• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

combining fluoxetine and doxepine?

I have a question my GP couldnt answer , he told me there is no danger combining Doxepine and Fluoxetine.
I dont get benzos here in Germany as they are not prescribed because they generate adiction, and i have terrible sleep problems.
i just sleep with high dose of VOMEX suppositories but its staring to give me cramps and neurological problems
i tried gabapentine- no results.zopiclone didnt helped. just the first day and gave me a hangover.
i will like to give doxepine a try but i am afraid from a serotonine syndrom.
can anybody help ?
my brainfog its terrible

i did, but i read here in phoenix rising that amitriptyline worsened the ME of the members who tried. did you tried it and how did you felt?
I have been on and off low-dose amitriptyline (10mg) for a few years. It helps induce sleep, but I don't have severe sleep problems—but I can have insomnia when crashing. With these drugs, what works for one person can be awful for another. It really is trial and error. I just wanted to point out the two anti-depressants that can help some people with sleep.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have a question my GP couldnt answer , he told me there is no danger combining Doxepine and Fluoxetine.
I dont get benzos here in Germany as they are not prescribed because they generate adiction, and i have terrible sleep problems.
i just sleep with high dose of VOMEX suppositories but its staring to give me cramps and neurological problems
i tried gabapentine- no results.zopiclone didnt helped. just the first day and gave me a hangover.
i will like to give doxepine a try but i am afraid from a serotonine syndrom.
can anybody help ?
my brainfog its terrible

Doxepine is similar to Amitriptyline but I think doxepine in my experience works better for sleep.

In the past I have been on zoloft and doxepine at the same time with no serotonin syndrome. The secret to it is to keep the doxepine low and start at 10mg and increase from there to as high as maybe 30 or 40mg while on an ssri. Remember the usual dose of doxepine for depression is 100-150mg per day so using the low doses for sleep really are low doses.

In my experience I've found everything eventually you will get a tolerance for. Also doxepine taken every night is well known for large weight gain. But it is good for sleep. I'd suggest using it intermittently like every third day as it will help avoid tolerance as well as weight gain.

I know you said the zopiclone gave you a hangover but if it put you to sleep, I wouldn't rule it out just yet. If you use it intermittently you may find the hangover is reduced. Have you tried half of a tablet? Zopiclone and other Z drugs are usually short acting and generally don't have hangovers but we are all different I guess. The Z drugs do supposedly interfere less with your sleep architect than traditional sleep meds. There is another Z drug called zaleplon which has a much shorter half life than zopiclone which you might find helpful in avoiding hangovers.

In my early first few years of cfs, anything I tried for sleep would only work for a night or 2 than stop. But what I learnt for me was that I had to change things up very regularly. You would probably have to have a very understanding and trusting dr but I'd alternate a couple of traditional type sleep meds like zopiclone and valium, then on another night I'd use say doxepine and another night doxylamine an antihistamine that's sedating.

Sleep was one of my worst symptoms from cfsme and not treating sleep made cfs much worse. If you search anything to do with sleep on this forum , especially the older posts, I'm sure I've probably posted in it lol.

Good luck with the sleep.

cheeseater

All psych meds including things like valproic acid and thorazine, SSRI's and all current and older generation anti depressants, etc all work on the same potassium channels in the brain. They are all essentially the same thing, just in different dosages. Note that this has nothing to do with potassium deficiency, which is very rare.