• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cookbook for ME/CFS patients?

As we all know there are all kinds of specialty cookbooks out there such as for diabetes, heart patients and the like.

What I'm wondering is....does anybody know of a cookbook designed specifically for ME/CFS patients?

Like a some of the other people on here that I've seen, I can't eat wheat, dairy or chocolate -- that leaves out a lot of foods. Not to mention the fact that I live in an area where we don't have any "specialty food" stores, just your regular run of the mill grocery store.

I need some ideas on some different recipes so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew of a cookbook out there.

ixchelkali

There's one called The Fibromyalgia Cookbook, by Shelley Ann Smith. The recipes are simple. The premise is no red meat, avoid white flour and sugar, no green peppers, lots of soy and spelt and whole grains, low fat dairy. Okay, nothing special, unless you're new to healthy eating. It needed better editing; some of the recipes have brain-fog type errors.

I think the problem with a ME/CFS cookbook is that different patients have different food intolerances, so it would be hard to make a one-size-fits-all cookbook. Although maybe it could just label the recipes for gluten-free, dairy-free, or whatever.

I've sometimes thought that we should have a recipe forum for healthy recipes that are easy to prepare.

sensing progress

There are none specifically for CFS/ME that I am aware of. However, a "paleolithic" diet works for me, and I know of one book that has recipes: NeanderThin (it's marketed as a weigh-loss book but really about the health benefits of eating a hunter-gatherer type diet). It includes several recipes at the end.

Sing

Well, I would like to offer the first recipe.

A glass of water

Sometimes that is the safest bet, the best thing.

Beyond that, for me, what works best are fish, vegetables and fruit.

Sing

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Everyone is so different. I tried to eat no red meat for years and it was a VERY bad thing for me. Red meat has important things in it. I eat lean steak, chicken, salmon, as many veggies as possible and a lot of friut. Good grains, edename etc. Well rounded and colorful works best for me. I have to work on my immune system in every meal. One cookbook would be hard. It is pretty much common sense, not overdoing anything. Knowing your own body. Food is so important.

Boule de feu

As we all know there are all kinds of specialty cookbooks out there such as for diabetes, heart patients and the like.

What I'm wondering is....does anybody know of a cookbook designed specifically for ME/CFS patients?

Like a some of the other people on here that I've seen, I can't eat wheat, dairy or chocolate -- that leaves out a lot of foods. Not to mention the fact that I live in an area where we don't have any "specialty food" stores, just your regular run of the mill grocery store.

I need some ideas on some different recipes so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew of a cookbook out there.

Shirley Plant, a Canadian author took 6 years to write her cookbook because of CFS, fibromyalgia, etc. It's called: Finally... Food I can eat! Here is an interview:
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/multiple+food+allergy+sufferers/2193161/story.html
The best cookbook ever. Delicious!

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Ice Cream Maker --ice rice milk. or almond milk ?

Has anyone used an ice cream maker? I was wondering how it would be using rice or almond milk, has anyone tried it? If its good it would be so much cheaper then the frozen rice dream. There is a Hamilton Beach one advertised for $35. It says it makes ice cream in 6 minutes and if the bowls are kept in the freezer maybe its easy, with not much standing around?

glen

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Beer Bread (bakers yeast free) 350 deg oven for 1 hr 10 min

12 oz can beer
2 tblsp sugar
3 cup Brodies self rising flour(has no yeast)

Thats it, thiose 3 ingredients and whatever you want extra
I havent tried it yet but supposed to be good