completely bedridden, extreme noise sensitive, room isolation from noise

My sister is completely bedridden and has recently been very sensitive to outside or inside noises. Despite the ANC ear protection.

We are considering isolating the room from noise. We would have the option to move her to another room for this time.

Can anyone recommend a noise isolation technique? As quiet as possible.

Mass loaded vinyl is quite effective. But this is an engineering challenge. Windows tend to be the biggest problems with sound infiltration, unless they're double-glazed.

What is the main source of sound bothering her?
Thanks for the tip, there is no single main source. Sometimes a car honks, sometimes a child shouted loudly outside, or my parents have a mishap at home. This often leads to a crash.

We replaced the window frames incl triple glass, put up blinds and put rockwool inside one of the frames
If you want isolation look up the 2 different kind of noises, impact sound and through the air

Be careful if possible, I think to much isolation can have a backward effect
as in you tend to be able to stand less and less sound

I think to much isolation can have a backward effect
as in you tend to be able to stand less and less sound
I agree that can happen. Sudden noises are a problem of me Do Please give me a warning!

but can you hang some thick quilts on the walls
I was thinking something like old wool blankets...if they are clean. (do not want old moldiness)

Wool at least will someday decay, and return to the earth.

lenora

I checked with my husband (Mr. Do It Yourself...very knowledgeable) and he suggested denim bats for noise insultation. These do not contain fiberglass insulation, so allergies shouldn't be a problem. He thinks that places like Home Depot sell them, but doesn't know if pre-washed denim is used. At least it's natural.

I hope this helps in your decision. Yours, Lenora

lenora

Rod also suggested the cardboard egg crates (about 24" square) can be nailed on the wall. In addition, he advised that you go on Amazon or Home Depot and look at the different types of noise control....some aren't as ugly. Yours, Lenora

Zebra

Hi, @Alex113

It's generous of you to help your sister in this way.

It just so happens that I was looking into such options for myself over the past few days.

The most economical, and easy to install, options I've found thus far are at this website.

https://www.audimute.com/

I'm starting out with door sealing kit, then I'm going to ask my landlord about the Isole sound barrier sheets over a shared door..

Hope this is helpful to you!

xebex

I’d be concerned about chemical sensitivities when fitting noise filtering stuff. Especially using new products. Maybe some old mattresses stacked up against the wall would help?

I find that my ACN headphones are not enough so I play brown noise into them quietly too. There a lots of different tones it basically just makes the ACN a little louder but it is supposed to have calming qualities it does help for me.

CSMLSM

I cannot suggest anything in the way of noise isolation techniques. However I can suggest CBD, it is how I made myself less sensitive to noise.