• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Complement system & Antiphospholipid syndrome test results.

ChookityPop

Would love some thoughts on these results.

Your tests have shown some abnormalities that can be random (and we will therefore repeat some of the tests in about 12 weeks) but it can also not be ruled out that it has to do with your ailments. Though in that case your missing some other classic symptoms that you possibly would expect to see at the results of the tests listed below. In addition, it is important to say that they are a number of people who fail these tests but who do not have any kind of illness.
Samples are repeated within 3 months

Analyzes:

Β-Cardiolipine IgG: 35 (<10),
β-Cardiolipine IgM: 6 (<10),
P-Beta2-Glycoprotein I IgG: 30 (<10),
P-Beta2-Glycoprotein I IgM: <1 (<10),

P-Complement C3: 1.00 (0.70 - 2.00),
P-Complement C4: 0.28 (0.10 - 0.50),
P-C1 inhibitor quantification: 0.27 (0.16 - 0.38),
P-C1 inhibitor function test: 80 (> 68),

P-Terminal Complement Complex SC5b-9: 205 (<300), P-Complement C1q: 152.0 (70.0 - 150.0),
P-Classic activation pathway: 69 (> 40),
P-Lectin activation pathway: 45 (> 10),
P-Alternative activation pathway: 68 (> 10),

CONCLUSION FUNCTIONAL COMPLEMENTARY ACTIVITY: See comment,

P-Albumin (electrophoresis): 43 (40 - 52),
P-Alpha-1-globulin: 2.6 (2.1 - 3.5),
Β-Alpha-2-globulin: 5.8 (4.4 - 7.8),
β-Beta-1-globulin: 2.8 (3.5 - 5.3),
P-Beta-2-Globulin: 2.3 (2.1 - 4.8),
P-Gamma-globulin: 6.5 (7.3 - 14.4),

P-Protein Electrophoresis:
See Comment, P-IgG: 7.7 (6.1 - 14.9),

P-IgA: 0.98 (0.70 - 3.7),
P-IgM: 0.67 (0.40 - 2.1),

P-Kappa chains, free: 11.5 (4.0 - 25.0),
P-Lambda chains, free: 9.5 (6.0 - 27.0),
P-Kappa / lambda chains: 1.2 (0.5 - 1.6),

Β-Cardiolipin IgG:
Weak positive.

P-Beta2-Glycoprotein I IgG:
Positive.

P-Beta2-Glycoprotein I IgM:
Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) is classified according to international consensus guidelines based on the discovery of either anticardiolipin antibodies, lupus anticoagulant or anti-Beta2 Glycoprotein-1 in addition to clinical criteria. In the event of a positive finding, renewed testing is recommended after 12 weeks. Weak positive anticardiolipin may be transient and due to other conditions (inflammation, infection, malignancy). Findings of several types of phospholipid antibodies (isotypes and specificities) are associated with a higher risk of APS. The level of anticardiolipin antibodies is also associated with increased risk. The 99th percentile for beta-2 Glycoprotein I IgG is 10 U / mL and for beta-2 Glycoprotein I IgM 4.1 U / mL. Reference: Ann. NEW. Acad. Sci. 2009: 1173: 21-27 Villalta et. eel.
However, such percentiles should not be perceived as absolute as the boundaries may vary from experience between different studies.

P-Terminal Complement Complex SC5b-9:
Negative.

P-Complement C1q:
Elevated C1q values have no established diagnostic significance, and may in some cases be due to analytical conditions.

CONCLUSION FUNCTIONAL COMPLEMENTARY ACTIVITY:
Functional complement activity was normal in both classical, lectin and alternative activation pathways. No evidence of complementary defect.

P-Protein Electrophoresis:
Reduced gamma fraction
Monoclonal component not detected.

Last edited:

sometexan84

Well, it's good thing you got the phospholipids tested. Clearly, you'll want to continue monitoring those.

Based on those high levels, I would def get the other phospholipids tested... Phosphatidylserine, and the Lupus Coagulant.

As for the Complement, the high levels you have do look like infection and inflammation (I think they're mainly concerned about people having LOW levels here, not high).. your body is trying to fight something, likely multiple somethings... but we already knew that.

A couple of those Complement tests are good ones. And levels weren't low. There are more good Complement tests you can do, I think I mentioned before... like the fragments (C3a, C4a, etc). Up to you if you want to pursue.

Last edited:

sometexan84

Actually, you prob want to test Immune Complexes too... since you had high activity w/ the Complement activation - https://www.labcorp.com/tests/054494/immune-complexes-profile (doesn't have to be labcorp, any lab is fine).

Oh, and if you do more Complement testing, I'd do Factor H. It'll help rule out Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (aHUS) and plus there was a study that found a Factor H related polymorphism in CFS (rs1061170).

ChookityPop

Well, it's good thing you got the phospholipids tested. Clearly, you'll want to continue monitoring those.

Based on those high levels, I would def get the other phospholipids tested... Phosphatidylserine, and the Lupus Coagulant.

As for the Complement, the high levels you have do look like infection and inflammation (I think they're mainly concerned about people having LOW levels here, not high).. your body is trying to fight something, likely multiple somethings... but we already knew that.

A couple of those Complement tests are good ones. And levels weren't low. There are more good Complement tests you can do, I think I mentioned before... like the fragments (C3a, C4a, etc). Up to you if you want to pursue.
Thanks for your input. Actually wrote those anti phospholipid antibodies as well as those complement tests you mentioned on the requisiton paper. Guess I will have to send it to labcorp or something in the US.

sometexan84

I will test for the immune complexes too, thanks for sharing.
So you think I have complement activation based on these results?
"P-Complement C1q: 152.0 (70.0 - 150.0),".
Yea

But, I mean, what you're looking to find is one of two things really. 1) do you have low levels of something, pointing to some sort of deficiency, making it harder to combat infection.... which it doesn't look like and 2) do you have very high levels of complement components that would indicate autoimmunity via completely formed membrane attack complex.... your soluble C5b-9 levels are fine, so this prob isn't the case either. But looking at those fragment levels would help confirm

Honestly, the Complement immune system is one of the most difficult research topics I've ever had to tackle. Good one Science!

Last edited: