but I've lost the power lead and the instructions so can't remember how to use the damn thing anymore even if I did find the power lead! May have to see if I can track down a new power lead and some subtitled video's on how to use it before this winter!

Anchoress

Slow cooker is great... also my local supermarket who deliver do excellent Ready Meals ... Just microwave.. Well under a fiver,.. Sheer luxury having it all cooked and nicely served. Food is so important for us. And missing meals all too easy..

Anchoress

My gas oven is dreadful for baking. I used to sell home made cakes asn scones etc when I was market trading but then I was in a rental with a decent oven, This one is a "bottom burner"!! Trying to order a small table top electtic oven. The govt is giving eg old and disabled a sizable amount of free electricity.. I used to bake all my own bread at one time...

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I did have a soup maker but I've lost the power lead and the instructions so can't remember how to use the damn thing anymore even if I did find the power lead! May have to see if I can track down a new power lead and some subtitled video's on how to use it before this winter!

If you Google the model number you will find an online copy of the manual. The power leads are rather generic so that one is much easier.

Soup is good food! :D

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I used to put cut onions, a can of organic cranberry sauce, and a pork roast in the crockpot and cook overnight but my brand of cranberry sauce discontinued and all the others have lemon which I react to. Consequently, I haven't been making it.

(I probably mentioned my cranberry pork in this thread before but this is for making the cranberry sauce now. :))

I had several bags of cranberries in my freezer though that I bought way back to try to make some but just never got around to trying. I found a microwave cranberry sauce recipe that's easy-peasy. (Well, mostly...always gotta say that with this disease.)

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/how-to-make-cranberry-sauce-in-the-microwave (Flip through the slides using the arrow on the right to get the ingredients and instructions.)

I didn't have an orange to zest so I used just about 1/4-1/3 cup of orange juice and then instead of the fork I used a potato masher. Plus, I added some stevia powder to the sugar just to counter the cranberry tartness a little more.

It came out well. I'm gonna freeze it to use with the pork roast I just bought.

The only bad part is the skins and seeds. I'm hoping they don't set off my IBS but they're gonna be twice cooked and when I made this with whole cranberry sauce before (the jelled is nicer) the cranberries break down a lot overnight in the crockpot so hopefully this diy version will too. :)

Last edited: